Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

According to today’s Sunday Herald Sun (pg 81), that won’t be the case soon:

3 Likes

He had his dads 91 st birthday this weekend.

6 Likes

You’d have to think he could be taking on Jim Wilson’s role in addition to weekend Sunrise hosting duties or perhaps there is some succession planning happening on the weekday show.

No doubt Seven has learned a valuable lesson from the Karl debacle over at Nine and could be planning on having him fill in for Kochie more often with a view to him taking over the role permanently when Koch retires.

3 Likes

Monday 10 June -

Nat co-hosting with Kochie and Eddy reading news and entertainment.
James Tobin is presenting weather this morning.

5 Likes

They do have a succession plan- Nat. And if they were chosing a male (they have no reason to), I think Matt Doran would be the shoe-in. If anything, Basil would do weekday sport for Sunrise.

But, it is likely Basil will continue with WS, host some sport coverage and sport for 7 News if he moves to Sydney.

2 Likes

I never understood what’s so special about Matt
Dotsn I see his name here mentioned quite a lot and he is a good journalist but to be hosting sunrise on a full time plan if Kochie decides to leave in the near future.
It seems to me they are preparing Bazil for something if the rumour is true the he is moving tin Sydney .

In my honest opinion two female co anchors would be a good way to go for Sunrise.

1 Like

I think Doran is the best suitable replacement for Kochie, he’s a natural when paired with Sam

5 Likes

One thing that needs to be considered is if and when Kochie retires, who’s not to say that Sam may leave before him. She did say she wasn’t going to stay on the show longer than Mel, obviously things change but if she was to leave then the female duo may not eventuate like everyone has been craving on here.

2 Likes

Extremely valid point. Sam and Nat work because there is chemistry and they have shown that they are able to maintain the lead when hosting. It would be a shame if that hosting duo didn’t eventuate permanently.

However, I believe Sam and Kochie’s contract both expire in the same year-2021. At that point, I think Koch will depart and Sam will re-sign for another few years.

Assuming she wants to stay with 7, and as long as Pell is EP, I can’t see Sam leaving Sunrise. @NewsAustralia I do remember her saying she did not want to host for as long as Mel did but you have to remember at that point she was still doing the 4.30 news, reports for SN and filling-in on 6pm and TT. To be honest, there is no role for her outside of Sunrise anymore. The executives will use that as leverage to get her to re-sign.

3 Likes

I have to agree. If Sam wants to stay on as a tv presenter (she may not in the long run), she’ll need to stick it out on Sunrise for awhile. At the moment, there isn’t any other position opening up within the network.

I can see Seven eventually opening up the 7pm slot to a live news based programme. It’s only a matter of time befor Home and Away is moved.

3 Likes

He’d have to scrub up on his rugby league knowledge given the first few sports stories on Seven News Sydney (and Brisbane for that matter) are dedicated to the sport. AFL may not come in until about the third or fourth story, and it’ll only be about the two AFL clubs in the city (Swans and Giants). It will also be interesting to see which state he will go for in the Origin, too!

It’s also inevitable he will host/commentate most (if not all) the AFL matches played in the city too. Chances are he will call the Swans vs Hawks game on June 21, followed by the Swans vs Cats on July 28 and Giants vs Dogs on August 18.

I remember a time in mid-2011 when James Tobin presented weather for 30 days straight across Sunrise and Weekend Sunrise, when Grant Denyer was on paternity leave. Ryan Phelan may have also presented sport for a month straight in 2015 too, around the time Million Dollar Minute (hosted by Simon Reeve) wrapped up production.

1 Like

I don’t think Seven will want to go down that path of having a 7:00pm variety show given it would have to compete with the second half of The Project, which sees higher numbers in its second half-hour after the 6:00pm bulletins on Seven and Nine have finished (or in the case of Adelaide and Perth, Today Tonight on Seven).

The Morning Show and The Daily Edition is enough for me.

Tuesday 11 June -

3 Likes

Sam is doing Showbiz today.

3 Likes

Maybe The Latest comes down to 7pm as a live current affairs show, less “news” but more interviews and in-depth coverage of events.

1 Like

Was the Jonas Bros concert live or pre recorded?

Pre-recorded.

1 Like

A bit weird tho

1 Like

In Sydney, or from somewhere else in the World?

They have done a few on these concerts in recent years. They record them from a rooftoop overseas (the Jonas Brothers’ one was from Beverley Hills) mid-afternoon- so it isn’t black-and play them on Sunrise later in the week.

Personally, I am not a fan of these concerts. They don’t have the same vibe when the team aren’t there to interact with the performer. Also, I found the sound was off and the crowd was relatively lackluster.

4 Likes