Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

6 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Forgive my bluntness, but can someone fire Michael Pell already? He’s responsible for these controversial ‘hot’ topics that turned Sunrise from a family-friendly show into mind-boggling rubbish.

Too many holidays probably.

This comment here astounds me. The defence people will mount for tabloid rubbish is truly terrifying.

These protestors aren’t just here because they feel like it. They’re here because a segment on Sunrise put to air two reactionary blowhards who advocated that the exact same people protesting be forced to relive a second iteration of the Stolen Generation. Not only was the segment grossly offensive, but it was also terribly misinformed, because many Indigenous children who go through the foster programme can end up with a ‘European’ family if a suitable Aboriginal home cannot be located. The commentators which Sunrise asked on were completely ill-informed and therefore are not the sort of people who should be turned to when trying to have a reasonable, informative conversation about Indigenous issues.

I have little empathy for Sunrise. They embodied the absolute worst in journalism that day, and they deserve to be inconvenienced at every turn until they acknowledge that they need to improve their standards. This doesn’t just apply to Indigenous issues; this goes toward every single other issue they discuss. How can we trust them?

Edit: I’ll add: @ShadowDan has been very vocal on this forum about issues like fake news and CNN. What’s striking is that in this instance we have a very clear issue of a media organisation (Seven) putting out inaccurate information (and this time, it isn’t really a partisan issue, but rather one which both sides of politics could agree is erroneous misrepresentation), and suddenly there’s no problem, and those complaining are the actual issue. Do you see how this is a double-standard?

4 Likes

Koch hasn’t improved. Reported on news.com.au:

During an ad break, Koch turned around to the protesters and said: “Do your homework”.

1 Like

Does anyone remember when this show at its peak campaigned for things to help the community through the ROS wall and campaigned for things to be done against climate change? Back when it was very popular it actually embodied some really good things. It’s since chased Alan Jones and the reactionary audience through stupid ignorant segments like the stolen generation one, and now it’s in some shit and blaming everyone else.

9 Likes

Whilst I agree, we now have the daily mail which escalates a lot of things.

1 Like

And that comment from Koch exemplifies his arrogance. Who did their homework before the controversial segment a few weeks ago? Obviously no one.

2 Likes

I dont have any empathy for sunrise. They actually bought this on themselves. When discussing issues that are of concern to the indigenous first point of call would have been to bring in an indigenous community or consultant that have a better understanding of how the stolen generation affected all involved. Three white dickheads is not consultancy, downright stupid.

Sunrise has always done damage to its own jouranlistic values when they pull shit stunts like this.

As for david and the do your research comment to tgr protesters , why doesnt he do that. Moron.

4 Likes

So what was your ‘dickhead’ comment about then?

Devestating ramifications for Sunrise this morning.

4 Likes

Will be intetesting to see what they do. The protesters will be there no doubt every day for the next week. Will only get larger in size. Crisis meetings at Seven GQ today.

Curtains or double glazing is great and all, but they might as well go back to Sydney because they won’t be able to even go outside.

Later after the protesters left it was all smiles. “We seem to be left in peace”. Then thanks to families “we appreciate your support and to the police as well”.

4 Likes

Somehow, I can imagine Adam Boland seeing the protests on Sunrise + all the social media reaction (not just today’s, but also what happened at Martin Place a few weeks ago) and thinking “Thank f*** I’m not being held responsible for this!”

Personally, I’d be absolutely delighted if Sunrise (or any breakfast TV program for that matter) made an active decision to never do on-location broadcasts again unless absolutely necessary.

If it’s big enough to accommodate four people and isn’t in use for Commonwealth Games coverage elsewhere on the network between 5.30am and 9am, perhaps Sunrise could broadcast from the Gold Coast News studio? Personally I think that would be unnecessary, but at the same time I wouldn’t put it past Seven to try and do something like that.

With the recent Sunrise protests at Martin Place (along with other security issues in recent years and how much it must cost in rent), it honestly wouldn’t overly surprise me if Seven are even reviewing the future of having their Sydney News & Current Affairs HQ at Martin Place.

1 Like

Should be interesting whether they will talk to the crowd next week… Or have a representative take part on the behalf of the community and have their say as to why they are upset and why I think it’s racism. It would be a good start , and publicity, for seven qnw sunrise to reach out and have a proper sensible discussion. But it would never happen.

1 Like

I think the cost cutting could be maybe more of a reason to move from Martin Place-Elizabeth Street to Eveleigh.

1 Like
11 Likes

Lol

7 Likes

My feedback would be this: when protesters next upstage the show, give your hosts a mic and go talk to them. See what they want and give them a voice. Be part of the solution instead of dismissing them as an interruption.

14 Likes

umm… Weren’t they protesting about land rights? I don’t think it was anything to do with the Sunrise segment a few weeks back.

4 Likes