Sunday 28 January 2024

It appears so, looking forward to the end of the year when Seven and Nine PR teams post press releases saying that they are Number 1, we just have to play a guessing game about which one is correct.

I think that the network and channel % really tells which network is actually leading the ratings. Also why get rid of multichannel and subscription data?

Agreed
Also the 5 City data was useful for checking which shows were being watched in certain cities, as well as how AFL and NRL programs were rating, breakfast programs, and local Sunday shows. Would of also been useful for those looking to purchase ad space on tv.

Also do we really lose the week on week ratings report? If so it will be even harder to workout who is really number 1.

While the data in the new report does help give a national total, the city breakdown and percentages also helped provide a more detail breakdown of the data. Now some dayā€™s the ratings will be easy to predict (i.e., MAFS is Number 1 again, 10 underperforming, AFL Grand Final highest rating program, etc)

One thing we probably know for sure is that Rick and Sue are smashing Nine News Perth every night at 6pm in the ratings :laughing:.

8 Likes

Day one of the new ratings report. And no one here likes it. Booo hisss to oztam. Bring back thw old ratings report. I canā€™t believe we are all agreeing to something in here. Is that a first? Lol.

15 Likes

So pretty much only Seven, Nine, 10, ABC, SBS, Foxtel and advertising agencies/media buyers will have access to all the old metrics (like shares, metro broadcast average rankings, market splits, etc) at 8:58am daily now?

While everybody else can suck eggs! :pensive:

I hope the networks are more forthcoming in media releases, unless theyā€™ve agreed/been told they canā€™t supply more info externally.

4 Likes

looks like weā€™re back to the old days pre-internet where media is only drip-fed some very basic ratings information ā€“ really only enough to fill a weekly paragraph in the newspaper in those days. But even then, channel shares were (sometimes) given. And I guess this is what ozTAM and the networks (which own OzTAM) wantā€¦ less public scrutiny of their (declining) figures.

4 Likes

Yes, given the wide variations for news and other programming between cities, Iā€™m not sure how this will work for advertisers who presumably now canā€™t make as much of an informed decision. Maybe works better that way for those selling the advertisingā€¦ national average hides under performing markets.

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is for advertisers

4 Likes

Just a note to say that I (quickly) converted the VOZ data to a table format to fit our forum because I think it is easier to read and quote than a pdf presentation. May tweak the presentation going forward.

Also, I think it would be less ā€œconfusingā€ for many if the peak and average were in different ranked tables.

10 Likes

Advertising agencies will still have access to the old metrics, it will just be the public (via media) that are missing out.

5 Likes

Networks will say what they like and wonā€™t be restricted by the data.

2 Likes

Wowā€¦ the only measurement Iā€™m interested in is Total TV National Audience Figure which works off the average national audience.

Is there a way of filtering that column to rank in order over the reach column?

2 Likes

Yep.

For example, Iā€™m sure Bunningsā€™ (one of Nineā€™s major sponsors for the Australian Open) agency wouldā€™ve known how many viewers in Sydney in 16-39s in Males were watching the Aus Open final (average) hours agoā€¦

So would Seven, Nine, 10, ABC, SBS, Foxtel and any other OzTAM or RegionalTAM proper subscriber ($).

1 Like

Itā€™s obviously pretty easy to rank based on the average audience - then it really looks like any other Sunday down to 10 News in 20th place.

New ratings didnā€™t help Ten. Still rating like crap as usual.

2 Likes

Well. This is bollocks.

8 Likes

Just remember though, itā€™s now VOZ (not the old just OzTam and RegionalTam combined), which is different metrics, such as de-duplicated data in ā€œspillā€ markets and ā€œrest of Australiaā€ estimate (such as Darwin for example - which would be higher in events like major sport vs a general program like Bold and Beautiful). Plus the figure also includes bvod (live stream and on demand stream):+1:

So if you know the regional broadcast audience or take a guess, you also have to take a guess and subtract the ā€˜rest of Australiaā€™ data as well, to come up with a metro broadcast, as well as subtracting the bvod or vice-versa.

2 Likes

It honestly makes them look even worse.
Seems like the reach is substantially higher than the audience for most of their listings on this report - which could indicate that viewers are literally tuning them off.

1 Like

Could also be some people channel surfing maybe, and sampling different shows?

But yes, many are switching off.

1 Like

This is where the whole ā€œreachā€ metric becomes clouded, because thereā€™s literally flicking channels to find a show and viewers might be sampling each for more than 1min (they will be counted) vs actually sticking with a show for say 15min, or half an hour before changing again to a favourite show for an hour or two.

2 Likes

MENā€™S FINAL OF AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2024 REACHES 5.471 MILLION VIEWERS

Sinnerā€™s thrilling five set win reaches 4.767 million viewers.

National Total TV Audience of 2.122 million - up 6% year on year.

9Network smashes Sunday night with all key demographics and Total People.

12.857 million were reached across the 9Networkā€™s coverage of AO 2024, an increase of 9% year on year.

JANNIK SINNER v DANIIL MEDVEDEV

Total TV National Reach 4.767 million

Total TV National Audience 2.122 million

9NOW AUDIENCE
Menā€™s Final ā€“ Day 15

314,000 Viewers +29% YoY

The 9Network was No.1 on Sunday across the 5 City Metro with: 50.5% Total People

4 Likes

I may have missed this bit (apologies) but does National = Metro + Regionals, or just Metro total?