Studio 10 (2015-2020)

Carlotta stabs Studio 10 front on in Rob McKnight’s podcast.

1 Like

Yesterday’s (I presume five-city) ratings were also mentioned in the news.com.au article.

To keep in line with OzTam guidelines I won’t repost them here but here’s my reaction: Wow…Studio 10 is really rating that badly now? I thought it wasn’t so long ago that they were snapping at the heels of Today Extra, but now they’re miles behind (although The Morning Show is still a comfortable #1)!

9 Likes

Here we go again… :roll_eyes: someone’s got a vendetta to bring the show down and everyone involved.
There is a choice to not talk about it but it seems like Rob really just doesn’t want to move on.
People lose their jobs every day, get unfairly dismissed, don’t get paid their entitlements. It’s not right what’s happened but he’s not the only one in the world it’s happened to. The choice of not constantly publicly addressing this is quite easy, but now it’s just coming across as sour grapes and it’s a shame. Be the bigger person to deal with this in private and move on, don’t make it a spectacle.

9 Likes

My interview with Carlotta covers many, many subjects but obviously we had to cover her leaving Studio 10 (a topic anyone interviewing her would ask). When the journo approached me to find out what is in the podcast I gave a list of all the different topics. He chose to write about the studio 10 stuff.

I do find it interesting when people say I should keep quiet… why? You all have the right to voice your opinions, so why can’t I? It’s a little hypercritical, if you ask me, to have that criticism levelled at me on a forum.

Ultimately, it’s very easy to avoid my thoughts and opinions. Don’t follow me on twitter and don’t listen to my podcasts. I’m happy in my little world doing my own little thing as a washed up producer… good luck to you all!

6 Likes

Ten needs a morning program for the Australian content quota (repeats don’t rate at all), so what do you think a replacement program would be, and would Kennerley be involved you think?

1 Like

Agree 100%.
Move on already. The continual white anting is tedious and only paints one person in a bad light.

1 Like

I totally support you calling Ten out on this. They made some dumb decisions with this show that at one point was inching closer to Today Extra and would have surpassed them in my opinion. However, their decisions have led to a failure of this show.

2 Likes

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as you have stated. It’s just a shame because from my perspective who doesn’t follow you on Twitter, listen to your podcast, it’s coming across as a vendetta that you want to bring the show down. Why not market the podcast using the content that isn’t related to studio10 as you have mentioned it is about. You are an incredibly experienced media professional and it’d be great to see other forms of content and insight come from you outside of the Studio 10 saga which I’m sure is in the podcast, but posts suggest otherwise. Unfortunately every time I see your posts on the forum, it’s in relation to this long lasting feud and legal action that is happening. Whilst it’s important that appropriate processes and you’re able to communicate you’re point of view, all I see is swipes at the network and the show which I find incredibly said. Because I see that as bringing good people such as Sarah, Joe, Ange and all other wonderful contributors down. As well as all of the crew who work incredibly hard. I just feel you’re a figure who could just move on, stop talking about it and focus on all of the positive industry elements that you can provide to these forums, Twitter, etc.
Like I said, people lose their jobs every day and majority don’t go around kicking and screaming about their former employer and I’m afraid that’s how I’m viewing things at the moment based off what I’m seeing from you.
So we all have our opinions. I’m on the outside as an average… Joe? Ha and it’s how I’m seeing it. It’s my opinion. I guess I’m just a bit diheartened by what I’m seeing.

2 Likes

Because Murdoch and NewsCorp have a vendetta against Channel 10 since they missed out on taking it over.

2 Likes

It sounds as though the only posts of mine that are re-posted here are about studio 10. I post about a variety of things and in the podcast have said many positive things about Studio 10 and TEN… I feel I’ve been very balanced actually. But I’m a guy that doesn’t believe in the BS and I do call it out, always have.

The show has some very real problems at the moment, which is a shame because I put my heart and soul into it and would have liked to see it go on for another 20 years.

Unfortunately, some very disappointing things have happened behind the scenes.

PS, have a listen to the podcast… if you love an insight into the TV industry, I think you might (surprisingly) enjoy it (plug over)

6 Likes

Understandable. Like I said I don’t follow you on Twitter.
I just believe if I was in your position probably wouldn’t come on and add fuel to the fire. The biggest power in my opinion is the ability to hold back replying to it and just gloss over it. Because at the rate it’s going it will be 2020 and it will be the same old shit going haha

Ultimately I am so appreciative you’re apart of the MS community, I just want to see you on here discuss other things other than Studio 10 and the cloud that surrounds it. Because I do believe you can add a lot to these forums.

And I’ll give the podcast a go :slight_smile:

1 Like

cheers. Admittedly, I have been quiet here for a while, so maybe I’ll start poking around again. As those who know me are very well aware, I certainly have opinions (and I like to share them)!

5 Likes

Being a professional means you walk away and move on! Enough of the sour grapes! Its becoming very tiresome of the bitchyness! Grow up and move on!

2 Likes

I just couldn’t get past the fact that News Corp got the scoop.

2 Likes

I rate @blackbox highly - he gave me my first (and likely last!) job in the industry. And also fired me, which totally sucked at the time, but I’m so thankful for because it brought me home to my life in Melbourne.

I was fortunate enough to be there in the glory days of 2016 when Studio 10 was regularly rating highly. And clearly it wasn’t anything I did but there was that freshness and comedy there when Denise first joined the panel. It just had that energy and spark.

But the rot started before Rob left. And it comes down to 3 dumb mistakes:

• Moving to the newsroom! Such a stupid stupid move and the intimacy of the studio and audience has been completely removed.
  • Extending unnecessarily to 12pm. Whoever signed off on that clearly hadn’t watched the show before. At 2.5 hours it was already long enough, but at 3.5 hours it’s a bloody telethon and the hosts treat it like it.
  • Removing the 5th panellists / having no consistency with when they show up. This was the highlight of the show in the early days.

They need to somehow fix all 3 elements for the show to have any hope in 2019 and beyond.

3 Likes

as someone who for a while hasn’t watched the show , and recently returned in . i think the show has gotten alot better denise scott is a ray of sunshine and so is angela its like the show has returned to its original roots and cant wait for kerri anne’s return to tv

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words mate, but I have to take issue with a couple of things.

The show was still rating very, very strongly until I left. This claim that the rot started before I left is just BS (and is a line some have tried to peddle to cover their own mismanagement of the show). If that was the case the show should have started soaring after my departure, when in fact its ratings started plummeting.

It was not my call to move to the newsroom or extend the show, although I did my absolute best to make it work. Those decisions were part of the ‘blue horizon’ initiative and I embraced it so that everyone else would invest in the ideas. Once again though, the ratings did not decline during this period. To suggest otherwise is simply wrong and misinformed.

If they had kept to the essence of what Studio 10 is after my departure, I believe it would have been the #2 show in 2018… that was the trajectory and there was no reason to think it would not achieve that.

The removal of the 5th panellist happened after I was sacked. The idea had been raised while I was there by the programming department, but I fought against it as I had come up with the idea of having a different 5th panellist every day as I knew it would keep the topics fresh.

2 Likes

Friday -

Dave Hughes is guest host today.

2 Likes

I agree with you!