Studio 10 (2015-2020)

I referred to that show purely in terms of its format. It’s honestly revolting- just like most of the shit on FNC.

I say make Rob Head of News and Current Affairs, but that is just me.

Honestly, I don’t think Ten should do another a breakfast show. A year ago, I would have agreed with you guys but, similar to what is happening to Today Extra, IMO the market is overcrowded with Sunrise, Today and News Breakfast which all rate well. The only idea that I like is a potential Morning News straight after Studio 10, but idea should be on hold ATM.

2 Likes

5pm news is in cruise control and no money at breakfast, crowded market. They need to worry about news in primetime, they have no news inside primetime.

4 Likes

I agree. Rob has turned Studio 10 into a successful mid-morning program, so I’d imagine that he could do wonders for Ten’s flagship news service.

If Ten really wanted to try it’s hand at breakfast TV again, I’d probably do what Seven did with Sunrise all those years ago: Start off with an early morning news bulletin and gradually expand/evolve it from there. And certainly go with a format which focuses itself more on straight news with no gimmicks rather than another fluffy, puffy show that throws cash giveaways and weeks of OBs at viewers like Sunrise and Today do.

2 Likes

the only example of this was The Circle, which was axed more to try and save Breakfast, which didn’t work.

1 Like

Need I say more then “The Circle” which was rating a lot better then Studio 10 , but was a casualty of the network’s primetime failing.

2 Likes

While Breakfast certainly was a factor- it was ultimately the Primetime scheduling that impacted on this. The combination of The Shire, I Will Survive and of course Being Lara Bingle was what cost the Network- and seeing as there is no breakfast show to cut the cost.

if Studio 10 is profitable then they’d be foolish to cut it as a budget measure though?

1 Like

Ten isn’t floundering. It has been reported multiple times that Ten’s ratings and share of the advertising spend are its best in several years. So the whole premise of your statement is wrong.

1 Like

The Circle used to rate around 50,000 in 2011/2012, with It being close to and even being in the 100,000s in 2010.

Everything Ten does has been its best since 2012. 2011 and prior should be compared.

When there were half as many free to air channels?

1 Like

I agree. Since 2011, we’ve seen…

*The analogue TV switchoff completed
*More multichannels launched, and others relaunched
*The launch of online streaming services such as Netflix and Stan
*An expansion of FTA/Foxtel online streaming services to include more programs and live streaming, etc.

Not exactly fair to compare the TV landscape right now to even the one we had in 2011-12 and I’m sure that in five years from now, the tectonic plates will have shifted even further.

4 Likes

2011 - the good old days when TV cartoons were still mildly popular? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Studio 10 wasn’t axed with Wake Up and the news because it does pay for itself, and now that it’s raking in daily wins they can charge more for those paid spots…

1 Like

Studio 10 format is clearly working.

It’s a hell of a huge cost and risk to try and THIRD breakfast show in a few years.

I would expand Studio 10 to 7am, and make the 7-8.30am block more news focused. It’s a lot let risky. You’re building on a well kn own and popular brand. It clearly offers an alternative to 9 and 7. And you can expand a staff and team that is already producing great television. Rather than starting from scratch,

After a year or two at 7 - they can think about a 6am start.

2 Likes

Completely agree with you with the 7am start. They could be smart as this will expand the Eyewitness News brand.

2 Likes

I would push The Loop format to breakfast… 6-8.30am of the freshest hits, pre recorded the day before.

Then slot in state based 2 minute noodle updates every 15 minutes (covering news and traffic mainly) live to air.

2 Likes

We already have that. It’s called breakfast radio. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think Studio 10 should trial an 8am start.

But if they want a quick and easy fix for their mornings they should stick the Family Feud repeat to 6am (I think having it as the 8am lead in for Studio 10 is ridiculous), ET at 6.30 B&B at 7am and if Ten want to spend as little money as they an I recon instead of just repeating standard cooking shows they could try and do a compilation of breakfast recipes from Everyday Gourmet and Ben’s Menu etc.