State/Territory Politics

Liberal Party held its 2022 election campaign launch at Port Melbourne this morning.

This afternoon Labor held its campaign launch at Cranbourne.

I see the vote buying is in full swing with both parties. As soon as you see an election campaign, spending promises go up a mountain.

1 Like

Some good policies from the Liberal Party. The $2 flat fare for public transport is a great idea, helping ease cost of living pressures and could also incentivise more people to take public transport and reduce congestion on the roads.

The Libs have also announced that they will build or upgrade more than 20 hospitals to help fix the health crisis, along with fixing the 000 crisis.

Is all this spending from both parties really what voters want to hear? Iā€™m no fiscal conservative, but there is a time and a place for this lazy cash splashing, and it isnā€™t while inflation is over 7% with high debt and rising interest rates.

Take the $250 electricity handouts and $2 Myki and invest it on the power grid or public transport system.

I get that getting more people to use public transport more is a good policy, Iā€™m not convinced that making it so cheap is though.

1 Like

How the heck can this state afford all this? How many more billions of things are still yet to be announced in the next two weeks?

I hope Jacinta Allen when she takes the helm starts to get our finances in some form of order.

I see what you mean, but I would personally rather they spend the money on improving services. Reducing the cost would not further encourage me to catch a local bus that runs at a pitiful hourly frequency.

2 Likes

Victoria already has a concession fare system for low-income earners. so the people that will benefit from this will be people that could afford the full fare and would always use PT anyway because it might be the only option to get to their office without parking. But everyone will suffer from the lack of ticket revenue that fund service improvements.

Flat fares are a dud: the Greens and Labor (with V/Line fares recently) have both gone down the same path sadly. Distance-based fares are what is sorely needed across the network.

2 Likes

Now this is very interesting. New polling conducted by independent group Red Bridge shows that once the undecided vote is redistributed, itā€™s estimated that Labor and the Coalitionā€™s primary vote totals would be tied at 38 per cent. Daniel Andrews would still win with Labor slightly ahead on a two-party preferred basis. However, pollsters say the primary vote is patchy and showing signs of decline, and the ALP will not necessarily win a majority 45 of 88 seats.

The longer this campaign goes on it seems the gap between the two parties is narrowing. It will be interesting to see who forms government in two weeks time - itā€™s too hard to tell at this point.

I wouldnā€™t get too excited for your Liberal win over random polling tbh.

2 Likes

The federal election should prove once and for all how irrelevant primary vote is.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity what seats do you think liberals can pick up? They need to pick up close to 20 seats and retain all the ones they current have. Looking at last election results things were close in many liberal held seats

Itā€™s hard to tell but this polling seems to think they can do it. I do think though the Greens could pick up a few more seats, helped by the Liberals urging voters to put Labor last. A couple of seats that come to mind for the Libs to win are Bayswater and Box Hill.

A few in the liberal campaign are not happy about this one . Very odd recommendation by the liberal leader as it goes against most values and policies set by the party.

I have them winning both those seats too. But they still need another 15+ seats. And they would need to take some big labor seats to win. I would love to know where you think they are going to get that from.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦

Whatā€™s with that liberal ad about super? Are the Victorian liberals planning to nationalise superfunds to block them from investing in renewable energy?

The teal candidatesā€™ legal action is successful.