State/Territory Politics

2 Likes

The Vic Libs continue to be up shit creek.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Kristina Kenneally was unfortunately tainted by the dodgy Labor backroom who got her in there.

Wasting $1 billion by axing the inner west Metro was a big stain on her time as premier.

4 Likes

I had a laugh at this -

2 Likes

I’d go with O’Farrell being one of the best leaders. He didn’t actually do much during his short stint in power (he sowed the seeds of a few interesting projects that have become reality, though), but he fell on his sword when he was right at his peak of popularity. Baird fought both the conservatives and the liberals by introducing the lockouts AND the greyhound racing ban and lost out big time. Gladys, she’s not a great figurehead I’d say. She doesn’t project the ‘leader’ image very well, especially at press conferences. She was better in the more behind the scenes roles as Transport Minister and Treasurer…

Rees and Keneally were by far the worst, overseeing MASSIVELY incompetent governments running about like headless chooks.

IMO the pattern that seemed to emerge in my mind is that NSW Labor were massively incompetent and couldn’t govern (see the great stagnation of 2000-2010 because their “act as if Sydney’s full while the immigrants continue to flow in” strategy didn’t work). The Libs are avoiding (low interest) government debt at all costs, which means selling off the family silver. I think their governance over various things has been better than Labor’s, especially with infrastructure projects.

Jodi McKay - GOD HELP US if she becomes next premier. She doesn’t seem to know what she’s talking about half the time. The standard position seems to be “oppose the government, even if it’s an objectively good idea”. And her two predecessors weren’t great either, and that’s BEFORE you consider one of them sexually assaulted an ABC journalist.

IMO Labor would probably be a shoe-in if they got some progressive policies under their belt so they could start making real points of difference between them and the Liberals other than ‘tRaInS tOo WiDe FoR tHe TuNnElS!!!’, but NSW Labor is mostly controlled by the Right faction (controlled by old Catholics and quite religious ethnic groups) so that’s not going to happen any time soon.

2 Likes

For all the many faults of the NSW Liberals over the past decade, I don’t disagree that Nathan Rees and Kristina Keneally were rather poor leaders. Morris Iemma wasn’t that great either IIRC.

Bob Carr’s legacy is mixed, I think. Seemed reasonably well respected during the first five years or so in office, but that '95 to Olympics-ish sheen had definitely worn off by the time he retired.

That NSW Opposition Leader was terrible. Then again, he’s not the only questionable politician to have served that part of the world (yes, I’m referring to a certain deputy mayor of the now former Auburn Council) in recent years…

…although I don’t think you’re going to hear many positive opinions about Gladys during her time as Transport Minister from residents in suburbs of Western Sydney who’ve seen their train services cut!

2 Likes

Bingo, and the fact that Jordies is out there trying to convince a younger demographic that the NSW Labor Right is decent shows you just how much they’re refusing to adopt a progressive platform.

4 Likes

Berejiklian is Morrison’s mouthpiece.

2 Likes

What’s the saddest thing about all of this is that there is no decent 3rd party in NSW that can legitimately compete for power. We’re stuck with the corrupt Coalition with discount Squidward and Labor with a 3rd rate news reader as their leaders.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s quite sickening. Wonder what he’s got over her. Is she connected to his mega-church?

That’s overly generous when describing Berejiklian. At least Squidward had good intentions, don’t know if the same can be said about Berejiklian.

2 Likes

On Twitter that is always the default wrong assumption if someone is an acquaintance of Morrison. Berejiklian goes to an Armenian Apostolic Church, which is similar to the Catholic Church.

I’m sure it’s not always wrong.

1 Like

Not gonna lie - would vote if she deteriorated into a long haired, bearded and ranting wino. :rofl:

3 Likes

“I did not branch stack to get my seat. I was an organiser for the SDA union in the western suburbs and was backed by the SDA union for preselection. I have never engaged in branch-stacking activity.

As we know, the Kororoit pre-selection was not controversial in the slightest and had nothing to do with an almost-entirely ALP led council imploding in 2009

1 Like

Richard Willingham twitter
: Vic Labor’s audit has wrapped up. Jenny Macklin says more than 1800 non-genuine members have been kicked out and “referred two of what we believe to be the most serious cases to the Party’s internal Disputes Tribunal for alleged breach of branch stacking rules”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic-labor-audit-unmasks-1800-fake-members-062618714--spt.html

This new legislation kicks in from March in SA. I am surprised this is coming from a Liberal Government but is fantastic. Wish other states would get on board. Victoria and New South Wales have been way too slow to ban plastics (the plastic bag ban was way too late)

Single-use plastic ban to kick in from March | Premier of South Australia

2 Likes