Stan Sport

bein sports australia atp deal is until end of 2024 season

Ah cool, quite happy for that to stay on BEIN

2 Likes

same

Stan acquiring Indycars is a homecoming of sorts for its owner Nine. Nine used to show Indycar races on late night Mondays in the 1990s, and the Australian leg live.

4 Likes
1 Like

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/01/13/nowhere-near-my-class-level-sonny-bill-williams-vs-barry-hall-fight-locked-in-leaving-gallen-in-the-cold/

It is the first foray into pay-per-view sport for Stan, with the streaming service making it available to existing Stan customers to purchase for $50.

Stan Event PPV

Saying that it’s only available for existing subscribers is a bad way to frame it, they’re pushing away people from the outset. Why not say that it’s open to buy for everyone, with a free 30 day Stan entertainment trial included for new customers.

5 Likes

They are. That quote is the The Roar article.

Here’s the official word:

TURF WAR Pay-Per-View fight on Stan Event will be available for any Stan customer to purchase for $50. Customers that are new to Stan can sign up for a 30 day free trial and then purchase the fight when available. Fans can register their interest by visiting:
https://www.stan.com.au/turfwar

The problem is if you’re a lapsed Stan subscriber (ie; you don’t have a current Stan subscription), you can’t purchase the PPV on its own - you have to re-subscribe to Stan before being able to get the PPV.

By contrast, Main Event PPVs on Kayo don’t require users to have a Kayo subscription in order to purchase the PPV.

2 Likes

Much like the people fighting, you probably need to have some level of brain damage to pay 50 bucks for this.

11 Likes

Effectively adding $10 to the price every time they have an event to the casual user. For a best of both worlds scenario, they could say buying a Stan Event also signs you up to 7 days of Stan, which auto renews for a month unless the customer cancels.

That way Stan gets to capture people who find out they enjoy Stan or who forgets to cancel, and returning customers could cancel the auto renew and save the $$

2 Likes

Kayo does something similar if you purchase a PPV and aren’t a subscriber in that you get full access to Kayo for a few days after the PPV event (which aligns with when the window to watch it on-demand ends).

3 Likes

Stan has the rights to Formula E

1 Like

Do they?

Formula E dont have a local broadcaster for this weekends round according to their website

1 Like

It quietly appeared on the app today without any announcement.

5 Likes

Wow! Another series lost by Foxsports

2 Likes

Stan is certainly ramping up their interest in motorsport, first WRC, WEC and Indycar, and now Formula E as well.

Suggests to me they’ll be making a big play at the F1 rights next year. Given the silence since the few reports some time ago of the F1 rights staying with Fox I would guess at this point those reports were not correct.

F1 would be an ideal property to split across Stan and Nine- you could put everything on Stan and have 5-10 races simulcast on Nine as well (to drive viewership growth and attract new Stan subscribers in the process).

7 Likes

Not a loss they’d be concerned about I’d imagine - Fox leaned into the series in its early days but recently only covered the race

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an increase in F1’s own streaming service at the expense of a number of local rights holders.

3 Likes

Yep, I would expect most new deals worldwide for F1 to be non-exclusive with F1TV also having rights. NZ is an interesting example of this- you can subscribe to F1TV Pro directly but there is also the option of subscribing through Spark (with F1TV Pro free for Spark subscribers).
Germany was an interesting exception to this trend though- F1TV Pro was withdrawn for new subscribers in the wake of a new exclusive deal with Sky Deutschland until 2024.

1 Like