Stadia

2 Likes

I think this was inevitable… I do think the proposal should include an extension to build over the railways and join the tennis centre as one sporting complex.

1 Like

i.e. this one?

3 Likes

At the very minimum, build a railway station there for major events, pretty much where the tram stop at the rear of John Cain Arena is. I don’t think you could completely close Richmond Station given how much use it gets on non event days, but redesign that so it serves Swan Street better and sports crowds get a dedicated station.

2 Likes

I think it is too soon to rebuild the Great Southern Stand, given it is just over 30 years old. A major upgrade including a new touch of paint should ensure it will last for another 20 years.
A covered walkway from the MCG to Richmond station needs to be built though.

4 Likes

It won’t be for another 5 years… and the time it’s completed it’ll be 40 years old which is warranted. Stadiums have a lifespan of 30 years these days.

2 Likes

Let’s hope it’ll be the height as the Northern Stand - my OCD kicks in when I see the MCG

2 Likes

Though ideally they’d also do a better job of covering Richmond station - when it’s pouring down you still get pretty drenched on the platforms.

The article certainly seems to overstate the need for an upgrade - there’s not a single event “at risk” due to the quality or capacity of the MCG, nor any need to go larger than 100k.

About the only thing for me would be if they could get more of the seating under cover or at least shaded - there’s parts that absolutely bake on a hot day. A full roof isn’t the answer, but I think you could do something to make it a bit more pleasant.

3 Likes

According to AFL website, new state-of-the-art scoreboards at the Coventry and Lockett ends of Marvel Stadium will be installed after the three AAMI Community Series games are played this weekend, just in time for round 1 of the premiership season.

1 Like
2 Likes

NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has shot down plans to call one of stands at the new Sydney Football Stadium “The Garrison” – but insists no decision has been made on calling it after rugby league Immortal Arthur Beetson.

Ayres revealed he had told Venues NSW to come up with six potential names for the stadium.

It opens the door for the likes of female sporting icons such as Betty Cuthbert and Marjorie Jackson to be honoured, as well as the likes of rugby league supercoach Jack Gibson and those from other codes.

1 Like

The Great Southern Stand was officially renamed the Shane Warne Stand at the end of tonight’s state memorial service.

1 Like

Sydney’s Allianz Stadium will hold a community open day on Sunday, August 28, from 11am to 3pm. It will be followed by the official opening ceremony, and a concert featuring Guy Sebastian and Baker Boy on the same day, from 5pm to 9pm.

Entry to both events are free, but you must register for a ticket (only 25,000 available for the open day) at Ticketek website.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

Does anyone think that by not naming the stands they’re waiting/praying for some global conglomerate to purchase naming rights to further recoup costs?

No they’re stopping the NRL fan backlash by not using one of their players’ names.

its a much better outcome then naming the stands IMO

1 Like

Impressions from the first visit to the new SFS

• Concourse far superior to what it was, all enclosed much more comfortable as the old stadium on the ends were somewhat exposed
  • Not bad seats from the top level (20m line, outer side, right of screen), could easily see the field
  • Food outlets could do with some planning, lines were 20 deep at 6:50 when they weren’t opening until 7PM. Lines at HT were just as long, not having self service probably doesn’t help although top level may not be used at most events.
  • Bit concerned that the men’s toilet had just a single entry/exit point when most stadium toilets in new facilities have multiple entry/exit points.
  • too focused on the on field action to take notice of the giant screens behind goals.
4 Likes