Stadia

Unpopular opinion…

Kogarah is a shit venue. Not enough toilets, not enough food outlets.

How this place is still hosting any professional sport in 2021 is beyond me. Tear the place down and move the Dragons to Wollongong.

3 Likes

Leichhardt Oval is even worse…

Kogarah Oval is a good ground for the locals, but sadly, that’s about it. Agree that there aren’t enough toilets. The toilets behind the hill (near the scoreboard) is a dump, and that’s putting it nicely. lol. Food outlets, well, there aren’t many in the ground itself, and are quite slow in service.

Sadly, there’s not much to do before or after game-day at Kogarah Oval. Unless you love playing the pokies, the St George Leagues Club across the road doesn’t offer much else. There’s a few new eateries at Kogarah though, like the refurbished Kogarah Clubhouse (RSL).

I’ve mentioned this before, but Kogarah Oval aint “closing” anytime soon. Dragons, Sydney FC nad Sharks play there short term.

1 Like

I’d agree - I’d say they’re roughly in the same vicinity of crappiness. I’ve attended $ydney FC games (as an away fan) and they’re in shitty locations.

Exactly. Same with Leichhardt.

Why does V’Landys want these places upgraded? The AFL had it right with centralising the clubs to either Docklands or the MCG. The NRL should be doing the same. If it weren’t for Sharks and Panthers owning their stadiums, the task would be fairly straight forward.

Sadly. Once Sharks upgrade their shithole, $ydney move back into the SFS, then turf the Dragons to Wollongong.

4 Likes

Crowds are already poor in the NRL - how many would just stop going if it meant a massive cross city journey to watch their team in a mostly empty stadium?

It’s impossible to justify all the stadiums being fantastic facilities, but I think a lot of the crowd base would trade comfort and food choices for convenient locations.

In Melbourne I think you already have crowds far more geographically spread out - though I certainly enjoy how the AFLW allows the clubs to return to their roots - I think that will push teams to try and get 1 or 2 games a season at spiritual homes - especially over being at Docklands.

1 Like

Well why should we cede to V’Landys’ desire to have stadiums that shouldn’t be upgraded. Tax payers deserve better.

1 Like

For sure - what I’m suggesting is don’t upgrade them significantly beyond keeping them safe, unless the clubs/NRL are paying - but don’t centralise either.

1 Like

Penrith Panthers’ home ground will now be known as BlueBet Stadium until at least the end of 2023, after the Australian-owned betting company signed a new sponsorship deal, which takes effect immediately.

BlueBet Stadium? Yuck!

Penrith stadium’s name changes since 2006:
Credit Union Australia Stadium (2006-2010); Centrebet Stadium (2011-2013); Sportingbet Stadium (2014); Pepper Stadium (2015-2017); Panthers Stadium (2018-2019); BlueBet Stadium (2020 - 2023).

Think Penrith like sports bet agencies?

Other “NRL Stadiums” with betting agencies as a sponsored home grounds include Lottoland since 2018 (Manly) and PointsBet Stadium since 2019 (Sharks).

3 Likes

The WACA will remain an international accredited venue and will have the ability to expand capacity to 15,000 with temporary seating when required.

The playing area will also be lengthened to accommodate Australian Rules Football among other sports.

The work is earmarked to start before the 2021-22 season and be completed by 2024. The ground will be able to continue to host matches while the work is taking place.

ever been to Mount Smart Stadium? Food venues are food vans, its a decent walk from the nearest train station and you can’t even see it form the station. I thought i’d gotten off at the wrong stop, and only found it thanks to some warriors fans showing me the way. it’s only 1400 metres to the staium but its well hidden.

1 Like

That more speaks to Auckland’s abysmal infrastructure rather than MSS itself. The food trucks are good!

Agree about Auckland’s infrastructure. I think Auckland is at that awkward size (around 1.6M) where it needs to get serious about infrastructure but hasn’t got the will as yet to do what’s needed. Brisbane and Perth both went through that phase when they were that size.

Light rail a possibility but has been stymied by last government’s minority partner who had veto power. Hopefully coming to a formal announcement soon.

Venues NSW reported an operating loss of $50.934m. It will now merge with the SCG Trust. More than 500,000 people attended events at ANZ and Bankwest Stadiums (about half for sport at ANZ, and 80% at Bankwest.)

https://twitter.com/footyindustryAU/status/1377772686986764288

1 Like

The City of Melbourne has approved Marvel’s redevelopment.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/city-of-melbourne-approves-upgrades-to-marvel-stadium/news-story/e8344c63264a3a03609497fdc56de0c6

2 Likes

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said on his regular segment on 3AW this morning that footy would continue to be played at Marvel Stadium during the redevelopment.

1 Like

Looks like most of the redevelopment is happening on the outside of the stadium.

1 Like
1 Like

4 Likes

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has guaranteed the federal government will cover half the costs for the 2032 Olympics, should frontrunner Brisbane be confirmed as the Games host.

The pledge was contained in a letter from Mr Morrison to Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, which arrived with the Premier late on Monday afternoon.

3 Likes