Stadia

1 Like

Did they have bollards up around the joint? That usually stops them.

1 Like

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, a NSW Government study has found rust issues in the grandstands at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium, which is often severely battered by the elements, putting doubts in the venue’s long-term future.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/saint-sinner-shoosh-win-stadium-confidence-eroding/news-story/39d2db208526fcfe891d54ce6cb576a5

1 Like

Due to paywall, not sure which grandstand(s) are affected, but the northern grandstand had over $5 million invested a few years back for rust.

1 Like

I reckon it’s the northern grandstand and the southern grandstand which are closest to the ocean.

1 Like

He doesn’t say which stands. Overall, they want to sell off the land, and build a BankWest-esque stadium elsewhere in the Gong. Problem is, the NRL also wants renos at Kogarah.

I say pick one or the other. Either Kogarah gets done, or Wollongong. The Dragons should move to a new stadium at Wollongong full time and forget about Kogarah. Tradition be damned.

1 Like

It will only be possible when Sydney FC (Kogarah’s current co-tenant) returns to the Sydney Football Stadium. The rebuilt venue opens mid 2022.

1 Like

To be honest, screw Sydney FC. They can play wherever. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Kogarah Oval is currently used as a temporary home ground for Sydney FC (A-League) and the Cronulla Sharks (NRL) while their stadiums are being rebuilt. It’s also used part-time for the Dragons in the NRL.

Kogarah Oval is here to stay for the short-to-mid term to say the least. As for WIN Stadium in the Gong, its sadly not used much. And wont be until a full-time team is based there -either in the A-League or NRL. Which may be some time.

2 Likes

Easy fixed. All Gladys has to do is tell Peter is Kogarah isn’t getting the upgrade - Wollongong is. And only on the condition that the Dragons are to move to Wollongong full time. Otherwise, Kogarah and Wollongong get nothing.

Even better - give the money to finish off the job in Newcastle.

2 Likes

You know where you can stick that suggestion.

On the table for reasonable debate? :laughing:

Seriously the Sharks and Dragons should’ve been merged or moved ages ago. The moment the A-League puts a team in the Gong that’s successful, the Dragons are fucked.

2 Likes

No, neither should be done - this idea that the NSW Government should be bankrolling improvements an ever expanding list of stadia has to end.

Unless there is going to be more professional sports played in Wollongong, any money to expand WIN Stadium is simply wasted

2 Likes

should be funded by Bermuda’s Board of Tourism.

2 Likes

Sharks should move to the Central Coast.

2 Likes

I do agree, but it’san issue when the stadiums are owned by the state. Ideally you’d sell them off to private investors and make it their responsibility, but increasingly around the world, it’s tax payers that have funded newer stadiums.

I’d put a legally binding condition that the Dragons are moved to Wollongong before any stadium deals with the NRL are done, and Kogarah is left out. But that’s just me. They don’t get any other deals unless that’s done.

They can call it the Bermuda Triangle. :laughing:

No, move the Sharks to Perth, and gut Manly to move to the Central Coast. Create a whole new team but with Manly’s players. Like they did when the NFL moved the original Cleveland Browns to Baltimore.

2 Likes

The Showground in AFL mode but with the track for today’s Community Series match. Usually that track is covered, and wouldn’t the field be bigger?

5 Likes

Never been there but I’ve always thought the first few rows have a temporary look about them from watching on TV. I’ve assumed these covered over the perimeter track.

1 Like

Yeah, a better job could’ve been done to make the 2012 Cumberland and Sydney Royal Stands blend in with the style of the Martin & Angus, Members, Sinclair, Suttor and Vincent Fairfax Stands which have been there since 1998.

3 Likes