Sports Digital Pass/Apps

For discussion on Sports Digital Passes/Apps
I used the Cricket Australia one over summer. With my mobile phone being Optus meant it didn’t count towards my data usage.

Thinking about getting the NRL but that’s a Telstra one so waiting for my new internet plan.

I got NRL Digital Pass complimentary as I am a Telstra customer. I find it quite disappointing. While the unmetered access to live games is a big plus, the experience is ruined by the copyright-protection ‘black borders’ that surround the picture. :confused:

For US sports, I have MLB.tv again this year and I’m always happy with it! :grin:

I tried the NRL one and I was disappointed, so obviously didn’t keep it.
Reasons:

• Not full screen on a tablet ie. gutterboxed (full screen only possible with replays).
  • No AirPlay mirroring support (so that I could stream it to a TV).
  • No Windows desktop support (can be viewed on laptops only).

Too restrictive.

1 Like

The National Basketball League has announced a new premium service called NBL TV, meaning fans can watch every game of the 2016-17 season on any device. Pricing and details can be found here
Perhaps the most appealing is that All Access pass subscribers can watch hundreds of classic NBL games which had been broadcast on Seven, Ten and ABC since 1979.

Since I switched over to a post paid Telstra plan, I now get NRL and AFL games streamed live and data free.

But one thing I’ve noticed after installing the AFL app just then, is that AFL games are widescreen, whereas NRL games are only 4:3… Seems very odd?

Not sure if this is the best place for this but …

ACMA Revised draft online gambling ad rules released for comment

Amended restrictions aimed at protecting Australian children from gambling promotional content during live sport that is streamed online have been proposed by the Australian Communications and Media Authority.

The proposed restrictions require a ‘safe zone’ across traditional and new media platforms during times when children are more likely to be a part of the audience.
The revised draft rules, which are being developed by the ACMA, prohibit gambling advertising during live sport that is streamed online between 5.00 am and 8.30 pm and restrict gambling advertising at other times. Similar rules have been in place across broadcasting platforms since 30 March 2018.

The revised draft rules take into account stakeholder comments received during a consultation on an earlier draft released in April 2018. Areas of proposed change include the following:

• enhanced flexibility for providers in notifying end-users of the scheduled start of a sporting event
  • removal of a previously proposed class exemption for small online content service providers
  • restriction of a proposed exemption for age-restricted services to providers that are Australian-licensed wagering operators
  • a new exception from breach in certain circumstances that are beyond the control of a service provider
  • an extended 30-day implementation period before the new rules come into force

Submissions on the revised draft rules will be accepted until 26 July 2018.

New US PGA Tour golf streaming service Golf TV will be launched internationally in 2019, initially in eight countries including Australia. The live coverage will include all six golf tours operating under the PGA Tour umbrella and nearly 150 tournaments annually, including the flagship Players Championship, the FedEx Cup Playoffs and the Presidents Cup. That means the 2019 Presidents Cup at Royal Melbourne will also be streamed on Golf TV for Australian golf fans.

https://www.itwire.com/business-technology/telstra-kicking-goals-with-afl-as-live-pass-subscribers-surpass-3-million.html
These statistics will make Seven jealous and wanting to get streaming rights for the next AFL broadcast deal, whether it’s two years or six tears in duration.

The AFL website was rebooted yesterday by moving to a new content management system with assistance from Telstra and digital media technology company Pulselive, but it means changes to the Live Pass subscriptions. Here is the notice at the website:

From 5th December 2019, we will no longer be supporting AFL Live Pass subscriptions purchased via the website, afl.com.au/livepass.

If you have purchased a Weekly or Monthly AFL Live Pass subscription via afl.com.au/livepass, your weekly or monthly subscription will be cancelled and will no longer work from 5th December 2019 .

If you have purchased an Annual AFL Live Pass subscription via afl.com.au/livepass, your annual subscription service will be cancelled from 5th December 2019. However, we will automatically extend your subscription until the 31st December 2020 without additional charge, allowing you to log onto the AFL Live Official app and website to access premium content.

If you would like to continue using AFL Live Pass, you can still subscribe via the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store within the AFL Live Official App for $4.99 per week, $16.99 per month or $99.99 for an annual pass.

So it seems you will no longer be able to stream AFL matches on computers from 2020 onwards.

Live streaming has only been available through the apps for several years now

UPDATE 8/7:

2 Likes

Not sure if Optus Sport still has the rights to the K League.

1 Like

They don’t.

2 Likes

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/127815695/sanzaar-confident-of-uk-broadcast-deal-for-all-blacks-test-season-as-super-rugby-misses-out

Super Rugby Pacific will now be shown on a new platform, sanzaarrugby.tv, in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Europe (excluding France), the Middle East, China and India/Sri Lanka, with the Sky-owned RugbyPass platform no longer an option after "challenges” in the past 12 months, (SANZAAR CEO Brendan) Morris said.

It is not the first time that the competition has been streamed overseas. Last year, RugbyPass streamed Super Rugby Aotearoa into the UK, while Super Rugby AU was shown on World Rugby’s website.

1 Like
2 Likes

GOLFTV has officially closed this morning.

1 Like

I think Golf TV only closed off access to Australian subscribers. The website itself is now geoblocked to Australian visitors but should be available anywhere else.

1 Like

Hopefully the content is available for Foxtel satellite customers