Sports Broadcasting History

i brought this a few years ago for around $15 - was searching for the 95 game and it was more expensive to buy 95 alone than every granny from 90 - 99. its great but if your after things like the adverts theres none on these dvds

b8bd46fe-e798-11e8-bf29-0242ac110004

2 Likes

Ch7 news report that Jack Dyer has died.

2 Likes

One error in that article, mentioning “MTN9 Tamworth” then later the correct “MTN9 Griffith” which was unconfirmed for coverage.

1 Like

I also watched it live but have never seen any footage since. I remember the opener was uploaded to youtube and it’s still up

3 Likes

One of Huddo’s first TV calls and one of Hunt’s only non Olympic period TV calls.

Think the thinking was they were good on radio together so Rex’d mentor Huddo for a handful of matches in 1999 on 7.

2 Likes

back in the 80s and 90s they used to broadcast the under 19s and reserves grand finals before the seniors, but did they broadcast these games at all during season proper?

1 Like

HSV 7 broadcast the one match a round of the reserves Commodore Cup and later the Army Reserve Cup in the late 1970s until 1986 on Sunday afternoons, once the Swans related to Sydney and began to play on Sundays and they would alternate so there was VFL footy on television every Sunday arvo, slowly nibbling away at ATV 0/10’s VFA audience until they pulled the pin on it.

I don’t recall under 19s being broadcast although the Herald and later Herald Sun Shield (schoolboys) was broadcast early weekend mornings.

3 Likes

When Collingwood played for the first time in 1992 did the commentators or the banner acknowledge the passing of Collingwood player Darren Millane in October 91 in any way?

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where to put this one but just saw a story on 7Tas news (and I reckon other 7 bulletins) showing a controversial goal in a grand final - didn’t quite catch all the details - but they made mention that it’s something that only has just had the mystery solved thanks to the uploading of rare footage found from an ABC camera at the time. They said the footage was uploaded by Rhett Bartlett who apparently is the son of AFL great Kevin Bartlett.
@rhettrospective , I’m taking a guess that this is you! Well done for solving decades old mysteries but also for many of the uploads you have, they’re brilliant.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yep thats me they’re referring to. Ran on Ch7 Melbourne as well.
I mean, in reality the ABC footage has been around since the day of the match in 1979, but because ABC very rarely re-transmit their archive footy footage, it sort of got forgotten about when talking about the Wayne Harmes tap-on. Coupled with the fact that its notoriously difficult to get stuff from their archive without paying a fortune (though the times Ive interacted with them they have been very generous with their time), and that not every station knows exactly what they have on file - it all means that footage exists… just gotta know where to look.

4 Likes

Being a Essendon fan, I had to have a bit of chuckle… A Richmond Fan(@rhettrospective) sorting out the biggest mystery between two arch rival of the tigers… Brave man Rhett hehehe

2 Likes

AFAIK, when Fox Footy re-airs the '79 GF during the summer, they usually show the ABC broadcast instead of the Seven one (I remember stumbling across it one day and realising Drew Morphett was commentating instead of Peter Landy)
This is a legacy of when Fox Footy first started in 2002 - they acquired the ABC’s archive of VFL broadcasts from the 70s and 80s (The Winners etc) because Seven, bitter at losing the rights, refused to give Fox anything.
It’s also notable because the ABC version shows Ken Sheldon kicking the winning goal (something Seven’s strikebreaking cameramen missed)

1 Like

SBS’s coverage of the 03/04 NSL Semi Final. Cockerill and Foster commentating; think it was Hill and Foster in the Grand Final. Orsatti and Awaritefe hosting in the studio

Think SBS had to scramble with it’s coverage after only picking it up very late. I think there was a chunk of that 03/04 and 02/03 season without any TV coverage.

When SBS picked it up (which was possibly just the finals series), they only showed the Sunday afternoon match so roughly half of the finals series also had no coverage. You can see some clips where it’s just a stationary camera at halfway.

In 02/03 I seem to remember the Expo channel eventually taking up the rights to a match a week after C7 obviously couldn’t broadcast it anymore. 7 must’ve come to some agreement with Soccer Australia (or was it the ASA by then?) as there’s coverage of the Grand Final for that season on Youtube on 7 with Zempalis hosting.

Looking back, it’s fascinating to see how mucked up Soccer and it’s coverage was back around the turn of the century. They did nothing to help themselves but were screwed by 7 and don’t think the ABC helped much either when they had rights. In hindsight they should never have left SBS in the late nineties but you can see why they were tempted elsewhere.

If anyone has some more info on this period of coverage would be great to hear it. Those are just some random memories I have after stumbling across that video and aren’t exhaustive or necessarily correct.

3 Likes

Seven (if I recall correctly) picked up the rights for 10 years in 1998/99 with some promise to have FTA coverage but for it to be a hero sport for C7 - eventually the FTA component was reduced to a highlights package weekly that often aired after midnight.

Seven were accused of trying to kill off the sport after a successful run in the 90s - there was one year where the finals series was incredibly complicated at Seven’s request - the reality was probably a little different (and the TV stuff wouldn’t have helped), but there was a lot going on off the field that culminated in the Crawford Report.

2002/03 was a particularly bad year - Seven had encouraged the move to a ridiculous 11 match finals format then walked away from showing the sport

4 Likes

I remember watching the occasional game late on Friday night. Looking at old guides, it was the 2001/02 season where Seven broadcast one game a week on Friday nights after the late news.

Also in that season, Prime Newcastle via C7 Sport broadcast at least one of the Newcastle United games in the final series. I always wondered why they weren’t allowed to broadcast all Newcastle United games. I believe Seven in Perth broadcast all Perth Glory games (home games on delay, away games live).

4 Likes

It was basically paid for by Homeart (artist formerly known as Copperart) who somehow was lured to sponsor said over bloated finals series, of which 1 game wasn’t even played (Northern Spirit was one team, can’t remember the other) as neither was a chance of making the next phase or GF (can’t remember what the next phase was post the 6 team cluster).

There were 2 eras of ABC coverage that I remember at either end of the 90s. They first covered the last winter season (1989) and finished with the dramatic 1990/91 decider (South Melbourne vs Knights who were Melbourne Croatia at the time). This would basically be a show with 2-3 feature matches and highlights of others using (mainly) Peter Gee for Melbourne based games, Mike Hill for Sydney games and Roger Wills in Adelaide (no Brisbane or Perth team in the league at that time). Let’s just say John Kosmina as studio host shouldn’t be repeated again. The late 90s where they had 2 seasons had the first year full of 5pm Sunday live games and the second a mix of live games and highlights programs.

3 Likes

02/03’s “playoffs” were basically a whole second stage, double round-robin thing for the top six - so each team playing 10 extra games before the top two went into the grand final (30 games in all, including the cancelled one - Newcastle United were the other team) - obviously only one game shown a week.

Given the state that Soccer Australia was already in, one wonders why they even bothered trying that; can’t imagine how it would’ve been anything more than a money drain by then.

3 Likes

You mentioned this tune on another forum that was played on Channel 7 during the Rugby replays, i finally tracked down, it’s called Strength,Victory, Honour by Neil Campbell Sutherland, (6) Strength, Victory, Honour - YouTube

2 Likes

Huge news. Have found Ch9’s COLOUR broadcast of the 1973 VFL Grand Final.

21 Likes