Sports Broadcasting History

Nine’s intro to day 10 of the 1988 Winter Olympics:

3 Likes

Ken Sutcliffe hosting the 1991 Skate America:

2 Likes

Sutcliffe hosted numerous Winter Olympics including the two hosted in Canada. Nine had the rights to Calgary 1988 and Vancouver 2010

2 Likes

Not the first time (a) Channel 7 has used Flashdance… What a Feeling for their footy coverage (albeit ADS, which is now 10 Adelaide).

1 Like

I got a copy of the 1991 Grand Final from VicTV today and 1992 98 and 99 from Prime!

2 Likes

Would like to see the full game

2 Likes

1971 Tasmanian Football League Grand Final is considered a LOST match.
But last month I tracked down the TV audio of the 3rd and 4th quarters.
They are now online

9 Likes

that’s amazing. Love the home-made scores summaries at the end!

From the audio I heard I guess this was from ABCTV, as I didn’t come across any ad breaks although I did skips some parts of it. Probably didn’t get any relay outside of Tasmania, either. Melbourne would have been too wrapped up in its own VFL Grand Final that weekend, I can’t imagine there was any interest in a broadcast, even delayed, of the TFL Grand Final in Victoria, or any other state.

1 Like

I’d like to see the ads for 91 and 92

3 Likes

This was from the TVT6 broadcast of the grand final. Each Saturday evening during the 1971 finals series, they televised hour-long replays of (presumably) the last half of each of the finals.

From what I’ve read, they also televised the State Premiership grand final between Sandy Bay and Latrobe (NWFU premiers), played at North Hobart a week later.

Commentators for this match were Harry Ward, Norm (last name unknown), and Ricky Graham with special comments.

I’d say you’re correct, I’d be surprised if it got much TV discussion, let alone coverage, in northern Tasmania. Certainly nothing to suggest it in the TV guides I’ve looked up.

3 Likes

awesome, thanks for that!

1 Like

Some incredibly rare footage of the Optus Sports Channel. Sports Australia during the 1996 Optus Cup. This was their first ever live telecast of rugby league.

Commentators were Terry Kennedy, Steve Roach and John Peard.

7 Likes

Optus Sport was revived in 2016 and is only broadcasting football from the Europe, Germany, the UK and Spain

So rare to see these Optus games, particularly from 1996

2 Likes

They did dabble in cricket, holding replay rights in the final years of Nine’s broadcasts and other cricket programming.

7 Likes

Oh really? Had no idea

1990 2nd Semi Final (Replay) - YouTube the replay of the 1990 2nd Semi Final between Collingwood and Essendon

1 Like

Being the only non FTA game played that wasn’t forfeited by Super League Clubs that weekend (the other 3 games, Illawarra vs Wests on Friday Night, Roosters vs Tigers on Saturday Night and Manly vs Souths on Sunday, were all FTA games), this game was probably lucky to even get coverage. I’m sure Optus would have covered a Sydney based game had the entire R1 1996 schedule been played.

2 Likes

Amazing that Optus vision ended up with only one game to launch their rugby league coverage with - a thrown together Gold Coast Chargers team v Norths

Does anyone recall how many games per round Optus televised in 1996?

1 Like