Sports Broadcasting History

In 2004, Ch9 launched their digital broadcasting of footy

8 Likes

Probably before its time. The networks did dabble in it in the early 2000s, but always went away within 1-2 years.

A Couple of Richie Benaud related clips that I came across on YouTube last night

Lunchtime Segment from the 5th test of the 2005 Ashes

Richie’s final commentary session in the U.K.

Richie Benaud: 25 Years at the BBC Special (1989)

1 Like

Ron Barassi sums up his life, at the end of his 50 Years in Footy celebration

1 Like

Promo for Fox Footy Channel from 2005, including Fox Footy Active

4 Likes

as posted last month:

1990 Reserves Grand Final (Q2 - Q4) is now online.
Commercials included

4 Likes

Watching the AB documentary on Fox, they showed some footage from the 1995 tour of the West Indies that was broadcast by PSN (now Fox Sports) reminded me that it was probably the first big skirmish between FTA and Pay TV over sports rights

If I recall correctly, Ten ended up picking up the FTA rights

3 Likes

Lol. Why would PSN do that deal.

Broadcast 24 hours delayed. Nice one Kerry!!

Yep the channel 10 deal allowed them to still broadcast live.

2 Likes

i have the original telecast of the main game that day with all but one set of ads included as an AFL historian and Darren Millane fan that’s my biggest grail

3 Likes

Yep I have the full broadcast too. Great day

1 Like

Recorded off VIC TV Ballarat by the look of things… love the local ads.
Was your family out on holiday somewhere in Western Vic that weekend Rhett? Or did you obtain the tape from someone else?

Which station was it recorded off? Because if was one of the more obscure ones (such as a regional station) you should look at uploading it in some form

1 Like

No such luck mate it’s off 7 Melbourne

2 Likes

There’s a recording on Youtube of the full 1994 Geelong v NM prelim (the greatest game of all time some say) that appears to be from Southern Cross Tasmania, it’s well worth a watch for the now dated and at times very local Tassie ads in addition to Gary’s mark and goal after the siren.

2 Likes

snap i literally just finished watching that classic game and i say that as a North fan

2 Likes

In the video of the 1990 AFL Reserves Grand Final, Peter Landy plugged Seven’s coverage of the NBL. Could you imagine had Seven retained the rights to the NBL after 1992 (when it moved to Ten, they didn’t have much luck with live Saturday games so they moved them to a later timeslot which they kept for the rest of their tenure), would Seven still have success with the NBL?

2 Likes

and here’s the full 1990 AFL Grand Final between Collingwood and Essendon recorded off Channel Seven Adelaide, thanks to Flemishdog’s archive:

3 Likes

Some more classic VFL/AFL, Hawthorn v Melbourne in 1987. This was recorded off SAS10 Adelaide (a few months before they became Channel 7 Adelaide), this feed was Broadcom’s with their commentators (Bob Skilton, Peter McKenna, Ken Hose and Barry Breen) instead of the ABC commentators (Tim Lane, Kevin KB Bartlett and Doug Heywood) we got in Victoria. Also a few minutes of WWE wrestling after the game. Thanks to Flemishdog’s archive:

2 Likes

this is actually the rare international version of Wrestling Challenge - even now, its very hard to find. The domestic version was much easier to find.

this was Episode 8

1. Hillbilly Jim vs Iron Mike Sharpe
  2. Jim Powers vs Shadow #2 (Boston, 11/7/87)
  3. Hulk Hogan vs Bob Orton (WWF World Championship) (Superstars of Wrestling)
3 Likes

At that time (1987) ATV10 Melbourne had what is now WWE Wrestling Challenge in a late Thursday night timeslot. In the early years of Ten’s coverage of WWE it was on Thursday nights in primetime (9.30pm). Perhaps SAS10 didn’t think WWE would be a huge rater in Adelaide, it was “filler” between the VFL/AFL and the news.

1 Like