Sporting broadcast themes

Top Saturday League on the ABC in 1982.

Here’s one that was used for ABC NSWRL in 1988 and also a song from ESPN’s NFL Primetime.

The theme song for ABC’s NSWRL in 1991

The theme is Stand Tough by UK band Point Break.

1 Like

An underrated theme… always got me pumped for Friday night games

The ABC ‘s Rugby League theme music in 84-85.

Catching up with the Coldest100 reminded me that Nine “rocked” the cricket theme music for the 2009 Twenty20:

It was based on the previous years intro to the Superbowl:

2 Likes

Nine tried a similar thing with the NRL having a theme performed by an artist (Billy Thorpe)

Possibly copied from ABC in America:

1 Like

Obviously not rock, but 10’s Holy Grail intro was iconic!

Can’t get much more rock than Hunters and Collectors.

1 Like

I meant the song isn’t really rock and roll, at least to me.

Channel 7 had a couple cracks at a Monday Night Football blues-rock style intro:

In 1997 for night games with If The House is Rocking - Lee Roy Parnell (for day games a version of That’s The Thing About Football was used)

And 1998-99 they used Rock 'N Footy by local country artists Donna Fisk and Michael Cristiano.

This allowed 7 to customise the song for major games, even if it was hit or miss.

6 Likes

I use to love those 1999 openers as part of the coverage. It really made it feel like a big US event style tv coverage. And it was a great calling team from seven with Bruce and Robbo on play by play. We don’t get big event openers anymore by the networks. They’re all rubbish these days.

4 Likes

Yeah love the openers and music from ‘99. The graphics were crazy too - dunno what they were thinking tbh - but were fantastic

2 Likes

That song is from the film ‘The Last Boy Scout’. The senior director of sport at the Nine Network, Geoff Morris, watched the film and wanted it for then-ARL broadcasts. The rest is history!

3 Likes

A lovely, solemn version of the Fox Footy theme at the start of this video:

And from here:

2 Likes

Here is the full version:

Credit: YouTube/darthsidusfan

1 Like

This is More Than a Game, the theme song to the AFL Footy Show, but not as you know it. In 2010, Melbourne producer M-Phazes, who has worked with artists ranging from Ruel and Amy Shark to Madonna and Eminem, put its own spin on the song, with vocals by hip hop group Muph and Candice Monique, for Triple J’s Like A Version.

I came across this version while looking for the original song on YouTube, after yesterday’s announcement that Eddie McGuire would host a special edition of The Footy Show (Gather Round Spectacular) in Adelaide on April 2.

1 Like