Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Exactly. I live in Melbourne and much prefer to listen to the regional triple M’s as the playlists has so much more variety. The capital city stations all have such narrow playlist and when you like all types of music I find myself swapping stations all the time looking for variety.

I think the best station on offer that I have heard is Hot Tomatoe on the Gold Coast. Love it

3 Likes

Sarah and Paddy to depart 2GO

Breakfast co-hosts Sarah King & Paddy Gerrard will be hanging up the headphones with 2GO.

Sarah departs after 26 years with 2GO and Paddy after 14 years with both 2GO and Sea FM.

Sarah was instrumental in the conception and success of Give Me Five for Kids, which has become a huge fundraising initiative for SCA. Paddy will be fondly remembered for his Gotcha Calls and also his fun larrikin sense of humour.

Leisa Wood, General Manager SCA Central Coast said, “Sarah and Paddy have been valued members of the 2GO family and Central Coast community over the past 5 years together. We wish them all the best for the future.”

A new breakfast show for 2GO will be announced in due course.

3 Likes

Lol, I beat you to the news by 2 mins, I posted in the Central Coast radio thread. :laughing:

what’s brought this on? Both let go at a moment’s notice after 26 and 14 years??

Probably due to a mixture of bad ratings & change in direction for the station. In the most recent Central Coast radio ratings released nearly 2 months ago, Sarah & Paddy only managed a 10.5% share in contrast to Sea FM’s Bree & Gawndy with 18.8% and Star’s Rabbit & Julie Goodwin with 16%.

3 Likes

Paul and Woody pull the plug on Hit 100.9FM breakfast show after four-year partnership.

ONE of Hobart’s most popular radio duos has signed off for the last time after a four-year partnership.

Paul and Woody, the breakfast crew from Hit 100.9FM and Sunday Tasmanian columnists, pulled the plug at 9am today.

Both are heading interstate after a four-year stint in the southern capital.

http://www.themercury.com.au/entertainment/paul-and-woody-pull-the-plug-on-hit-1009fm-breakfast-show-after-fouryear-partnership/news-story/4a7f49314d474e44792f627871c51466

SCA Toowoomba staff are working away from the 4GR studios for the foreseeable future:

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/asbestos-scare-sca-toowoomba-stations

Has it been a case of thinking, “if it’s not disturbed, it can’t be a problem right and let’s keep the contingency budget to a minimum?”

Why is this coming to light now? I’m sure Andrew Chapman who has many stints there and the engineers in between would have been over the building with a fine toothed comb, the amount of work done would surely have uncovered this?

SCA Toowoomba on air staff (4GR/Triple M & 100.7 Hit FM) are not enjoying a working holiday in Bris or GC, as the radioinfo article states, they working out of Denis House, 146 James Street known otherwise as the home of 4AK and 4WK.

Bill has spare studios and of course in times of engineering crisis, rivals are more than happy to help.

Not the first time this has happened, ABC Qld newsroom temp relocated to TVQ Mt Coot-tha due to a report on a cancer cluster at the old Toowong home of the ABC.

I’m sure a great time will be had by all.

1 Like

That’s great that Caralis was able to accommodate both Triple M and Hit.
Good on him.
Hopefully they are not having to pay too much.

1 Like

Former 2NM News Director & Morning announcer, Stephen Cenatiempo, will host a new talk program on 29 Triple M regional stations, which will air at 9pm to Midnight from Sundays to Thursdays from January 21. The program will be titled “Australia by Night with Stephen Cenatiempo”.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/stephen-cenatiempo-host-new-triple-m-night-talk-show

?

Pathetic! Where do the 40+ now go for music at night time in regional areas?

At this stage the SCA Regional Triple M stations will end up like every other station in regional Australia - wall to wall talk.

Do not like this call by SCA at all!!!

5 Likes

Agree, even city’s with 4 commercial radio station like Cairns, Mackay and Rockhampton will only have Talkback and Top 40 music to chose from at night.

1 Like

You should’ve included Newcastle as well on this, where both KOFM & 2HD will air talkback at night, whilst New FM will be the only non-Top 40 station to be playing music at night. However, 4CA, 4MK & 4CC in their respective markets, as well as Gold Central Victoria in Bendigo (all of which are owned by Grant Broadcasters), do air music at night, so at least there is one option for non-Top 40 music at night, even though it’s on AM, which would be a bizarre situation to be in when you consider that an adult music FM station will air talkback instead.

I’ve said this before, but regional commercial radio in Australia is becoming quite boring to listen to, whereas about a decade or more ago, it was nearly as good as metro radio. :frowning:

4 Likes

My mistake :blush: I thought 4CA, 4MK & 4CC had talkback at night. Last time I was up there a few years back they all had talkback at night.

I wonder where this will be hosted from? Gold Coast, Newcastle or Sydney?

I would expect this to be talk broken up by music rather than the wall to wall talk of Macquarie.

Probably wherever they already go. Evenings give Triple M their lowest ratings shares of the day in regional Australia - significantly lower than other shifts in most surveyed regions.

1 Like

This is especially true in the Gold Coast, where Gold FM only got a 5.1% share (5th) in that timeslot according to their ratings that was released last week. In Newcastle, KOFM could only manage 4th place with a 10.4% share.

As for some other markets with its Triple M stations in the evening slot:

• Hobart: 9.6% (6th)
  • Central Coast (2GO): 8.5% (3rd - although some Sydney stations which weren’t listed in the Central Coast ratings, could be ahead)
  • Cairns: 12.1% (4th)
  • Albury: 9.5% (4th)
  • Coffs Harbour: 6.5% (5th - just ahead of 2HC)
  • Mackay: 19% (2nd)
  • Port Macquarie: 22.4% (2nd)
  • Maryborough: 17.7% (3rd)
2 Likes

If previous gabfests are anything to go by, they’ll be lucky to hear two songs every hour (and it will have been played 3 times already that day). I guess I’ll be blaring music through my tablet more and more next year at work, unless I can somehow commandeer the radio to turn it onto a community station.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a go as I do like Luke Bona but if TBTN is anything to go by it could be garbage, I do t see the point of it though.

TBTN was total garbage, terrible content.

Stephen knows talk radio well and there’s good people to assist him, it should be ok.

Luke Bona’s overnight show has 2 commercial breaks an hour and 2 songs an hour (1 or 2 more in the later hours when he gets tired).

1 Like

Starting from Australia Day long weekend next month, the regional Triple M stations will broadcast “The Range with Lee Kernaghan” at 6-8am Sundays, featuring today’s country music.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/lee-kernaghan-brings-little-country-triple-m