Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

surely 2WEB Bourke would be received reasonably well? That thing booms down here most days/nights. (yes yes I know you said “commercial” … :stuck_out_tongue: )

Yep, its great to scan the FM band and only get ABC or SRN (depending on your location you might get Power FM from Muswellbrook)

Aside from parts that can get SCA stations from adjacent markets, can’t the Taree and Grafton/Lismore markets of Northern NSW also be classed as areas where you’re pretty much stuck with either the ABC or SRN/BOG stations for radio?

While I’m certainly not the biggest fan of SCA radio, compared to SRN/BOG (mainly as far as network programing is concerned, locally produced shows are generally OK from my very limited sampling) they’re the lesser of two evils as far as regional radio is concerned.

Yes, I agree, I would prefer to ONLY have access to a SCA regional duopoly vs a Super Radio Network one.

I think pretty much everywhere within the Taree radio licence area (except maybe around Gloucester, where at least Breeze is available) can get 2MC/Star from Port Macquarie. Likewise for the Parkes & Young radio licence areas, where 2GZ/Star from Orange can be heard, which their signals travel for a long distance from the top of Mt Canobolas, despite the 5kW ERP.

And yes, I agree that the SCA stations are the lesser of two evils when pitted against the BOG/SRN stations. I know that when I was in Parkes back in Easter of 2002, I listened to 2GZ/Star (when it was owned by DMG at the time & were sounding quite good) far more than the local BOG-owned 2PK/Rok FM.

1 Like

yep, I’m in Taree a lot and Star MC comes in from just over Bulahdelah and is strong and clear right through the region. 2RE and Max are good stations too… but when I’m up there it’s MC for me.

1 Like

I’m a fan of SCA regional stations. Both Local works and HIT. I get the playlist is networked from the Goldy but I do like the stations.

Me too, I know the programming is networked from the Gold Coast 99% of the time especially on the Hit network, but the music variety on the stations is pretty good. I am at the age where I am finding myself listening more often to the LocalWorks stations rather than the Hit network. The one thing I believe lets the Hit network down is way too many repeats of the current hits & not enough Old School songs especially from the 90’s.

The Greatest Years In Music did a 3 hour tribute to Bowie last night, with memories from listeners and former band members of Invertigo (Christian’s band way back) who had experiences with Bowie. It was an excellent program.

Sounds like it is safe to listen to 92.7 Mix FM again as they’ve ditched the Gold Coast playlist during the day. They’ve just played Another Brick In The Wall Pt1, Happiest Days Of Our Lives and Another Brick In The Wall Pt2 :slightly_smiling:

Bianca Dye will be doing local drive on Gold FM Gold Coast, starting from Monday February 1.

Source: Radio Today

I just heard a promo on 2MC (I’m currently in the Mid North Coast) that there are changes happening to the station & presumably the whole “Greatest Hits” network, which will take effect on Wednesday.

On a related note, it’s interesting to hear that 2MC don’t use the whole “Greatest Hits from the 80s to now” positioner on-air unlike KO & 2GO, despite using the same GC log as those two & many others in the network.

1 Like

While switching between Star FM & 963 5SE this morning, I heard that from this Wednesday January 27, 5SE will be changing to a Classic Hits format, not sure if it just some stations or all of them in the network that will be changing to Classic Hits.

2MC will be the “Mid North Coast’s Classic Hits”

I wouldn’t be surprised if both 2GO and KOFM will continue with their current “Greatest Hits from the 80s to now” branding and music format.

And I’m guessing 5SE will be the Limestone Coast’s Classic Hits!. I wonder what exactly will change with the Classic Hits format, will they just play Classic songs only from the 70’s & 80’s, no more 90’s or 2000’s music?, will see come Wednesday I suppose.

probably - 2MC already has the positioner on their website.

it’s getting ridiculous - in KO’s case, if it goes ahead with Wednesday’s change, it’s 4 positioners in 1 year:

“Newcastle’s Greatest Hits”
“Newcastle’s Real Music Variety” (after survey 1 last year)
“The Greatest Hits from the 80s to Now”
“Newcastle’s Classic Hits”???

The SCA regional network needs to get real and get it all sorted and fast.

1 Like

Too bad that I’ll be going back home to Sydney tomorrow, so I won’t be able to check it out. :frowning:
However, at least I can get 2GZ from Orange at home, who would also be adopting the “Classic Hits” format, especially if 2GO keeps their current “Greatest Hits from 80s to now” format. :slight_smile:

Any thoughts on formats for 4GR or Mix FM Wide Bay? I can’t imagine that Gold 92.5 FM will change.