Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Sophie and Nick were back last Monday on NX, Tanya and Steve KO Jan 18.

Not sure about others.

1 Like

SunFM Mildura won’t have Matman for Breakfast back until February 1 - they’re promising a new focus for the show and the promise that SunFM will give away more than $10,000 in 2016 (after giving away $10,000 over the course of 2015).

Could Hadley be dumped too? Sun’s the only station in VIC to carry the show, after all.

could never work out why SCA took him or Gloria - stick to the Greatest Hits and leave that sort of crap out of it.

1 Like

I get it for the NSW AM’ers, but for an FM station in Victoria which has no ties to it’s original callsign (3MA) and therefore can’t say it’s a legacy thing, it’s ridiculous

I for one don’t understand why 2MC Port Macquarie/Kempsey and 2CS Coffs Harbour still carry Ray Hadley & Alan Jones Highlights. Both stations which exclusively broadcast on FM the last time I checked!

Hot FM Southwest (Bunbury) is currently streaming on its website and on RadioApp due to the ongoing fire situation - they’re running sweepers promoting this, too.

Not sure about RadioWest, haven’t heard enough music to tell if they’re running the same log (similar to what KOFM and NXFM, and Star FM and The River have done during emergencies, for example) They’re playing recurrents, I guess it’s also going out on RadioWest/6TZ too.

Agreed! FM is for music!

Even AM should be for music in small markets - when there’s only two or three commercial stations there’s no excuse for networked talk.

Especially as most AM metro talk stations can be received near statewide.

MIX FM Hervey Bay/Maryborough also has Ray Hadley and Alan Jones

I agree with you that commercial AM stations in small markets should be for music, not talkback. Not only does most AM metro talk stations can be heard near statewide, but all of them can be streamed online too.

For example, in Sydney, I can receive 2ST from Nowra via Bowral & 2LT from Lithgow via Katoomba on the FM band (both are AM stations on their main frequencies), both of which offer a ‘classic hits’-based format that is quite different from WS. However, a lot of its networked programming is talk-based, which can also be heard on 2GB or 2UE, particularly on weekend afternoons when they take the Continuous Call Team. The fact that the Central Coast & Wollongong commercial stations don’t take the Continuous Call Team (2GO does air MMM NRL on Fridays & Mondays, as well as during State of Origin & Finals) speaks volumes of the fact that the Sydney stations can be heard into those neighbouring markets well, therefore “sparing” local listeners from incessant talkback on their local music-based commercial FM stations during weekend afternoons.

At least in Melbourne, Brisbane & Perth, the adult commercial music stations from neighbouring markets, both on FM & AM, don’t take networked talkback programming as much, except for the AFL in the case of VIC.

I find myself switching to my iPod in regional areas as a lot of the classic hits stations in the country are just networked rubbishy chat.

Yes I kind of feel sorry for those listeners in say North West NSW (roughly Tamworth to Moree region) where there is virtually nil chance of receiving any fortutious commercial stations that are NOT Super Radio Network stations.

2 Likes

surely 2WEB Bourke would be received reasonably well? That thing booms down here most days/nights. (yes yes I know you said “commercial” … :stuck_out_tongue: )

Yep, its great to scan the FM band and only get ABC or SRN (depending on your location you might get Power FM from Muswellbrook)

Aside from parts that can get SCA stations from adjacent markets, can’t the Taree and Grafton/Lismore markets of Northern NSW also be classed as areas where you’re pretty much stuck with either the ABC or SRN/BOG stations for radio?

While I’m certainly not the biggest fan of SCA radio, compared to SRN/BOG (mainly as far as network programing is concerned, locally produced shows are generally OK from my very limited sampling) they’re the lesser of two evils as far as regional radio is concerned.

Yes, I agree, I would prefer to ONLY have access to a SCA regional duopoly vs a Super Radio Network one.

I think pretty much everywhere within the Taree radio licence area (except maybe around Gloucester, where at least Breeze is available) can get 2MC/Star from Port Macquarie. Likewise for the Parkes & Young radio licence areas, where 2GZ/Star from Orange can be heard, which their signals travel for a long distance from the top of Mt Canobolas, despite the 5kW ERP.

And yes, I agree that the SCA stations are the lesser of two evils when pitted against the BOG/SRN stations. I know that when I was in Parkes back in Easter of 2002, I listened to 2GZ/Star (when it was owned by DMG at the time & were sounding quite good) far more than the local BOG-owned 2PK/Rok FM.

1 Like

yep, I’m in Taree a lot and Star MC comes in from just over Bulahdelah and is strong and clear right through the region. 2RE and Max are good stations too… but when I’m up there it’s MC for me.

1 Like