Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

From what I can tell it’s a bit of a mix still, however the coronavirus may have slowed down some plans as travel between Perth and Bunbury wasn’t possible for a while.

You’re correct, most of Hit’s networked connect is coming out of Perth now, from hit92.9’s second studio. For breakfast, Michelle is still in Bunbury at least some of the time.

Triple M is still mainly from Bunbury - most of those announcers are long term Bunbury residents so are less likely to want to move. However breakfast for remote WA (branded as Triple M North West) hosted by Ray Love is coming from Perth.

SCA only have 4 on air studios in Perth, and previously workdays and breakfast would use different studios to allow the breakfast team to use the studios after their show for pre-recording content as required, so I’d imagine it’s pretty crowded in there at the moment.

2 Likes

Having a listen to Triple M Central Coast today, and there’s basically no pop or newer music.

It’s also very male dominated playlist, I’ve heard maybe only 1 or 2 songs in the last 90 mins with female vocals… one being the Eurythmics (Would I Lie To You). A bit more Baby Animals, Alanis Morrissette - female rock artists would be good etc.

It’s definitely preferable to the previous format, but perhaps that is maybe TOO narrow a music format for a provincial area? (fine for a metro area).

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there will be a Central Coast survey this year.
If so I wonder what impact the new Triple M will have on the ratings.

Star 104.5 does not seem too concerned sticking to their existing format.

3 Likes

Probably not. I think over the last few years, Central Coast surveys have been done during August & September? Not sure if that’ll be possible this year.

I doubt the rebranded Triple M Central Coast will have much impact on the ratings, especially since SCA have gutted most other elements that made 2GO great in recent years.

4 Likes

I Thought the Central Coast surveys were done by telephone not by diary, so they should still be able to take place.

3 Likes

According to this post, it’s scheduled to be released on 13th October, indicating that it would take place during September. Whether it’s going ahead or not is another question, due to COVID-19.

4 Likes

Does Triple M Central Coast still air Kennedy/Molloy on delay since they’ve gone full Triple M?

3 Likes

No, they air it live at 4-6pm weeknights. In fact, it has been that way since July 2018, when it was still 2GO.

3 Likes

I wonder if pleasing a larger chunk of a narrower audience gives you better overall shares?

3 Likes

Time will tell!

2 Likes

Rock Song Dedications now on most MMM stations Saturday night.

A Newcastle and Port Macquarie Saturday 6pm comparison.

2 Likes

That Newcastle playlist is rubbish!!!

5 Likes

ELO at the top is cruel, I might leave the station on because of that, and then take a few songs to realise that’s an exception to an otherwise terrible playlist.

3 Likes

Funny I thought the opposite, I like the Newcastle log better, & I’m born & bred Newcastle.

Guess you have to know your market, & 1 thing I’ll give the Newcastle SCA guys is they do, & they’ve resisted being pushed to other network logs (especially when Mike Byrne was CD), to go it alone if possible & do it all themselves.

You can’t have 1 or 2 logs & expect a network to do well right around the country, different areas have different musical tastes for various reasons, & always have.

You have to program for individual markets, I’ve always found Sydney doesn’t work in Melbourne & vice versa, Newcastle is close to Brisbane, but while Newcastle logs might work in Brisbane, Brisbane logs won’t always work in Newcastle, Adelaide & Newcastle are also quite similar & generally logs will work both ways, get out in the sticks further regionally & one place is not really like the other.

7 Likes

Justin Timberlake into 5SOS on MMM Newcastle right now. Their transition to NEWFM is complete.

4 Likes

Where does the Central Coast fit into things, would it be closer to Newcastle then Sydney music wise?

Wollongong seems weird market music wise when you listen to the logs of i98 / Wave fm. AC/DC into Justin Bieber :flushed:
Power fm / 2ST seem to be the most consistent with their playlists.

4 Likes

I respect that you like that music and playlist. We all have different tastes. But Justin Timberlake and Adele isn’t Triple M. Never will be.

Triple M “Classic Hits” long was good too but again, poor choice under the Triple M name.

7 Likes

Well… not anymore, most of the TV studio engineering staff were made redundant in 2018 (along with about 15 radio techs) and then in 2019 most of the TV RF guys (totalling nearly 40 techs over 2 years!!) there are only 2 or 3 guys in Townsville and 1 in Coffs Harbour now that support the contribution network (microwave links etc) 1 studio tech in Coffs has been transferred to radio, also included in this cull the SCTV Tasmania engineering operations.

5 Likes

Love Song Dedications has been on Saturday nights on Triple M Sydney for a couple of months now too.

Its an awful program to have on Saturday nights, the less mindless drivel the better… its the one night of the week that should have no announcers.

8 Likes

Agree. Triple M metros should have a rock party playlist. Even if it’s pub rock classics.

4 Likes