Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Andrew Very on the GC has most of the say alongside of Mickey Maher. In Newcastle, Nick Blanch controls Triple M and is Network Music Director on weekends.

1 Like

It’s the PD that sets what the MD is to schedule in most cases. That’s who has the ultimate responsibility and should be scrutinised.

2 Likes

Well the Program Director for the regional M’s need to see if he or she are in the right job position because soon most of the 35+ will be off streaming or searching for other radio stations.

4 Likes

No need, they’re in the the ‘in crowd’ at SCA that afford protection to each other, won’t be going anywhere.

3 Likes

I’m going to post something soon with some suggestions, see what you all think. Just getting it prepared.

So I just posted a three hour metro music log here - Radio Stations - Music Logs

So many male artists, but the simple fact is this could be a base for most of the regional Ms, which can then slot other artists into the mix and make it slightly more broad. For example, in the first hour replace T-Rex with Pretenders, “Don’t Get Me Wrong”. In the second hour, take out Prisoner of Society and replace it with “White Noise”. “Numb” could become “In The End”. Third hour, Longview could become “Time of Your Life.”

Make the regional M’s a more 70s and 80s based rock edge format, move Hit slightly older to the 85-now years and make it Hot AC with less rap.

That way you have 2 clearly defined stations in the market (especially when they are the sole stations in the market) instead of them trying to play fresher hits on both stations and chewing away at each other’s demos.

Thoughts?

2MMM "Rock’s Greatest Hits"
28th December 2018
1-4pm

AMERICAN PIE - DON MCLEAN
CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA - OASIS
WHO MADE WHO - ACDC
LIFE IN THE FAST LANE - EAGLES
ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL - JET
HOT IN THE CITY - BILLY IDOL
CHILDREN OF THE REVOLUTION - TREX
MYSTERIOUS WAYS - U2
FREE FALLING - TOM PETTY/HEARBREAKERS
BLINDED BY THE LIGHT - MANFRED MANN

RUN TO YOU - BRYAN ADAMS
PRISONER OF SOCIETY - LIVING END
BAT OUT OF HELL - MEATLOAF
LAND OF CONFUSION - GENESIS
NUMB - LINKIN PARK
REELING IN THE YEARS - STEELY DAN
DREAMWORLD - MIDNIGHT OIL
LOSING MY RELIGION - REM
I SEE RED - SPLIT ENZ
SOUNDS OF THEN - GANGGAJANG

ALL OVER YOU - LIVE
SLAVE TO LOVE - BRYAN FERRY
JUMPING JACK FLASH - ROLLING STONES
LITTLE LION MAN - MUMFORD AND SONS
ORIGINAL SIN - INXS
SATURDAY NIGHT’S ALRIGHT FOR FIGHTING - ELTON JOHN
LONGVIEW - GREEN DAY
CALL ME - BLONDIE
COCAINE - ERIC CLAPTON
BEST OF YOU - FOO FIGHTERS
THROW YOUR ARMS AROUND ME - HUNTERS/COLLECTORS

4 Likes

I would be more likely to listen to HIT if they were formatted like that… A bit like what 2 DAY FM is now?

Both formats would be an improvement in what they are running now either way.

But I think I’d still prefer Triple M regionals to go back to their previous “Greatest Hits” format.

1 Like

GH is fine for some, but there’s towns like Newcastle which are more rock heritage. You can allow GH format to take 80% of that rock format, but throw stuff like Boz Scaggs, Phil Collins into the mix. It would still sound fine.

5 Likes

I definitely agree with your thoughts. Move MMM a bit more rock focused 70s and 80s but soften it a little and include artists like The Pretenders, Boz Scaggs and Phil Collins to keep a broader appeal. As a note, this is exactly what FM104 was doing in the 80s!

And yes move Hit a bit older to include some rarer 80s hits.

I’m just not a fan of that MMM playlist. Too many over flogged songs. But otherwise I like the concept.

4 Likes

I could not agree more there mate. I’ve said this all along.

Slightly off-topic, but I’ve heard “Don’t Get Me Wrong” by The Pretenders on 2MMM this afternoon. I just thought it’s an amazing coincidence given the above post. :wink:

4 Likes

Ha!

Good song though, fits the format well. Hopefully in time they’ll move the pieces around a little and widen the mix.

2 Likes

I know everybody has different music tastes but I prefer the regional Triple M’s over the Metros any day. 3MMM is all Guns and Roses, AC/DC, The Doors etr. At least the regionals has variety with a little bit of pop in the mix with new, Country thru to classics. The metro play list is so “safe” you can almost pick the next song . Away on hols at the moment and loving listening to 103.5 Triple M Hervey Bay

1 Like

Regional Triple M’s apart from the Classic Hits stations play way too much new stuff, especially Shawn Mendes :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I agree with you on the metro Triple Ms at the moment. So narrow and safe with the playlist. The same over flogged rock songs on a continual loop. They’ve gotten really bad lately.

You should also be able to sample Rebel 106.7 and Zinc 96.1 in the Bay, at least in the car. Although both aren’t as strong as they are in Maryborough.

5 Likes

More a punishment than a holiday. Have fun in the city of the newly-weds and nearly deads as my farming cousins around there encounter weekly.

Yes, as @Brianc68 suggested. try for Zinc 96 or Rebel.

5 Likes

Reception a bit patching on Fraser Island in places but will try rebel today

1 Like

Rebel is at a much lower output and different site on the main TV TX location, Mt Goonaneman; however, western coast of Fraser should have some coverage including: barge and ferry landings from River Heads/Urangan, Kingfisher Bay resort, Moon Point, Coongul Creek, Wathumba Creek (watch out for FNQ style jellyfish there).

Bundaberg FM signals from much lower and lower output site, The Hummock will also be available here.

Zinc should be fine on the eastern coast, 75mi Beach up to Waddy Point/Orchid Beach. Bald Knob (southern Sunshine Coast main site) is often easily receivable here too.

@Adrian let us know how you go, when you get mobile signal of course.

2 Likes

And Pink, and Maroon 5…

5 Likes

Not sure if it’s just because of the holidays or not, but 864 Toowoomba seems to have ditched Classic Hits and gone to the Feels Good log :frowning: