Southern Cross Austereo (Company)

SCA certainly need to do something. Someone else suggested they jettison the regional stations and cut back to just the metro and provincial markets. I agree. They don’t really seem to be utilising the network as a talent pipeline. You see people move from one regional to another, but no one ever seems to move up the chain.

Personally, I think they should just have Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. And then keep the provincial/larger regional stations in Newcastle, Canberra, Gold Coast and Hobart. Use those as the training grounds to then feed to the metro stations. Put them back on their own local music logs. That way they can train up a new breed of music directors who can move on to metro stations eventually, instead of one person sitting on the GC programming the music and the rest of the stations having glorified data entry people.

It would also mean they could have a more focused content, sales and marketing plan. Fewer stations to balance out programming wise, but also hitting each major metro and regional market in Australia with all they’ve got. Surely the small regionals they own, aren’t worth their time (and yes, I know how that sounds, but I’m talking from a business standpoint). Streamline and strengthen the network.

8 Likes

SCA Head of Radio Sales Sydney, Carla Vella, has resigned after 4 years in the role, as she has accepted a role as QLD Sales Director for Shopper Media Group.

Source: Radioinfo

2 Likes

By comparison:

Competitor HT&E, who own and operate Australian Radio Network, had a lift of 1.4% in its share price today to close at $1.45.

4 Likes

Come on Nine, buy this lingering company out and do us all a favour!

Float price: $4.75

3 Likes

Southern Cross Media’s (SXL) share price fell to as low as 14c today, down 40% from the open of trade this morning.

It was over $1 just 6 months ago.

7 Likes

Southern Cross Media has been placed into a trading halt until Wednesday.

5 Likes

Bruce bought into the stock cheaply?

1 Like

From Radioinfo:

Southern Cross Austereo today announced two new digital audio advertising initiatives to help brands find and engage audiences.

New mood and activity audience targeting utilises SCA’s and SoundCloud’s first party data and insights to identify listeners’ key habits and interests, targeting them during particular mood-states and activities.

Read more here.

3 Likes

Any truth to this one (first tweet for context)

2 Likes

Hmm, perhaps @RFBurns was onto something with some of his previous comments about the future of SCA?

3 Likes

You’d think if their financial position was that bad, they’d cut back on TV advertising.

As I’ve seen the giraffe dancing Triple M TV ad twice during Nine News Sydney tonight,

3 Likes

regarding tv advertising . i been told they are selling ad sports veryc heaply now

4 Likes

They’ve never had any idea how to maximise their TV inventory.

Why NIne allow them to represent them for NBN let alone underperform on their own when revenue is a large part of the affiliation deal is beyond me.

Nine, just buy them cheap and buy them now.

2 Likes

I get access to advertising figures. 9 in NNSW is running well over budget. The sales representatives are slaying it. They would be absolutely stoked with how it’s working out.

3 Likes

They are lucky to have an established product there, near on 60 years of recognition in the Hunter and lower mid north coast. Imagine how much better they could perform.

2 Likes

Radioinfo now reporting this story (link)

From April all staff earning over $68,000 p/a will be required to take an immediate 10% pay cut for the next six months. This change will not apply to any employees paid an award-based wage and no employee will be required to work overtime during this period.

Onair staff have offered their assistance and also reduced their fees and contracts by 10%.

Every employee will be required to take no less than 10 days’ leave between now and 30 June 2020, and those with significant annual or long service leave balances are asked to utilise as much leave as possible over the next six months.

There will be no executive incentives paid during the 2020 financial year and all recruitment activities will cease immediately

4 Likes

Southern Cross Austereo has now had its shares suspended from the ASX until 3 April.

3 Likes

@littlegezzybear is that a long time? Usually a few days?

For what reasons are long susupensions usually for? Besides failure to lodge timely reporting.

1 Like

Wish I could predict the winning Powerball numbers like I have with this.

I never imagined it would be something like a virus that would take it down, but I did know how unstable the company was, & how they were covering it up, so pretty much anything could have knocked it down, with most people being totally unaware of the impending doom.

3 Likes

Yes usually just a few days.

This is ultimately to stop the shares falling any lower & the company being totally worthless.

By cutting everyones salaries & telling them to use up holidays (so they don’t have to pay them out when the company goes broke), they essentially told everyone they can’t continue to do business as they were, they don’t have the money.
I’d say they are on a fine line of trading while insolvent, if they continued to trade, there would be a mass sell off on the ASX & the company could quite easily be worth 1c per share, or be totally worthless with everybody wanting to sell at any price, but no one wanting to buy.

8 Likes