Software Defined Radio (SDR/RTLSDR)

Good evening all. How is DAB transmitted? Are each station sent as part one of “Transport Stream” per network? Or are they all sent as the one Transport Stream?

The more I see your posts @tvcl , the more I want to get my setup even just with a simple rabbit ears. :slight_smile: My two different USB sticks don’t work. Got one of these.

Plus one of these ;

http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/Dabby.html

Played around with drivers, no luck. Did not want to mess up my DAB radio though as I do listen to it.

1 Like

The one you have pictured should work fine as an SDR if you install the Zadig WinUSB driver. In fact, I have several of the same dongle as you’ve pictured and have used them successfully as an SDR.

Thanks! Does it sacrifice the DAB software from working or does it work for both? It just seems strange it works well with the DAB player and FM Radio. You would think they would share the same driver :slight_smile:.

Screenshot for the FM Radio.

Hi Laoma. You will need to switch back/forth between the drivers for SDR function vs regular DAB+/DVB-T function.

2 Likes

Oh ok… I understand! I think it may auto install in Windows 10. I will keep playing. I got another PC I should try it out there.

You don’t get 2LT on 101.1 at your location?

Not well. I live in an apartment block so not the best for reception.

1 Like

That’s a reasonable signal for 2LT. But then again I’m a DXer, so can tolerate more than a bit of static on the signal :smiley:

3 Likes

@tvcl still had driver issues when using SDL software. I think windows 10 auto detects it. I wonder if I need to buy a new one. It would be great to have one USB stick that could cover AM and FM.

2 Likes

The SDRplay RSP1A covers both from 1 kHz to 2 GHz, so it should do both AM and FM. An antenna that covers both well might be an issue though.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out if my RTLSDR sticks are bad or I’m on an odd MATV because I don’t seem to get any Central Coast stations, in fact I get 2DayFM on 107.8. I also get Triple M on 107.05.

Any ideas what might cause this? Do I need to move to a different antenna?

101.3 and 104.5 has nothing.

I can get 97.5 97.3 and 98.1 from the Illawarra.

1 Like

A couple of thoughts.

1. Try the RTL-SDR connected directly to a simple dipole antenna wire (like the type that comes with HiFi tuners etc) without amplifier & attach with some blu-tak to window etc.
    AND
  2. Try maximizing GAIN control in SDR# for maximum SNR, the level for maximum signal, but just before where the spurious signals/overload occurs & seen on the FFT.
    Choose antenna location wisely.

These cheapo RTL-SDR’s badly overload.

1 Like

As ozbark mentioned, these aren’t real signals – just false images when the receiver is overloaded with strong signals.

If it’s connected to the TV antenna, some amplifiers and/or antennas filter out FM signals deliberately to avoid potential interference to TV signals.

There’s no 97.5 in the Illawarra, so that’s probably another false signal.

2 Likes

I think @Petarkco was meant to be referring 96.5 there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll have to pick one up, I don’t have any on hand.

12.5 db seems to be the limit before the high powered stations jump on top of lower signal stations.

I’m using the RTL-SDR Blog V3 dongle so I expect it should be okay.

Yes 96.5 image

Wobbly FM carrier from 2RES 89.7

With an unmodulated carrier I can create notches in SDR# for the carrier & the two 19kHz sidebands for instances in future for 2RES silent audio periods & hear, when present, DX underneath. This is often more effective & easier than phasing out a local station on same frequency.

2 Likes

A bright new day with the release of Version 3.0.26 of SDR Console.
Plenty of improvements.
Can now use a virtual audio cable to pipe audio to RDS Spy for RDS decoding.
This resolves some existing SDR# MPX plugin deficiencies.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/download

2 Likes

" Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 3 - 5 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience."

Oops looks like I am not a good boy this year, Santa (Amazon) has cancelled my SDR device delivery. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi all, I’m based in the UK and looking to dial in to listen to Australian FM radio.

As Laoma pointed out a couple months ago there is nothing obvious on the SDRSharp lookup that’s in Australia (there’s 3 listed as not working).

if anyone can assist, get in touch, thanks.

1 Like