smoothfm

The ad’s are driving me nuts on Smooth lately. This is why I preferred the old Smooth Perth - as it was basically east coast Smooth with barely any ads and DJ talk.

What would be a similar option to this that will work on Apple Homepod?

3 Likes

Anyone noticed the guy who does all the voiceovers and spoken ads for Smooth speaks so slow like hes talking to a room of 3 year olds? Driving me nuts.

1 Like

They’re going to get Frank Walker from National Tilesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss in as a replacement… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Id prefer him to be honest.

1 Like

No Thanks👎

I think in 2020-21 they slightly revamped their musical offering to include more edgier/upbeat songs, for example:

• “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” - Backstreet Boys
  • “Bye Bye Bye” - NSYNC
  • “Say You’ll Be There” - Spice Girls
  • “Just a Little” - Liberty X

Of course, they mostly stick to the theme of smoother and older songs, from artists such as Simply Red and Phil Collins.

2 Likes

They do play the same songs, from the same artists over and over.

Smooth is my channel of choice (I enjoy that era of music) but even for me, its a bit tiresome day in, day out.

5 Likes

It is tiresome now for me. They used to be my station of choice but now I find Breeze SO much better. Breeze play more older songs AND more new songs, and are far less repetitive.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Madeline Burke (ex almost every station in Aus (lol)) is reading news on SmoothFM this morning, and yesterday.

5 Likes

6 months since Jennifer Hansen left SmoothFM 91.5 and still no news on a replacement…

3 Likes

Nicole Gunn is her replacement.

2 Likes

Really? I don’t recall an official announcement being made by Smooth or any discussion here…I don’t listen anymore so rely on Media Spy/Instagram for all my updates :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve Found Smooth 80’s quite Interesting, They play a lot of Songs that were Hits in Australia & in the UK which are Unfamilliar to OZ Listeners (including Lessons in Love by Level 42 which I heard Yesterday) but it Reminds me of Heart 80’s.

3 Likes

Been listening to a bit of Smooth 95.3 this afternoon…

The music is quite good, very listenable if a bit on the safe side, there wasn’t really an instant “station changer” from what I heard, which included

Fall At Your Feet - Crowded House
9 to 5 - Sheena Easton
Born To Be Alive - Patrick Hernandez
Life Is A Rollercoaster - Ronan Keating
Valerie - Steve Winwood
Finally - CeCe Peniston
Grease - Frankie Valli
If I Can’t Have You - Kim Wilde
Let’s Dance - David Bowie
Close To You - Maxi Priest

And best of all, no “comedians” and hangers-on laughing their heads off at things that are not very funny.

I can see why it does well in the ratings.

12 Likes

Playlist is still safe and all over the place.

5 Likes

This song for me belongs in the “OH No,Not That Song Again” thread,I agree most songs there are too safe

6 Likes

They need to inject a bit of SWR magic into that playlist. Not all songs would be suitable but a lot would work.

Example pick this track from Never Let Me Down by David Bowie instead of Lets Dance. Then Nails In Your Feet rather than Fall at Your Feet by Crowded House :grinning:

5 Likes

Smooth FM has launched new HD streams for all their stations (Including Nova):

https://21423.live.streamtheworld.com/SMOOTH953_AAC320.aac
https://23163.live.streamtheworld.com/STARFM_AAC320.aac
https://21423.live.streamtheworld.com/NOVA_969_AAC320.aac

and so on.

6 Likes

That’s great news! That’s “better than FM” sound at AAC 320 kbps I reckon.

SCA streams sound pretty good too at 128 kbps, hope ARN also lift the bit rates on their streams (not sure what they use but they don’t sound as good as SCA).

2 Likes