Sky News

First Edition has to go.

The title is terrible (does not feel right for the time period) and the hosts in two different cities (Canberra and Sydney) is all wrong.

It should be on a softer set, 2-4 hosts, and lighten up on politics.

More traffic, weather & innovate and loosen up.

I still think they should resurrect the “Good Morning Australia” brand

4 Likes

Agree. Have a soft set and host in the same studio! Kinda like Fox & Friends on Fox News.

Politics is Sky’s schtick though.

But yeah a softer image would be nice, a touch more chatty.

‘Sky News: This Morning’

2 Likes

Why not go down Morning Joe route with a roundtable of hosts led by someone like PVO.

2 Likes

I would prefer that! Morning Joe is not a bad show to be honest!
I also think Sky needs to utilise the newsroom as a backdrop a bit more (like the morning joe set haha)

1 Like

Former morning television producer Adam Boland is poised to make a sensational return to mainstream media. Two and a half years after he was praised for speaking candidly in public about his battle with depression, Boland is set to head up online video at News Corp Australia as part of a 50/50 job share agreement with Sky News. In January of 2014, ­Boland announced publicly he was quitting television. The former producer of Seven’s ­Sunrise will also spend time working on Sky’s weather channel. To turbocharge the publisher’s online video strategy, the uber-producer will team up with Nicole Sheffield, the newly installed managing director of News Digital Networks, working on news.com.au and other brands.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/media-diary/adam-boland-back-on-job-share-deal-today-edges-ahead-of-sunrise/news-story/7469884d1a8eb5fa5ca498a12c4dba47 (Paywall)

1 Like

Don’t know what Boland could do to improve Sky Weather - the channel is really a shadow of its former self when it was known as ‘The Weather Channel’. Still don’t know what Sky was thinking gutting it when they took over operating it…

1 Like

I think it’s obvious what is happening.

With Sky about to come under 100% new ownership anyway now with News Corp buying the network from Seven, Nine and Sky UK - the #1 reason News Corp has bought Sky is to help provide video to it’s digital news sites such as news.com.au, TheAustralian.com.au and all the dozens of newspaper websites.

News has hired Boland as “Head of Online Video” - and News is about to own 100% of Sky News.

I suspect in the next 12 months, they will relaunch Sky - invest tens of million the way they did with Fox Sports, the Sky brand will disappear - and a new brand will launch with a joint synergy / contents supply to all of News’ online websites.

I suspect Boland is being eyed to lead that synergy somehow - and will have a much bigger role than Weather Channel as the new relaunched networks rebuilds.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me they go for Fox News Australia, Fox News Business, Fox News Weather and carry Sky UK News in HD to replace the current Fox News and just carry Fox News US programming overnight on Fox News Australia.

1 Like

@ADstv I’ve suggested we could see the launch of “Fox News Australia” but there is the argument the brand has a negative connotation in this country.

I would argue 75% of Aussies in suburb land really don’t know what FN is or what it stands for. But I agree there is SOME risk.

I think it could easily be overcome with a launch campaign and selling angle along the lines of:

“from the Broadcaster that brings you the most respected sports coverage in Australia - fox sports - comes a brand new 24 hour news network. Introducing - Fox News Australia”

“We revolutionized and brought a new energy to sports on TV. The best coverage. The best analysis. The best technology. Less Commercials. And all in stunning HD. Now - we’re about to do the Same to news coverage: Fox News Australia”

You won’t sky Sky UK in Australia anymore.

Sky is selling out of Sky Oz. I doubt Foxtel will have any interest carrying them.

News Australia would be what I’d think, link in with news.com.au and News Corp branding.

2 Likes

Sky News has gone all BBC News:

4 Likes

Very simple, an absolute improvement over the monstrosity that is Sky News Australia - they could certainly take the same view that with graphics less is definitely more.

I get the point of the backdrop, but it really doesn’t show much does it? A staircase in this case is just a staircase.

2 Likes

So he is that guy that watches sky in the morning!

1 Like

Least it ain’t virtual unlike the #1 news service in Perth

Stunning set.

1 Like

First Edition significantly under-performs relative to the rest of Sky’s schedule. 8am and 8pm are viewing peaks of Live TV - and thus when Sky has the best chance of high ratings. Yet First Edition pulls in around 15,000 viewers. By contrast - it’s 8pm programming pulls in about 50,000.

The morning slot is ripe for development.

It still should be a news show, and nothing like Sunrise or Today.

Having a good title, clearer mission for the show and two hosts in one studio would be a good start.

1 Like

Looks too clinical, and who wants to see a staircase as a backdrop? The GFX are all a bit small too.

3 Likes

Oh dear.