Sky News Regional

Because they want you to pay for the full Sky News experience by getting Foxtel. Less so now with their renewed deal with SCA, but still very much the case overall.

3 Likes

Really? Sky’s most popular content is opinion primetime - that’s all going out for free on the FTA feed.

Likewise 1/2 to 2/3 of newsday and afternoon agenda is going out for free

No one is going to subscribe to Foxtel to get an extra hour of looped newsday at 2pm

By scheduling more Paul Murray at 8pm opinion show runs during the daytime (which is what they are doing) they are actually giving more of the popular content out

Maybe they feel Paul Murray has an audience at 4? Maybe it’s being used as a test?

The pre-emptions give an indication of the sort of content Sky want to broadcast into the regions

Yeah they’re airing PML Later which never happened under WIN. Same with having less FSN content and more repeats. The point is it doesn’t mirror the paid for Sky News. Perhaps they consider rolling news coverage as part of their premium news service? Perhaps it’s designed to also promote Fox Sports News as well as Sky News on Foxtel (it should be noted FSN’s free live stream ceased when SNOW launched)? Perhaps they reserve the missing chunks of Agenda/News Day for in-depth coverage on the paid service? Perhaps they don’t have any clue what they’re doing with their free-to-air offer and have inadvertently turned it into the preferred format for viewers?

Here’s a Monday comparison for reference:

Sky News v Sky News Regional Monday 2nd Aug 2021

3 Likes

Just returned back home today and definitely no Sky News Regional anywhere in Tasmania. Did a rescan and it wasn’t on either TDT or 7 - I thought there was a chance it could have appeared instead of SBN on the 7 mux but nope completely gone, not that I’m fussed.

3 Likes

Yea agree - content that will rate higher. It’s probably as simple as that

Logos have been fixed on Fetch TV, except the Sky News on WIN logo is showing up instead of the new Sky News Regional logo.

1 Like

And Telstra TV as well.

1 Like

That famously right wing town of Canberra that with 20 years of consistent Labor territory governments. No one knows Australia like Kick-it!

7 Likes

My original comment was in relation to images of cattle stations and wheat silos in the branding graphics for Sky News Regional - and that more of their viewers live In cities like Canberra, Newcastle and Cairns - than live on farms. It’s just strange imagery and branding to me.

I get that Sky News has a two fold mission: Sell advertising (so the largest advertising markets matter, I would say thats Newcastle, NNSW, Gold Coast, Canberra etc) and obviously Sky also likes to have political sway. But still - these people live in urban areas in cities, not on farms. A small % of Sky’s audience can actually relate to wheat silos and cattle stations. The population is not there.

As for Canberra - OK, so it voted Labour - but by a couple of % points. The ACT has 450,000 and the Canberra TV market has 650,000. Thats still a couple hundred thousand Liberal party voters.

And isn’t Sky quite watched in the corridors and officers of polllies in Canberra? Thats beeb reported more than once.

Back to the original point - most of Sky News Regional viewers to not live on or relate to cattle farms. It’s strange branding to me. Probably chosen by someone in their Sydney HQ: anyone outside of Sydney lives on a farm

1 Like

Our politicians in Canberra wouldn’t be relying on terrestrial FTA to access Sky News.

It’s transmitted via the internal TV system (likely cable based) at Parliament House, which has feeds from inside the house and all sorts of other stuff not accessible to “civilian” free to air viewers in Canberra. And one would imagine that most, if not all of our politicians have Foxtel at home.

You’re surprised Sky News is positioning themselves as a channel for the rural conservative?

6 Likes

Almost as though Liberal voters in the ACT might be a bit distinct to, say, LNP voters in Qld.

1 Like

Yes, because the vast majority of Sky News Regional’s audience live in cities. These people don’t make a living off farms and cattle stations, nor relate to them.

Regional and rural are two very distinct different things.

But Sky uses and appeals to rural thinking. Those people in the regional cities watching it want the rural conservative slant on issues. The wheat silos and wool sheds represent this. Home of the no nonsense Aussie battler.

For someone so versed on branding I’m surprised this little tactic has you so confused.

16 Likes

I think that is quite a narrow interpretation. Many of our largest regional centres are left leaning. Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Newcastle certainly are examples of that.

Just because you’re on the land doesn’t mean you vote for the Nats or Libs. Look at inland NSW - huge swathes rejected the coalition at the last state election and the Nats are desperate to make inroads in those former safe seats.

2 Likes

I’m really impressed with the high-budget promos they’re doing for Sky News Regional. SCA are giving them all the freedom they want with this new channel, yet WIN’s prior approach was tacky (mostly basic promos and idents).

I thought Ballarat and Shepparton were right-leaning?

You’re right about Newcastle and Bendigo though.

ballarat is a labor seat and sheparton is an independent seat

At a State and Federal level, Labor holds Ballarat.

But Shepparton is in the federal electorate of Nicholls where the Nationals Damien Drum hold the seats by a very safe margin

1 Like