Sexual Harassment Allegations in Australian Media

Found not guilty.

Didn’t really like the statement “no man should ever have to go through this” could have chosen a better way of expressing that.

2 Likes

John Jarratt has commenced defamation proceedings against The Daily Telegraph publisher Nationwide News and journalist Jonathon Moran over an article on published on 18 November 2017 which reported that he had been accused of rape.

This Sunday 60 Minutes has the exclusive interview with John Jarratt, it was filmed on the eve of his trial verdict.

I noticed this. I am seriously not sure I like the way he has handled himself. I didn’t like the arrogance and I didn’t like the comments he made. I have little doubt it was consensual but feel it hasn’t been handled in a dignified manner.

1 Like

Another charged dropped.

1 Like

NOW was launched in the wake of the allegations against Harvey Weinstein.

Remaining funds will be given to the YWCA and a free legal service.

Wasn’t there an issue when the details of some of the victims were accidentally shown to the media?

1 Like

Could Nationwide News be contemplating an appeal to the High Court, I wonder?

Wouldn’t put it past them. Heck, they’d want to be able to just put a list of everyone they think has played with kiddies in the past and get away with it.

Nationwide News will not be taking this to the High Court, according to the SMH.

It was a very expensive front page story.

This clears the way for McLachlan’s defamation count case against the SMH, Age and the ABC to recommence.

Given the quote from the magistrate, I doubt that would be a successful case for before a civil court. Be interesting to see if there’s a settlement.

4 Likes

McLachlan commenting after the verdict.

It will be interesting what the full report says as well. I don’t think the defamation case will go ahead either. I think there is enough evidence to suggest it probably did happen but there isn’t enough evidence to convict. Probably doesn’t convict in a criminal trial.