Sexual Harassment Allegations in Australian Media

Code of Conduct to prevent sexual harassment now active

Screen Australia has today announced that the Code of Conduct to Assist the Prevention of Sexual Harassment has been finalised and is now in effect. Screen Australia approved projects from now on must adhere to the Code as a condition of their production funding.

“The Code sets a clear expectation that producers must make every effort to maintain a safe workplace where there is zero tolerance for sexual harassment,” said Screen Australia COO Fiona Cameron. “The Code of Conduct will bring the law into plain view, in plain English and provide pathways to address and resolve issues. A Code of Conduct is a simple way to set expectations and lead cultural change.”

Following consultation with industry, the Code has been finalised and can now be viewed in full here.

Screen Producers Australia (SPA) is working with its members, the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance and key stakeholders including Screen Australia to finalise an industry Code of Conduct and Policies relating to sexual harassment, harassment and bullying. SPA expects this work to conclude in the coming weeks. SPA will also be facilitating training for industry on the industry Code of Conduct and policies. It is hoped that a standard industry code will be put in place for all entertainment organisations in the future.

Find out more information about the code including FAQs here >

In a claim filed in the Federal Court asking for permission to sue the Sydney Theatre Company on the grounds that they are in part responsible for the stories about Geoffrey Rush published in The Daily Telegraph, the paper and Jonathan Moran have revealed the name of their source at the theatre company. Media Watch has pointed out that by doing so News Corp has breached their own policies of not divulging the identity of confidential sources; and that News is taking the extraordinary step of trying to sue that confidential source.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4830889.htm

1 Like

The Federal Court has refused The Daily Telegraph’s and Jonathon Moran’s application to sue The Sydney Theatre Company, so the Geoffrey Rush defamation trial will now commence on 3 September.

2 Likes

“I have become aware of a claim being made about me,” Ballard wrote on his website. "It involves an allegation of sexual assault: an allegation that I completely deny in the strongest terms possible. It fundamentally goes against who I am as a person and everything I believe in.

“Four years ago I had a consensual sexual experience with someone. I had absolutely no idea he believed it wasn’t consensual until six months ago. His version of that experience as described on social media is simply not what happened.”

“It has affected my work and my mental health,” he said. "I abhor sexual assault and sexual violence. I absolutely support the philosophy of the #MeToo movement. I believe in supporting victims and ensuring those who have done wrong face justice.

“But I have not done anything wrong.”

1 Like

The man has identified himself.

2 Likes

Here’s the entire FB post by the accuser:

I don’t want to give this guy any time of the day. I am not sure of the truth but according to the law he didn’t do anything wrong. Doesn’t sound like the guy ever said no. Sounds like he regreted it after he did it. That doesn’t make Tom in the wrong. I just find it quite coincidental that the allegation came at the same time of Tom’s shows premiere.

2 Likes

Ballard’s show began at roughly the same time as MeToo, so it could be coincidence. The accuser said he reported the incident to police when he was assaulted four years ago, so there should be a paper trail.

I like Ballard, but I’m not going to dismiss the accuser. Ballard’s statement shouldn’t be gospel just because it seems honest. People can lie. The accuser could be lying as well, but I’m of the belief that we should give accusers some benefit of the doubt, given the power imbalance inherent in coming out with an allegation against a star.

The celebrity (whether it be Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey or possibly Tom Ballard) will have more resources and a media advisor, and more fans through which to fight the allegations. The accuser has no such resources and should be given space and time to make his/her claims.

5 Likes

The problem is that mud sticks. Of course none of us know exactly what happened that night, but from what Tom says he thought it was consensual and from what the other person says he didn’t say no.

Yes, Tom may have resources to help him but people will remember this, even if it’s decided by the police or a court that he’s not at fault.

1 Like

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Nowadays with social media someone’s reputation could be tarnished forever.

2 Likes

Well Tom’s not a mind reader I’m guessing

Geoffrey Rush, legal representatives for The Daily Telegraph, and journalist Jonathon Moran are in talks fuelling speculation that a settlement may be reached in Rush’s defamation action against the newspaper.

Actress Eryn Jean Norvill to testify against Geoffrey Rush alleging sexual harrassment in support of The Daily Telegraph’s defence of Rush’s defamation action against the newspaper

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/actress-agrees-to-testify-for-daily-telegraph-in-geoffrey-rush-lawsuit/news-story/918981700eb4de905574ead578124d30

Former host of Better Homes and Gardens and actor John Jarratt has been charged over a rape alleged to have occurred in 1976.

Leonie Ryan from 7 News reporting on the Geoffrey Rush defamation case:

Could you be any more crass? Goodness me

Amidst discussions on Twitter about Geoffrey Rush, Christie Whelan Browne gives her opinion of Peter Ford.