Seven West Media

Think they will use Crocmedia for AFL Gameday without live studio audience! same with Taking Footy

1 Like

Who said tv production is moving to Sydney?

5 Likes

Since they took over Primeā€™s Queensland assets years ago, this would make sense. And Prime really needs some help with their local news production and branding.

Prime has never been in Queensland except on the Gold Coast and a few regional radio stations which they donā€™t have anymore as far as Iā€™m aware.

Before the network bought 7Qld it was Sunshine which was completely unrelated to Prime Mediaā€¦

2 Likes

I assume thereā€™s no plans around buying SCAā€™s 7 stations (thatā€™s assuming they wanted to sell which they probably donā€™t). Still if buying Prime is a success for them they might pursue it. I think the success or failure will depend entirely on what price they end up paying for Prime and how long it would take them to make their money back. Also who knows if Bruce Gordon will try to stand in the way.

I havenā€™t read the article yet but I hope to find it if I buy a copy of the Australian later today

And yes Prime never had a presence in QLD, was a SNSW based station that expanded to other areas (not QLD).

Yep - they sold up to Grant Broadcasters in 2013.

I was under the impression that national sales for STQ is handled by the Prime-owned 7 Affiliate Sales; happy to be proven wrong though

Yeah thatā€™s correct, just like SCA does sales for NBN

1 Like

My mistake. But they could do exactly the same with Prime.

I concede I made an error.

If Seven were to buy Prime, that would mean they would have to sell off their radio stations in WA (Spirit & Red FM), as well as the Kalgoorlie Miner under the Media Diversity rules. This is because Prime broadcasts into Regional WA as GWN7.

1 Like

To Grant Broadcasters, one presumes

Yes, Prime handles 7Qld sales instead of Seven West. SWM was going to take 7Qld sales in-house a few years ago but it was going to be too difficult for their systems to handle the 5 Metro markets as well as the 7 Qld Sub-Regions so they decided to leave it with Seven Affiliate Sales.

Iā€™d imagine if SWM did buy Prime theyā€™d disband SAS and bring it all under one sales team with some redundancies as there would be a lot of duplication of roles.

1 Like

So the AFR is reporting the CEO has made a big appointment, a new CMO !

As in chief marketing officer. Who better than the best, an associate from JCDecaux

1 Like

Link to the B&T article here.

I worked with Charlie when she was Head of Marketing at Adshel and she knows her stuff. She also loves a re-brand or making significant changes to a brand position to put her own spin on it so Iā€™d expect to see something big either late next year or 2021. This is the main takeout from the article:

Warburton said: ā€œCharlotte will bring a strong viewer and client focus to this newly created, senior role in the group, with a focus on launching Sevenā€™s new marketing initiatives, as well as enhancing the look and feel of the brand.

ā€œI worked with Charlotte at APN Outdoor, where she was instrumental in implementing a successful change strategy to help move the company from an asset-led to an audience-first business, a similar role she will perform at Seven.

ā€œThe CMO role is a first for Seven and will cover a broad range of viewer and business facing marketing initiatives, including data analytics, on-air promotions, digital optimisation and public relationsā€, he added.

4 Likes

From Seven West Media

SEVEN WEST MEDIA APPOINTS CHARLOTTE VALENTE IN NEWLY CREATED CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER ROLE

Sevenā€™s Managing Director and CEO, James Warburton, today announced the appointment of Ms Charlotte Valente in the newly created role of Chief Marketing Officer of the group, effective October 21, 2019.

Ms Valente joins the newly streamlined, eight person senior management team reporting directly to Mr Warburton.

Mr Warburton said ā€œCharlotte will bring a strong viewer and client focus to this newly created, senior role in the group, with a focus on launching Sevenā€™s new marketing initiatives, as well as enhancing the look and feel of the brand.

ā€œI worked with Charlotte at APN Outdoor, where she was instrumental in implementing a successful change strategy to help move the company from an asset-led to an audience-first business, a similar role she will perform at Seven.

ā€œThe CMO role is a first for Seven and will cover a broad range of viewer and business facing marketing initiatives, including data analytics, on-air promotions, digital optimisation and public relationsā€, he added.

Ms Valente has worked in strategic marketing roles with range of leading media and marketing organisations including APN Outdoor, Big Red Group and Adshel in Australia and the BBC and The Guardian Media Group internationally.

She said ā€œI am delighted to work with James again and be a part of Sevenā€™s transformation towards a more audience- centric group, with a strong focus on delivering engaging broadcast and digital content.

ā€œIntegrating Sevenā€™s multiple platforms to provide an accessible and captivating media offering will be my main priorityā€, she added.

The appointment of Ms Valente will be followed by two others ā€“ Chief Digital Officer and Chief Content Officer ā€“ to be part of the new senior management team, joining Kurt Burnette (Chief Revenue Officer), Mr Bruce McWilliam (Commercial Director), Warwick Lynch (Chief Financial Officer), Katie McGrath (Chief People and Culture Officer) and Maryna Fewster (CEO - SWM WA).

Mr Warburton said ā€œCharlotteā€™s appointment and creation of a leaner management team are all parts of our transformation strategy for the group, more details of which will be revealed at our upfronts on October 23ā€.

3 Likes

For someone who doesnā€™t understand PR properly youā€™re an expert on spinning positive news for Seven :thinking:

6 Likes

Do you know her personally? How do you know she is the best marketing executive in the nation? Have you worked with her in the past?

2 Likes
1 Like

I was talking to one of my clients at a work function last night and she was saying their 7 Account Manager had told them that about 150 people had been let go from HSV in the current round of redundancies (Playout, Marketing/Publicity, Programming). Theyā€™ve been reduced to just a Newsroom and Sales staff essentially. They also got rid of all of their Melbourne based Strategy & Insights team (sits within Sales) and this function has also been centralised to Sydney. Iā€™d say probably not a happy place to be working at the momentā€¦

1 Like