Seven West Media

Judging by the wording of that press release, think that’s right. It seems like SWM’s board reviewed Worner’s position and after they concluded he isn’t the right person to continue in the position (+ having found a replacement), Worner decided to resign.

Think this is a much-needed move by Seven. It’s become clear over the past few years that this is a network which has not only become stagnant with their programming strategy/lineup but has fallen behind in other areas (particularly with their digital strategy & in the SVOD space).

While Worner has overseen some important initiatives (eg; launching and growing Seven Studios), the network desperately needs fresh ideas and a new strategy to compete against a resurgent Nine - hopefully Warburton will provide that for them

3 Likes

Thinking the same thing, maybe that tie up might happen that has been on the cards for years?

Bear with me here, but…

WORNER
WARNER
ARWERN
DARWEN
DARWIN

Ten News Darwin confirmed!

4 Likes

Mind blown :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah…I’m sure the Nine Entertainment Company would be cheering at the prospect of James Warburton becoming the new MD & CEO of Seven West Media.

1 Like

He was a shocker at 10 a few years back

1 Like

1 Like

Sunrise fits that description.

1 Like

And Fewer Ads during Primetime.

Not really a good model for a commercial network that relies on advertising revenue to survive

7 Likes

Ratings suggest otherwise.

1 Like

Some of the formats are in their 10th or 11 season… some of them are ageing

Home and Away, 32 seasons and counting of rinse-and-repeat.

1 Like

Movieman will add his two cents

Of course, no doubt. Though I will say that Seven are a shocker when it comes to movies and ads, “Sweet Home Alabama” on 7flix the other night had one about 6 or 7min into the film! Woeful.

Should be minimum (at least first ad break - to attract viewers) not before 15min in at a minimum. 20min is better (which to their credit they did with the premiere of “Wonder Woman” the other week).

1 Like

“see things differently” the direction 7 took under David Leckie in July 2003

How much was due to Lachlan and friends though?

2 Likes

Look at his record with the V8 Supercars too and ask the pit lane what they think of him.

1 Like

He seems like a bit of a lightweight and has quite a dour personality.

Seven need to fail more for a bit of a time to come to ensure some sort of revitalization. When they air the rubbish they show post 7:30 they deserve to fail. Utter crap. They only survive because of the AFL, winning nationally in news and breakfast and their reliance on legacy ratings in Perth.

2 Likes

So Seven has installed a CEO who was partly responsible for Being Lara Bingle, Everybody Dance Now, The Shire and inflicting Paul Henry on an unsuspecting audience while heading Ten?

Good luck with that, Seven.

13 Likes

I often wondered why a network hadn’t tried the former Nova style of ads and try and turn them into a more premium offering for advertisers - given no one has tried it, suggests that it may not work though