Seven West Media

Not necessarily, if they’re getting a premium amount from Nine and have a good working relationship with them for certain shows then why supply cut that off to give it to Seven for (next to) nothing just because they would potentially own the channel?

Same reason CBS would likely keep their output deals with NEC/Stan going if it’s generating more revenue for them then just supplying it to Ten etc.

3 Likes

Sounds about right I guess, was just a theory.

Question: anyone know if CBS-Paramount TV content airs on another commercial FTA terrestrial broadcaster outside of Ten (and I don’t just mean news, like CBS This Morning or whatever). I can only think of L&O / SVU older re-runs, which have appeared late night on 9Gem the last year?

Criminal Minds?

Yes, Criminal Minds is on Seven.

The Amazing Race is another.

1 Like

Survivor?

Both shows are joint productions with ABC and Disney handles distribution internationally for these programmes.

You already know that in the US the Hollywood studios make and distribute shows to competing networks. It happens with daytime and primetime programs, and with syndicated shows. Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are distributed by CBS yet they are on the ABC owned ABC7 NYC, and that is just one example of many.

And, there has been a couple of instances here, eg. Seven making A Place To Call Home for Foxtel.

5 Likes

The woman who Roberts-Smith says he didn’t hit in the face says he did hit her, in documents filed in the Federal Court.

Of particular note:

Mr Roberts-Smith is suing Fairfax Media over a series of articles published this year in The Age , The Sydney Morning Herald and The Canberra Times which he says are defamatory because they portray him as a war criminal during his time serving with the Australian special forces in Afghanistan, and also allege he punched a woman with whom he had an affair.

Fairfax does not concede that it made the claims, alleged by Mr Roberts-Smith.

If the court decides otherwise, however, Fairfax says it can prove the claims are true.

Brett McCarthy to step down as Editor of The West Australian

The Chief Executive of Seven West Media WA, Maryna Fewster, today announced that Brett McCarthy has decided to step down as Editor of The West Australian.

Mr McCarthy, who has been in the role since March 2009, said that he had recently been planning changes to the newsroom operations which had prompted him to consider his own future.

“After nearly 10 years in this very demanding role, I decided it was time for a break before I look for new challenges,” Mr McCarthy said.

Seven West Media Chairman Kerry Stokes paid tribute to Mr McCarthy for his outstanding contribution to the company over the past decade.

“Brett has proved himself a great newspaper editor over many years. He has led The West with integrity and deepened the paper’s connection to the community, I have always respected his judgement,’’ he said.

Ms Fewster said: “Brett led by example and set the agenda in WA. I would like to thank him for his contribution and his recent role in promoting the successful ‘We’re For You’ campaign. Brett leaves The West in the enviable position of reaching 91% of WA.”

Mr McCarthy has worked in newspapers for more than 30 years since he started as a cadet journalist in Brisbane in 1984 straight out of high school. He moved to WA in 2001 as Editor of The Sunday Times after having a successful career in Sydney at The Daily Mirror and The Daily Telegraph before rising to be Deputy Editor of The Sunday Telegraph.

“I’m really proud of what The West has achieved over the past ten years. It has been a great journey,” he said.

“The proudest achievement of the newspaper while I’ve been Editor was our role in the successful campaign to get WA a fair share of the GST.

“I’ve worked with a great team of first class journalists here at The West, some of the best in the country. I know they will continue to take this newspaper from strength to strength, telling the stories that matter to West Australians.

“I really feel now is the right time for me to move on. I appreciate Mr Stokes and Ms Fewster allowing that to happen quickly so I can enjoy the holidays with my wife and children before looking to the future,’’ Mr McCarthy said.

Mr McCarthy finishes at The West later today, November 30.

“We’re For You” - wasn’t this a recent News campaign with their papers?

Yes - The West Australian adopted the slogan earlier this year after SWM announced a news sharing partnership with News Corp.

Seven West Media WA appoints Anthony De Ceglie Senior Editor of West Australian Newspapers

The Chief Executive of Seven West Media WA, Maryna Fewster, today announced the appointment of two-time Walkley Award winner Anthony De Ceglie as the Senior Editor of West Australian Newspapers (WAN).

In his new role, which will start by mid-January, Mr De Ceglie will be responsible for the editorial direction for WAN’s stable of news brands, including The West Australian, The Weekend West, The Sunday Times, thewest.com.au and perthnow.com.au, as well as WAN’s 19 regional publications.

Mr De Ceglie joins SWM WA from News Corp Australia, where he has been deputy editor of The Daily Telegraph having joined the paper in March 2016. Prior to that, he was Deputy Editor of The Sunday Times and perthnow.com.au.

Ms Fewster said: “I am thrilled that Anthony is returning to WA as our editorial leader. His focus will be on producing great content for our readers across all platforms and delivering it to them as efficiently as possible. He will lead the transformation of our news floor, in particular the creation of a seven-day newsroom and the launch of digital subscriptions.”

The Chairman of Seven West Media, Kerry Stokes, said: “I’m delighted to welcome Anthony to Seven. The experience he’s gained over the course of his career, here in WA, in New York and in Sydney, will prove invaluable as he takes full control over all our publications, driving content, technology and the newsroom culture.

“His task is simple – to lead our talented teams in creating the most compelling, agendasetting, journalism across our world-class publications, helping inform the communities we serve," Mr Stokes said.

Mr De Ceglie said: “I grew up reading The West Australian and The Sunday Times, and I look forward to continuing their tradition of investigative journalism, in-depth political coverage and first-rate sports news. Along with the regional newspapers, they are part of the very fabric of the WA community.”

News Corp Australasia Executive Chairman Michael Miller congratulated Anthony on his appointment.

“During his 12 years with News Corp Australia, Anthony has proven himself as an accomplished journalist and editorial leader. We wish him well as he returns home to Perth as Senior Editor of West Australian Newspapers,” Mr Miller said. Mr De Ceglie, who was born in Fremantle, started his career as a Cadet journalist at the Collie Mail, going on to become a journalist and subeditor at the Mandurah Mail In 2007 he joined the then News Corp Australia owned The Sunday Times as a reporter, rising to become Chief-of-Staff and then Deputy Editor, of The Sunday Times and perthnow.com.au. In 2011 he took a six month secondment to New York as part of News Corp’s International Development program, where he helped launch the iPad daily newspaper The Daily.

In March 2016, Mr De Ceglie moved to Sydney to take up the role of Deputy Editor of The Daily Telegraph.

7 Brisbane have updated the signage out the front of the Mt Coot-tha studios to include 7Plus and 7Food Network.

Sorry for the quality of the pic, I stopped quickly to take this from the car.

9 Likes

Why don’t they just use the plain network logo? Saves them needing to change the sign every time a new channel or TV-related product comes out.

2 Likes

No idea. 9 & 10 both just have their main channel logo outside their respective studios.

Former newspaper reporter-turned-current affairs Svengali Mario D’Orazio has resigned as managing director of Channel Seven Perth.

Seven West Media chairman Kerry Stokes announced the news this morning, saying D’Orazio had played an important role in the company’s success in WA.
Source 7 perth face book

Wow, that’s quite a surprise. He was also on Telethon very often towards the end of the program. Wonder the reasons for it and who will be his replacement…