Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Funny, I always thought they were seen as the opposite (and Nine more Sydney), certainly with HSV when the AFL is running.

But things seems to have all been flipped in recent years

1 Like

Traditionally, HSV7 has always been a very local station, but since 2019 Seven had completely gutted the station. The only thing remaining is the newsroom and the AFL. They even got rid of the stations local PR teams.

This is now coming back to bite them on the arse.

If I remember correctly, didn’t Seven move its playout facilities to Sydney that year? I remember watching Seven in Melbourne in 2014 and noticed some slightly different transitions during the program promos, as opposed to what was seen in the other markets.

Yep, along with axing local programmes and moving shows to Sydney. It’s now catching up with them.

Nine (GTV) seems to be more connected with Melbourne audiences, through reality, sports, local events, game shows and verity. This reward is now flowing back into the stations local news.

2 Likes

Week 2 2024 - with weekend

Weeks won - 2024

2 Likes

Week 3 2024 - Preliminary

Weeks won - 2024

Week 3 2023

The usual drop for Nine News during the first week of the Australian Open was seen though it was mitigated by Nine Melbourne’s improved ratings. Seven won all other markets, including its first win in Sydney for the year, with Nine News was down in four of the five cities.

Nine Melbourne was the stand out delivering a rating equal to the previous week. The new presenting team would have to be judged a big success so far.

Compared to week three of last year Nine Melbourne was up 17% while Seven was down 20%. Nine was also up in Brisbane by 11%, Sydney by 2%, Perth by 8% while Adelaide dropped 8%.

Seven’s comparative ratings saw a 4% drop including a +6% result in Sydney, +4% in Brisbane, -4% in Adelaide and +1% in Perth.

I will post the table with Sunday and Saturday numbers tomorrow.

4 Likes

That’s a HUGE shift in momentum compared to last year for Nine News Melbourne.
They’ll be hoping that this momentum continues

4 Likes

Week 3 2024 - with weekend

Weeks won - 2024

Notable results included a +40k gain for Seven News Sydney on Sunday from the previous week, a +44k gain for Nine News Sydney on Saturday and a -67 drop for Seven News Melbourne on Sunday.

1 Like

With the OzTam ratings changes coming into effect on Monday 29th January, I assume this thread will cease? @TV.Cynic
Basically no numbers other than national figures that can be reported on.

2 Likes

So no individual city information?
So will “weeks won” in overall ratings just be national?

Seems that way - calling it now at 52-0 to Seven.

3 Likes

Though Seven News has dominated the five-city figures in recent years (and could potentially again this year), I daresay Nine News could peg back some weeks during the Paris Olympics, to which the Nine Network have the broadcasting rights.

A shame that this forum will change from next week.
Having Seven News v Nine News tables, without each city will look very bare…

4 Likes

It might in the 5-city numbers but the new data published is national and Seven has dominated those.

3 Likes

If Rick and Sue are suddenly sacked we’ll have to assume Nine News Perth won a week! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Week 4 2024 - Preliminary

Weeks won - 2024

Week 4 2023

Ahead of the changes to ratings reporting from next week here is the latest look at the 5-city news comparisons.

Seven’s 5-city result was down 45,000 from the previous week while Nine was up 14,000.
Seven lost audience in all markets except Adelaide including an 18k drop in Sydney, 4k in Melbourne, 12k in Brisbane and 13k in Perth.

Nine gained 12k in Sydney, 4k in Adelaide and 5k in Perth but slipped slightly in Melbourne by 6k and Brisbane by 2k.

Seven was down 11% on this week in 2023 including by 16% in Sydney and 18% in Melboune. Nine’s 5-city number was up compared to last year with gains of 5% in Melbourne and 20% in Perth.

Unfortunately this may be the last regular posting. I hope you have enjoyed the topic over the years.

10 Likes

You have done an outstanding job keeping all the relevant ratings threads updated with so much information for as long as I’ve been a member on here. Well done.

9 Likes

Yes thank @TV.Cynic.

It’s been a great overview seeing these numbers each week.

1 Like

Although i haven’t posted much in this particular topic (am more of a lurker), i always found the comparisons interesting. You’ve always done a great job in reporting these details @TV.Cynic.

Things might surprise us down the track and we can start seeing the city-breakdowns again (but unlikely at this stage).

2 Likes

Surprise! After a temporary interruption, the topic is back. I will have to look at the weekly count later, but for now here are the 6pm results for the week. I am going to concentrate on the Mon-Fri results for now as well.

Week 6 2024 - Preliminary

Week 6 2023

With the introduction of Tipping Point Australia to Nine’s afternoon schedule, Nine was able to get a flow on effect to its 6pm results at saw an average 5% increase from the same week last year while Seven’s audience was down slightly.

Nine Sydney was up by 6%, Melbourne by 7%, Brisbane by 6% and Perth by 22%. However, Adelaide was down 29%.

Seven’s bulletin was unchanged in Sydney and Adelaide, down 16% in Melbourne and 8% in Perth but up by 18% in Brisbane.

8 Likes