Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Week 39 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 39 in 2018

Interest in the AFL seems to have kept Melbourne in the green while both Sydney bulletins were down about 20,000.

Seven Melbourne and Brisbane win again, though it was very close in Brisbane.

Comparison to this week last year shows all bulletins lower except Seven Melbourne.

3 Likes

Week 40 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 40 in 2018

Seven Melbourne getting closer to 20 wins as Nineā€™s bulletin in the city records a low for the year. Nine in Brisbane that had some unusually low results towards the end of the week.

The start of Daylight savings should signal a drop in affected markets next week.

Thatā€™s due to Peter Hitchenerā€™s absence as he is recovering from laryngitis.
Seven News won Monday to Thursday in Melbourne.

1 Like

Week 41 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 41 in 2018

Seven Melbourne notches up 20 wins during the survey period - so the best that Nine can do is tie for weeks won. Interesting comparison to the same week last year with Seven steady and Nine down 50k. Huge result for Seven in Brisbane with the best number for two months.

The start of daylight saving in three markets brought the expected drop in audience with Nine particularly affected, posting its lowest audience this year.

10 News was also at a year low as the Brisbane bulletin posted the highest audience of any market.

5 Likes

Nine News Melbourne hit a low of 219,000 for the 6pm half on Monday, on usually the bulletinā€™s strongest night and with Peter Hitchener back at work after recovering from laryngitis. Thatā€™s unheard of. It did manage to win the 6.30pm half on Wednesday though.

2 Likes

Week 42 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 42 in 2018

:champagne: Seven News Melbourne reaches the 21 weeks won across the hour milestone, so canā€™t be beaten on that measurement.

It is still a close race in Melbourne with Seven still needing to win a few more weeks in the 6pm portion to make the win more defensible in promos. Also illustrated by the following numbers

In the ratings period for Melbourne:
Seven is 3,000 ahead across the hour in average audience Mon-Fri .
Seven has the preferred bulletin on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Monday is a tie with Nine preferred on Sunday, Tuesday and Saturday.
Nine is ahead by 2,000 if weekends are included.

In the full year figures for Melbourne:
Nine is ahead by 3,000 across the hour in average audience Mon-Fri.
Nine is the preferred bulletin on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. Seven is preferred on Thursday and Friday is a tie.
Nine is ahead by 6,000 if weekends are included.

5 Likes

Well done to Seven News Melbourne on the win. Itā€™s been 7 years since they last had a yearly win.

They have a very good local product down here, hopefully the latest set of redundancyā€™s donā€™t make it swing the other way.

6 Likes

Shaun Menegola has done a whole lot of good with Seven News Melbourne. When I was in the city on a weekend getaway recently I managed to catch three bulletins and I was impressed by the whole product.

How Nine News Melbourne retaliates will remain to be seen - will they entice Hitch to stay on or will he retire (he turns 74 next February)?

I can actually see Nine making an offer to mike amor to take over the weeknight gig.

Not in a million years!!
Unless Pete is planning on retiring soon, he will not be replaced (otherwise I can see it as a possibility).

If anything, I would attribute the poor ratings performance due to Today performing so poorly in Melbourne now.

Today is also doing badly in Sydney but at 6:00pm itā€™s a different story. Iā€™d put it down to the Peter Overton factor.

I believe Today and the nine brand is doing a lot better in Sydney. Seven seem to be all Melbourne at the moment.

2 Likes

Of course. I donā€™t think Nine (overall) has even lost a week in the Sydney market this year but itā€™s news did lose the week of July 14-20 (albeit both main anchors were away that week).

AFL is what regularly drives Seven to wins in the southern states while the NRL is behind Nineā€™s dominance in Sydney and Brisbane.

Week 43 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 43 in 2018

Seven continues with wins in 4 markets. Sydney continues to be a problem, though, with the bulletin recording its lowest number this year. The 6pm portion was below 200,000 - that is the first time since January 2015.

Brisbane viewers continue to be told the Nine has the ā€œNumber 1 News roomā€ and that the bulletin is ā€œYour number one newsā€.

3 Likes

Nothing being advertised in Melbourne. I think seven is doing the right thing by not promoting the no 1 trademark.

Just keep your news team focused and wait till the end of the year for the celebrations.

5 Likes

Yes. Seven have not often promoted based on weeks won. That is more of a Nine thing.

3 Likes

I think Melbourne is still too close to call even though Seven has taken the overall lead for the year in number of weeks won.

2 Likes

So on the weeks won, that canā€™t now change in Melbourne. Even if Seven are waiting until end of year and not changing promos yet, does @TV.Cynic ratings above mean Nine would be forced to change ā€œNumber 1ā€ on their promos?

1 Like

Week 44 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 44 in 2018

Nine gets back a week in Melbourne - now 22 weekly wins each across the year while Seven moves further ahead of Brisbaneā€™s Number 1 Newsroom!

I doubt it. The numbers are very close in the weekly average calculation. Nine is ahead Mon-Fri across the 44 weeks of the year.

4 Likes

forced is a rather strong word, however as any viewer in Melbourne would have noticed, the ā€˜number 1ā€™ line was removed from months ago.

1 Like