Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

I would love to know how it’s going so wrong for Nine News Melbourne recently…

The nine brand isn’t strong in Melbourne at the moment. GTV9 need to seriously look at their local content.

2 Likes

I still think it’s Today related. Flow on effect.

2 Likes

Yes, agree.

But that’s 1 of several factors.

Do you really think Nine News Sydney needs to make Mark Burrows their 2nd in-line presenter?

If there’s a problem with Today that’s spreading to Nine News Sydney, it’s far more to do with their content (reports of some of this week’s content on Today make me glad that I never watch it) than Georgie Gardner or Deborah Knight who prior to Wilkinson’s defection, were probably adored by Sydneysiders at a level which potentially rivalled the affection that viewers had for Peter Overton or any of the other channel’s main newsreaders in this market.

This time last year, everyone from Annette Sharp to The Daily Mail and members on this forum had the opinion that Karl Stefanovic essentially needs a break from the entire Australian media landscape after the Wilkinson defection & Uber-gate scandals. Now just about everyone has made a complete U-turn and gone “Oh come back Karl, we miss you!” in the last six months. Talk about appalling hypocrisy because if/when Karl does return to Today you can bet that within a month, people will be back to their “Come on Nine, Karl’s a has been and needs to go” opinions.

Please direct me to where I said that I think Deborah should be replaced with Mark Burrows on Nine News Sydney?

Looks like another win to 7 in Brisbane this week :white_check_mark: What happened to 9 in Brissie last night? Those numbers are tragic!

Actually, it will be an interesting week to see what happened in Syd and Mel?

Looks like Nine won their 9th consecutive year in Sydney.

1 Like

Week 30 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 30 in 2018

Nine in Sydney reaches the 21 week milestone for the full hour of the bulletin (though not at 6:30pm yet). Nine Brisbane has its lowest survey week since March and Seven Melbourne gets closer to tying the year so far.

Though, as I mention (incessantly) yearly wins are usually based on average audiences (rather than weeks won) so the table below shows Melbourne and Brisbane are very close by that measure as well.

Approx overnight average audiences:

Mon-Fri Seven Nine
5 cities 974,000 877,000
Sydney 247,000 269,000
Melbourne 275,000 279,000
Brisbane 190,000 185,000
Adelaide 111,000 65,000
Perth 151,000 79,000
3 Likes

Of course, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to response to Darren Wick’s celebratory tweet in light of recent ratings results:

https://twitter.com/SydneyCityTV/status/1154972249155203072

And yes I’d likely be saying the exact same thing if Seven had been in a similar position.

1 Like

Seven perth must 26 years In a row the news has won

2 Likes

29 years actually. 1990 was the last time Seven News lost the year in Perth, in fact, [National] Nine News won all five markets individually that year.

1 Like

When was last time Nine News Perth had a weekly win in official ratings survey?

No one can remember??? Maybe the London Olympics.

1 Like

Week 31 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 31 in 2018

Lot of red this week including Nine News Melbourne losing another week with its lowest audience so far this year - losing to Seven on every day.

4 Likes

Seven have now over taken nine in the 6.30 half in Melbourne for the year. Seven are now one week away in matching GTV9 for the year.

Very worrying signs in the nine newsroom. It’s clear that breakfast figures are partly to blame for the massive turn around.

2 Likes

Does anyone think Today’s terrible ratings in Sydney have to do with the gap between Nine News and Seven News in this market gradually shrinking?

Nine News won in Sydney this week by an average margin of only 8.5K across the hour.

From what I can think, Jessica Braithwaite is the only meteorologist employed by Nine, but she is still on maternity leave and I can’t see her leaving Adelaide anytime soon.

Week 32 Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 32 in 2018

Split decision again in Melbourne with Seven winning across the hour to bring the bulletins tied on weeks won. Both Brisbane bulletins rating higher than the same week last year.

2 Likes

Seven News Melbourne’s second half is doing brilliantly. If Seven can capitalise on The Chase lead-in AND fix up the first half of the bulletin it should be able to win more weeks this year.

1 Like