Seven Tennis Coverage

That 5sec “7 Melb is the home of sport” ID aired during an ad break of Border Security, still showing Roger Federer holding up a trophy (Aus Open).

Not saying that means anything, but given Seven are quick to edit promos when they lose rights or talent to something (e.g.) “7flix has all your fave pics” when Ten got “Pretty Woman”.

Suggests to me that the view from inside Seven, is that they have next year’s tennis, until anything to that suddenly changes?

They still have the rights. Nothing has changed.

5 Likes

Yep because Seven would totally throw tennis under a bus…

That’s a sure fire way to get themselves excluded from rights negotiations forever.

1 Like

8 Likes
1 Like

Not exactly a bad thing tbh, since Nine will have more money to invest in other areas and be ready to take the Tennis in 2020. As far as I am concerned Seven is the biggest loser out there, losing exclusive rights to a major prestigious sport.

1 Like

It is bad for 2018-2019 summer, who wants one FTA network with a monopoly. The pits. And that smug look on Hamish’s face, nauseating banter amongst commentators about the rights they have (it’s being mentioned every single week on The Front Bar and AFL coverage).

Nine are now at Ten’s level this summer, wouldn’t be surprised if Con Air beats Britain’s Got Talent LOL

I’m not sure whether Hamish McLachlan will do both Cricket and Tennis in summer 2018-19. He is a very busy bloke and has hosted a lot of sporting events for Seven. Bruce McAvaney has walked away from tennis and is believed to be the anchor of cricket.

1 Like

I doubt it

Surely, Australian Open, that’s a given? Where he’s been every summer for 10 years. Might be nice to see new commentators on cricket

Looking forward to “Whispering” Pat Welsh and bush storyteller Neil Kearney covering the golf, tennis and cricket. It wouldn’t be a Seven summer of sport without them.

1 Like

Bruce has not been on the tennis for the last 2 years.

James Brayshaw will probably be the anchor of Seven’s Cricket coverage.

For goodness sake, this is getting farcical

1 Like

Why? He has a long history with Seven including anchoring cricket coverage.

OK he may have drunk the dickhead syrup while at 9, but how about laying off the hyperbole for a while.

6 Likes

With Seven deciding to sell the 2019 Australian Open broadcast rights to Nine for $48.5 million, does it mean the 7tennis Twitter account and the 7tennis app will become redundant at the end of this year? Seven has two more tournaments to show this year - Wimbledon starting next week and September’s Davis Cup World Group playoff between Austria and Australia.

1 Like

They could retain the Wimbledon rights?

1 Like

I think they have rights for 2019. As we’ve seen today though, doesn’t necessarily mean much if the right $'s are offered up.

Wimbledon will probably head back to Nine in 2020 when the rights are up

1 Like

That will depend on whether Nine acquires the rights to the 2023 Ashes series in England, because Wimbledon very often clashes with an Ashes test.

2 Likes

Jason Richardson hosting with Geoff Masters (great to see, only saw him on screen in a ‘blink or you’ll miss it’ scenario in recent years on Aus Open), from what I’d guess is Seven Sport studio at BCM?

Todd Woodbridge and Newk in the UK as normal.

Coverage on 7Two at present with Aussie.