Seven Tennis Coverage

The shifting between multichannels is still confusing, as is the tennis being dropped from the main channel at night in Perth for the second week.

That’s one hell of a presser, kudos Cynic :clap:

In regards to the Hopman Cup & Brisbane International, is it safe to assume that Seven will adopt a ‘flexible scheduling’ model whereby it will be determined on a session-by-session basis which channel will air the coverage?

Herald Sun reports Seven faces a serious challenge in retaining broadcast rights to the summer of tennis, as Nine considers switching from cricket to tennis.

2 Likes

That’s from the Confidential camp. It’s getting more and more difficult to guess which of their stories are actually true.

8 Likes

9 may have more time to present tennis from 2019 with fewer ODI commitments to undertake, although just what that may mean for the lead in tournaments isn’t clear.

A guide to 2018 Hopman Cup. Coverage will be on 7, 7two And 7mate

3 Likes

Amid some speculation on here that Bill McDonald has been dropped from 7 News Brisbane, he’ll still be working at the Brisbane International this weekend for the network.

2 Likes

Maybe they want Perth people to see the matches live at the arena instead of on tv :joy:

Seven losing the Australian Open? I don’t believe it for a second. And given the odd last ‘secretive’ deal, sounds like Tennis Australia prefer them anyway.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if Nine have a crack, especially as TA will no doubt go down the appropriate negotiation channels this time. With a strong possibility of CBS owned Ten getting all the cricket rights.

Factors I think network execs like about the Aus Open particularly:

-Prime time back to back over 2 weeks (plus morning/arvo as lead-ins)
-Leads straight into ratings survey
-Strong key demo results
-Finals (especially Men’s) can draw the biggest ratings of the year, with huge audiences in Sydney and Melbourne if they’re big ones (such as this year, with popular icons or Aussie like in 2005).

Factors test nor BBL cricket can provide annually.

Thoughts?

NB/
There is a chance within a few years, one of the networks will be blind-sided or left dry, example: Nine losing test cricket to Ten but failing to acquire tennis. Surely it would be unlikely though.

The old switcheroo in Perth in the 2nd week which is annoying

Hopman Cup:

1 Like

As per last season, during tennis telecasts, the “Live & Free” add-on is controlled from the production, rather than Seven (BCM).

So when there’s replays (when needed) or delayed matches, they can easily control that.

Because it chops/changes frequently.

This Summer, the 7Tennis website/app has a HD stream of the broadcast coverage for ‘Premium’ subscribers. Here’s a comparison between the various streams available:

Seven SD

Seven HD

World Feed (also available in HD for ‘Premium’ subscribers)

1 Like

Olympics watermark returns too

2 Likes

@Jeffmister Are you able to tell if there’s any quality difference between 7HD broadcast & HD app?

Here’s broadcast (with HD below, as per Rio 2016 due to Olympics add-on, otherwise it’s usually on the right of “7”):

Great to hear Michael Felgate on Seven’s tennis coverage :ok_hand:

I wonder if he’s hosting via the Seven Sport studio at BCM (or if what I heard was just a promo V/O)?

50 pm19 pm
Channel 7 refreshed with new graphics.
41 pm
Basil Zempilas hosting and commentating the Hopman Cup

Think the 7HD channel is slightly better quality-wise. In saying that, the difference is very noticeable between the SD and HD streams

2 Likes

7 will have seperate production controls rooms to the world feed switch of the matches.

4 Likes