Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Yeah, that’s her!
That’s probably one of the best performances i’ve seen from her!
She’s had a few doozies before

God, the thought of these people anchoring a full local news bulletin is scary. Hopefully SC plans to bring in some more experienced talent if they are going to substantially grow their local news service under some sort of Nine Local News brand.

4 Likes

I’ve also seen him reporting on the SC South Australian bulletin in the past, he is also the main fill in for Tim Hatfield.

I’m hoping with Nine and SC’s grand announcement that they will be working together to better utilize each other for news - that these 2 minute noodle updates at least become 3-4 minute updates and they are imbedded in the 6pm news hour with hosts in Sydney Brisbane and Melbourne throwing to them.

“For our Sydney viewers we’ll be back after this break, for everyone else - we cross now to your local newsroom for your local news and weather”

I agree.

SCA needs to sign up some presenters/reporters currently on WIN/Seven QLD/Prime7 for any new local news services for their soon to be Nine-affiliated stations. Familiar faces to regional audiences can drive the new news bulletin to success, I somehow doubt that most of SC10’s current news update presenters are capable of that…

1 Like

I think the current poor quality of them means that would be a negative to people taking their news seriously. Bury them as updates in the afternoon, and then enter prime time when they are ready to do a proper bulletin, or whatever their service will look like.

Unless on 1 July they can suddenly get to at least the quality of Prime’s updates - which the last time I saw them, were far superior to SC’s in every aspect.

3 Likes

Absolutely. It’ll be business as usual until things can get rolled out. Can’t just pull these kind of things together in the space of a few weeks.

1 Like

Well hopefully Nine can give them the makings of a decent graphics package - especially for Weather - which is SC’s biggest weakness.

Though maybe it’d be worth branding them as Southern Cross - to distance it from Nine’s News brand for now. The changeover being on a Friday doesn’t help.

1 Like

Southern Cross is a huge media company with it’s production HD in Canberra. That is a large city with a lot of talent. And the company has a lot of money.

You would think SC (with stations that reach upwards of 7 million people) would be able to build one decent set - like a 7 News Adelaide quality type thing, and use it for

SC SA News (30 minutes)
Ten NNSW News (2 minute updates)
and the upcoming Nine Local News

Build a great set with plasma and video screen, that can easily swap out the branding for the respective needs. Maybe some lighting changes - boom. Done.

6 Likes

Wearing GM5FK shirt in Canberra update.

4 Likes

Worthy cause but seriously it’s a news bulletin. Brian Henderson never wore a t shirt to read the news.

11 Likes

I love the fact that you can’t even see the t-shirt.

1 Like

you’re obviously joking with that comparison aren’t you?
Jared Coote was at the hospital doing crosses to the telethon tonight.

1 Like

No. What newsreader does their job in a tshirt?

1 Like

I’m certainly all for newsreaders supporting a good cause, but wouldn’t it be better for them to wear a badge or a ribbon or something that represents the “Give Me 5 For Kids” campaign but without distracting from the actual content of the update?

4 Likes

I think you’ve nailed the reason for wearing the shirt…

3 Likes

Totally. I never said don’t support the cause but reading the news loses its gravitas when you’re wearing a cartoon tshirt.

4 Likes

You’re worried about a t-shirt? Back in the olden days the newsreaders were lucky to wear pants or shorts under the desk!

They can dress like Ronald McDonald under the desk… it’s about what the viewer sees.

5 Likes

I’d be more worried if they dressed like Humphrey B Bear under the desk… so would their colleagues… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes