Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Must be a first!

It must be me getting old but TV news reporters seriously look about 12 years old these days… :confused:

Just about - most of the SCA reporters and in their early 20s.

aren’t most reporters on regional TV in the early 20s… that’s where they start?

my point was that as one gets old we look at 20-somethings as being like children. It’s about perception.

If I was a teenager I’d look at a 20 or 30-something and think they were ancient.

It wasn’t a criticism, just an observation in one getting older.

This is not the first time the standing up position has been used. This quite a regular feature on the bulletin.

Wagga Wagga updates

1 Like

Still awful. The presenter looks like he is leaning on the desk. His jacket is straight out of anchorman. The audio is terrible and so is his presentation skills. They’d be better off voicing over updates with vision than these half arsed attempts at reporting ‘news’.

2 Likes

…and what about the laptop being seen on the desk? Surely they could move it out of shot so the presentation looks just a little bit more professional? :confounded:

While some of SC10’s news update presenters are decent enough (and a few have gone onto bigger and better things), others like Jared Coote and Sam Hunt would probably be better as general news reporters…if only SC10 had an actual news service!

I agree, but sourcing vision for such updates would probably be too expensive for SCA!

So they’ve ditched the “standing up with an iPad” experiment and are back to sitting down behind their laptops?

Ol’ Cootsy has quite the following on Facebook… 4,183 likes on “Jared Coote’s Biggest Fans” page.

1 Like

Does he know how sentences work? Weird pauses in the middle. Of sentences and then no pause at all in between sentences it’s very distrac. Ting.

2 Likes

Not everywhere; this is this week in Queensland where you can see how essential the iPad is to the presentation.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but isn’t the “iPad Presentation” something they just do for the shorter 40 Second evening updates while the longer 2 Minute morning and afternoon ones are in the “traditional” standing style?

At least that’s the impression I seem to get judging by the clips here…

The prime time updates used to be done sitting down (Nov 2015) as well. Queensland has not been getting any morning or afternoon updates since September 2015 as far as I know. They were replaced by updates and state weather reports from TVQ. So that video shows the entire news output across the day.

1 Like

But he has his own fan club on Facebook. That’s all that matters.

2 Likes

I don’t get the SC approach to these.

Under the “points” system each local area must earn 90 points a week. Each minute of local “news” (even rip & read) earns 2 points, so that is 45 minutes a week needed or about 6.5 minutes a day. That is per local area - so for SC Ten that is 20 local areas across QLD, NNSW, SNSW, ACT and VIC alone.

That is about 130 minutes_ a day_ of local “news” across its “network” of stations in the bigger aggregated markets.

Considering they run this content in commercial breaks, that is_ over 2 hours of lost ad revenue per day._

That is significant lost revenue! SC Ten reaches over 7 million Australians across it’s 20 local market area - almost 1 in 3 Australians. That is almost the combined audience of the Sydney and Melbourne TV markets.

So now, put that in perspective - imagine Seven or Nine giving up 2 hours of ad revenue a DAY in SYD and MEL.

That would run into millions. Tens of millions annually.

Am I missing something?

At some point - giving up 2 hours of lost ad revenue a day to ad audience of 7 million people is costing you tens of millions in ad revenue a year.

WIN has stated it costs about $1m per year to reach each of it’s local news services.

SC Ten would almost be better off running local news at 6 in it’s markets, keeping Family Feud on One and 11 - and selling advertising IN it’s local news at 6 - to offset the cost - instead of pulling 2 hours of ad revenue a day for this content.

Am I missing something?

I think SC Ten would struggle to fill the extra add breaks to be honest. They struggle now, filling in time with “community” advertisements, program advertisements (with no date or air time) and these “news” updates.

Those are so dodgy. Even using part of the original Ten v/o and cutting bits out of it.

1 Like

Who would have thought it 25 years news quality, set and production in local TV actually went backwards.

Here is the local Canberra “Ten News” on the then branded Capital Television, when it was an affiliate of Ten and had a full hour of local news at 6. Here it is 25 years ago in 1990 with a decent set, and live crosses.

Then in 1990, Capital Television owned the Canberra Perth and Adelaide Ten stations

Of course when Southern Cross bought the Canberra Ten affiliate - they axed the local news after 40 years

Ten News Canberra, 1990

1 Like

Southern Cross News SA has recently reached 8000 likes! Also has been making a much bigger presence with more updates and posting of main stories from each nights bulletin.

1 Like