Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Strange day and also week to air the final bulletin. Sadder that there was no opportunity to say goodbye, or have an opportunity to thank viewers and show some historical clips.

1 Like
3 Likes

Points from the article:

• Staff were told this morning that last night’s bulletin would be their last
  • SCA is trying to find redeployment for the reporters who are losing their jobs
1 Like

Very odd to end so abruptly, and on a Wednesday. Makes sense though to just have 7TWO simulcasting the Adelaide schedule. Never should have been moved across.

1 Like

Prime Local News in Wollongong, Canberra and Newcastle was axed on a Friday morning in 2001. Crews were out filming and were told to come back to the station. So the Thursday Night news was their last with no mention of any cancellation.

I think it’s odd to axe mid week and it’s not even the end of the financial year so it was probably budgeted for at least until 30 June.

I honestly think the bulletin has been hanging on by a thread for many years now knowing SCA’s history with TV and the advertising dollars in regional tv.

1 Like

Hardly a surprise, the product has been average at best for the past couple of years, with no obvious investment. The fact they couldn’t be bothered to take steps (networks have a Twitter media contact for this stuff) to retrieve their ‘locked’ social media accounts, says a lot.

2 Likes

Pretty poor move to axe the bulletin and not allow the staff to say goodbye.

Just sell the stations to someone else who will actually serve the community. If only regional bulletins were made a mandatory requirement of all stations, not just the ones on the east coast.

5 Likes

SCN in Victoria aired its last local news bulletin on a Thursday – 26 May 1994 – the day before changing its branding to Ten Victoria. But at least the team had a chance to give viewers a farewell.

3 Likes

Hearing off the grapevine they’re only keeping one Reporter. Daniel Pizzarro and he’s off to Launceston.

The others are leaving the company.

2 Likes

Really sad to hear it’s been axed (though not surprised) - definitely sucks there was no farewell

1 Like

What’s the history of this bulletin? How long has it been on air for?

There’s people on this forum who would no more but it’s been going for a few decades - including as ‘GTS/BKN News’ I believe

Later Central News, Southern Cross News, etc

1 Like

Since the stations started:
GTS 1 March 1968; 55 years ago
BKN: 16 August 1968; 54 years ago

It was the local TV news for the area.

Again, you could’ve done a retrospective as part of a farewell.

6 Likes

It’s got a good 50 years behind it in various forms.
production moved to Canberra in like 2010 or there abouts, then to Hobart a few years ago.

GTS BKN News Port Pirie Drive in closes 1984 - YouTube

Southern Cross GTS/BKN News; Selgas last night - YouTube

Southern Cross News GTS/BKN (3.11.2015) - YouTube

GTS BKN Central News 5th July 1997 - YouTube

Southern Cross News SA - GTS/BKN Celebrating 50 Years of broadcasting - YouTube

3 Likes

This is very bad news for GTS/BKN viewers in Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill.

1 Like

SA’s last locally produced commercial news show axed

Shouldn’t that be regional commercial news show?

Biggest investment seemed to have been the mic flags with the 7 Spencer Gulf logo honestly

Reporters did a really good job though

1 Like

I must say I’m actually surprised that the bulletin lasted as long as it did. I thought it was going to get the chop years ago.

3 Likes

Why was it moved to 7two?

Moved to 7two when Seven News Adelaide was extended to an hour.

3 Likes

Sad end to GTS/BKN News. It reflects the financial struggle media outlets in regional Australia are facing.

3 Likes