Seven & Ten News (SCA)

100% this. Anything live will have occasional issues and as others have pointed out it happens everywhere.

This is normally an incredibly polished broadcast. One bad night doesn’t take away from that.

5 Likes

One just has to watch Sky News or ABC News 24 to see the amount of live news broadcast mistakes automation can bring. Leave 7 Tasmania alone.

3 Likes

I agree. 7 Tasmania has high production values compared to WIN etc. And EVERY news service around the world has technical difficulties sometimes. Not just 7 Tasmania.

6 Likes

I can’t help but thinking that many people in this forum generally hold our commercial and national broadcasters to a high standard and will pounce on even the slightest technical hiccup, because “these are the professionals and should know what they are doing”. I must admit I don’t mind watching or listening to moments when gremlins get in the system. It makes for great entertainment.

The reality is technical f***ups happen. It happens in every industry. Even more so now because we are reliant on computers than ever before. Even the most seasoned professional will succumb to the evil gremlins from time to time. One off or occasional events should be overlooked but if it’s a regular occurrence, by all means, subject those charged with operating, maintaining and purchasing the equipment to an inquisition as that can affect revenue (excluding the ABC) and ratings. Things that broadcasters cannot afford to lose. If you’re going to lose your mind on a one off event, then you might need to rethink your priorities.

4 Likes

We used to love watching the news or other live shows and if something went wrong seeing how long before they cut back to the presenter on the big phone to the control room to get the details. In-ears really took away some great entertainment from those days!

2 Likes

The Cheap Seats wouldn’t have much to poke fun at if these bloopers didn’t occur. I was thinking during last week’s show quality content has been thin on the ground since Nine sorted out their automation issues.

Seems the noodle updates have a new fill-in presenter, Will Boddy.

YT Credit: Will Boddy

3 Likes

Not too bad for his first time :smile:

Is he a sports reporter/radio news by trade?

For what it’s worth, I admire the whole team down there in TAS that works on the news.

When I worked at SCA in Canberra doing the schedules for Hobart/Launceston I’d speak to various people in the TAS news team (for reasons such as when there was AFL or cricket etc on 7 which would affect the timing of the news or the news updates that get produced) and you could tell that they really cared about their jobs and worked hard (and were respectful towards me as well).

I don’t know all the ins an outs of putting the news to air every night, I’m sure it’s more difficult than it seems. People should not be so critical.

4 Likes

@foxyrover, Will previously read news for Hobart FM in a voluntary position, according to his Linkedin account :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the time pressure is really the killer too. When things are under such strict time pressures the staff don’t have the luxury of tweaking things when something goes wrong - they need to do the best they can quickly and move on or nothing goes to air.

And let’s not forget that regional TV isn’t blessed with the same resources as their metro counterparts. They have less staff, doing more tasks, for probably less pay - and are therefore probably more skilled from having a wider range of tasks.

2 Likes

Updates from yesterday

3 Likes

Did the 2.25pm update go to air with the vision frozen and no sound at the 0:28 mark? Or was that a glitch with the video upload?

1 Like

Are these the only updates provided throughout the day?

11.55am
12.35pm
1.30pm
2.25pm
3.25pm

1 Like

No, it was my PVRs fault. Update didn’t have any glitches on air.

No, there is more during the night.

6 Likes

Absolutely agree with that. Although my job certainly was not the same, everything to do with TV involves being carefully aware that things have to be ready to go within enough time (before they have go to air etc.)

Certainly don’t feel that kind of pressure for a lot of other jobs

2 Likes

Friday (9.9.2022): 7 Tasmania went for 90 minutes like ATN, HSV, BTQ and TVW.

3 Likes

Britt Aylen did the weather tonight.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Run down of ‘local’ Canberra 10 News First update just now:

• Federal Labor childcare rebate.
  • Optus data breach (with footage ripped straight from 10 News First Breakfast)
  • Car safety ratings impacting residents of the ACT (and everywhere else in the country)
  • Something about the Raiders
  • Local weather map.

It’s laughable that this passes for local content quota. Wasn’t one thing local about it except the passing sport and weather mentions.

6 Likes