Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Very possible. The arrangement they had with Seven for the brand relaunch was either miscommunicated or broke down, so for all we know Seven has refused to provide them with what they need to update the graphics

2 Likes

Well how does it explain Seven Tasmania (Southern Cross at the time) being able to use the 2011-2013 Seven News graphics when Seven were using them at the same time?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Seven (Southern Cross)

6:30 - 6:45 tonight was not only dedicated to a walk down memory lane but a walk around the old studio with some old faces with acoustic music overlay of “take me back” played by former employees.

21 Likes

Who could forget Sebastian the Slightly Sparkling Southern Cross Star!!!

7 Likes

I hope TNT manages to donate these vintage items to a history museum for everyone to see, before the SCA guys are ready to punch the “sell” button on the station.

1 Like

That map projection alone warrants its own exhibition in a museum and needs to be preserved. So many legendary newsreaders presenting in front of it. It graced many newsrooms but none longer than TNT9!

Edit: credit to all the various YouTube channels I screenshotted from.

17 Likes

I suspect that was part of the previous affiliate agreement, not the current one. Which if I recall correctly (and I am happy to be corrected) was actually delayed slightly due to accommodate the station rebranding.

Wasn’t there significant discussion (potentially just on here) around the name change and the failure around the agreement of Seven West to agree to allow the then SCTV to rebrand to Seven News Tasmania? If they wouldn’t let them use the name maybe graphics was excluded too.

Either way, Happy Birthday TNT9, TasTV, SCN, SCTV, and Seven Tas…the little engine that could on the hill in Launceston.

1 Like

And when blue went out of fashion, just make it red for another decade of use!

8 Likes

The way TNT values its history is incredible to see. Real credit to the station.

15 Likes

Whenever I see the comments about how SCA hates TV and puts in the bare minimum I have to remember there’s like two levels of them. The TNT standard and the rest of the network, seeing all the stories on the facebook page and the footage they’ve used and everything that they continue to serve up each night you can see why they are the number 1 station in Tasmania and they know how to put together metro level broadcasts and you can tell there’s a real sense of pride and loyalty in those who have worked there and continue to work there.

12 Likes

Stark difference between something that is top-rating and pulls in the advertising dollars, versus something that is shoe-horned in due to legislative requirements (SCA 10 noodle updates) or is a legacy product in a smaller market that rates but nowhere near as much (GTS/BKN news).

The noodle updates have definitely improved in presentation quality since the co-location with TNT, but they’re still only noodle updates.

5 Likes

But SCA does hate TV and does do the bare minimum

SCA has already expressed interest in selling off 7 TAS if they can get the right price for it

Before 2004, everything to do with the station used to be done in tasmania

Outsourcing everything they could to places like Canberra and later doing things like running dirty feeds on their top station and outsourcing operations to NPC media and the like shows just how little they care about it

(I remember my colleagues describing going from Canberra to TAS to talk to them and they would only complain about how things were being done in canberra and weren’t 100% being done in tasmania)

The only reason they keep putting effort into the news down there is because it’s financially beneficial for now (Ten Capital News was arguably better but they had no problem axing it did they?)

2 Likes

I wonder which one makes money? :thinking:

1 Like

Here are all of the TNT9 60th anniversary news reports from 7 News Tas in one video

12 Likes

7 Tasmania at the weekend:

Sat - Louise presented from Launceston

Comparison to Hobart studio previous Saturday

Sun - Tom Johnson presented

Sunday afternoon updates presented by this bloke!

Not sure if it’s his first time or just the first I’ve seen him myself but welcome! :grin:

22 Likes

at least we now know what you look like irl :smile:

2 Likes

Well done, first time on air? Will have to keep an eye out now!

Have also noticed Makenna Baily has moved from doing the noodle updates to doing Hobart reports on 7Tas.

8 Likes

That’s right - Victoria Eastoe has been presenting the QLD updates since Makenna started reporting for 7 Tasmania.

IIRC, a similar scenario happened last year when Grace Evans moved from presenting noodle updates to reporting for 7 Tasmania - Kasey Wilkins has been presenting the Regional VIC updates ever since :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well done, @Techster :slight_smile:

5 Likes