Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Maybe we’d have better luck if the SC10 news updates were made in New Zealand.

1 Like

Yep. Pretty sure they speak Australian English in Tasmania, not French.

They’re listening to us. Just saw the latest Canberra update and they pronounced Manuka correctly.

10 Likes

It’s not the responsibility of the 10 network to do those noodle updates, that’s SCA responsibility

3 Likes

Why would channel 10 spend money producing new content for someone else’s TV station

1 Like

Didn’t Nine do it for SCA for five years in exchange for a bigger slice of the revenue pie?

If you look at news production as a commodity to sell (either to advertisers or to TV stations), it doesn’t matter where the money comes from.

ITN in the UK sells news production to ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

4 Likes

It seems that was the exception to the rule and was specifically written into their affiliation agreement. Nine were the only metro network producing news content for their affiliate and they seemed pretty keen to back out of that obligation by signing a deal with WIN

3 Likes

Indeed. But if the changes in broadcast television have taught us anything over the past 7 years it’s that nothing is impossible.

SC could easily have asked Ten to make their noodle updates (indeed they may have) in exchange for money. Or SC spends their own money and make their own ‘news’. SC would certainly have looked for the cheapest possible solution to their obligations.

However, it does seem that SC is now prepping for a possible offload to Seven in two years, which may be a contributing factor.

2 Likes

Looks like SCA was very keen to pay less as a percentage of revenue to channel 10 and I would imagine that drawing a line in the sand on revenue would not leave them in a good position to ask Ten to pay for and produce the news updates.

1 Like

Plus SCA have existing facilities in Hobart and Launceston with assets and people that should be fully used. It should be financially better for them this way (quality concerns aside).

Ten probably have enough problems squeezing everything into Sydney and Melbourne without having to find space for the dozens of updates for SCA each weekday.

2 Likes

They were pretty busy with Tas, NT and SA news already. But they seem to have found the studio time.

Bit of a surprise with today’s update.

Three photos were used within the one update and a transition slide was used between each one (which is the first time I’ve seen one used). The entire update was almost close to perfect, the only thing they got wrong was the pronunciation of Kiama.

5 Likes

Does 7Tas still do morning news updates under the Sunrise branding?

If so, does anyone know if they updates this morning/have caps?

1 Like

Can confirm they still run the updates but I have no recordings sorry.

2 Likes

As great as 7 Tas News presentation is, they’re still using old supers across the board. Doubtful they’ll update the Sunrise ones

7 Likes

Don’t watch TV in the mornings these days sorry but I did see a new 7 News promo yesterday for the first time that was a 7 one with Sunrise and the Olympics and 7 News etc… in it with the addition of Kim Millar in there too as they often like to do with the 7 promos. Looked good.

1 Like

Today marks one year since Rachel Williams resigned from reading the news on weekends

I just noticed that Kim Millar was wearing the exact same dark green shirt tonight that she wore this time last year on the 10th August 2020 where Rachel Williams resigned from reading the news on weekends.

Alright, that’s enough internet for today, time to go outside.

28 Likes

What’s that got to do with anything?

8 Likes