Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Lol yep!

26 Likes

Well that makes it easier! lol thanks for that!

Unless I’m thinking of a different presenter (which is quite possible), wasn’t Alexandra Sykes also a presenter of SC10 Updates back in the days they were still Canberra-produced?

IIRC Alex Sykes joined SCA after/during the relocation to Hobart.

2 Likes

You’re thinking of Alexandra Bryant, who is now a newsreader for Triple M in Melbourne :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t think I was. I’m a journalist and I learn how to pronounce place names before going on air, rather than guessing. I am just suggesting people who are paid money to read news do the same.

News is not guesswork. Newsreaders are paid to present facts, not just ‘have a go until you get it right one day’

3 Likes

Yes I’m a Journalist too and this is right. You’re paid to get place, people’s names and titles (ie- Senator or Sir) correctly. There’s are tonnes of free resources at your disposal to make this happen. You can also use a telephone to call people living in the affected towns, suburbs and people too.

I’d say there’s no or limited checks and balances here to make this happen. Not sure why someone is allowed to make constant mistakes day in day out without anyone pulling them aside and correcting them.

3 Likes

Former Nine News Darwin reporter Ainsley Koch has returned to Hobart to be a reporter for Seven News Tasmania.

Today’s local news update:

Albion Park - “Alban Park”
Gerringong - “Gerrengagong”

Albion isn’t exactly a hard word to pronounce, but Sophie Jacobsen somehow got it wrong…

6 Likes

Was she rushing it?

No she wasn’t, that’s what makes it seem so amateur. I watched another update which aired half an hour later and she managed to mispronounce the word “Albion” twice within the same update.

Shocking - hopefully she’ll improve with time.

1 Like

I do wonder…if you guys hate these updates so much, why watch them…

Like watching a crash? Just can’t seem to look away…?

1 Like

Today was the same Sophie Jacobsen
Said Canbrens again
Called Parramatta “Pannamatta”
And called josh papalii (raiders player) Josh Papalay

6 Likes

I prefer ACTians. :grinning:

4 Likes

Geez, I didn’t know it was that bad. I don’t know anyone in my circle that would mispronounce that and we live nowhere near the east coast.

14 Likes

Its pretty crazy how that could happen

2 Likes

I think it’s fair that viewers expect their local news to be accurate. If we just ignore inaccuracies in news, we may as well just record some 12 year olds talking about what they heard at school today.

8 Likes

I don’t think members here are bagging them out for the fun of it or because they hate SCA or their presenters. We all want to see the noodles improve. I think there is a general understanding that this is a cheap news operation done for a low rating network that wants out of the TV business. But, this is the first time a Canberra style news update model has been produced out of a state of the art facility. I think some of us expect a little better. The mispronunciations are pretty terrible though, no matter how you want to spin it. You either want to present news and are at least somewhat versed on town names, or you don’t.

11 Likes