Seven & Ten News (SCA)

The Prime7 News Canberra updates manage to get fresh vision for their stories. Hopefully SCA can also find a way too.

2 Likes

I’m not optimistic. The quality of the noodle updates never seemed to improve when they were a Ten affiliate in the past, even if they had some decent journos presenting them before they went on to bigger and better roles. These look decent but I doubt they have a vision library to utilise. Perhaps they’ll add a ticker or OTS graphics in the future but I don’t expect anything more than a rip and read service and information sourced from regional newspapers.

4 Likes

I remember WIN in Northern NSW/GC started with using file vision/vision from Police Media/photos/sourced video from Facebook etc when it first started, but the effort to source these over the years has fallen off a cliff.

1 Like

Metro updates also shown mirroring what WIN did.

8 Likes

I suspect these are provided by 10 for use but still very pro. Tasmania SCA have always had relatively pro presentation.

1 Like

They didn’t need to cheap out so much on the 7 Update pres though.

You’d think they’d put the talent through a regional place name pronunciation boot camp before they put them on air. Where the hell is “Key-arma”? :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

Aside from the title cards, how have they cheaped out on the 7 Local Updates compared to the 10 Local Updates?

Reminds me a bit when the Perth news being produced out of Pyrmont before the move to Dianella in 2008, occasionally causing some suburb names being pronounced incorrectly. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about.

These presenters for SC news for Ten look young like they’ve just graduated uni.

So I googled Makenna Baily and says was an intern at 9 and graduated in Dec 2020.

I don’t know if it’s the way they read it or just that there is no picture behind them and/or no footage, the update sort of seems dull.

5 Likes

Got the weather map correct this time.

8 Likes

Rockhampton and Yeppoon get cut off the map.

Yet I know of people with lots of radio experience, produced News Updates for Prime7 and know how to say “Kiama” correctly who were turned away for these jobs. Go figure.

6 Likes

Must be near “No-ra.” :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Seriously? They could’ve at least hired those who had years of experience on the radio and producing/presenting news updates

generally want to be paid above minimum wage.

8 Likes

He rally good looking updates. Boring “news” and clearly these kids are just out of uni and doing their best but their delivery needs polish as do their scripts. They look a little like deer in headlights.

Clearly they opted for these rookies to pay them really cheaply.

I find it really weird that SCA cannot source footage as overlay to make these a little bit authentic.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to hear how they pronounce Woonona, Bulli, Towradgi and Warrawong.

2 Likes

Graphics for these new updates are great (albeit lacking in localism for local updates).

Content, however is tokenistic, outdated and woeful and the updates (I know they’re doing their best) look like they are being presented by the work experience kid.

Assume SCA employed the cheapest/youngest possible people they could…

Hoping these updates get better but I doubt it - SCA putting minimum possible amount of money into them.

4 Likes