Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Say hi to JOHN HUNT for us! :rofl:

3 Likes

Don’t you mean:
“SAY HI TO JOHN HUNT FOR US!”

12 Likes

In Darwin for the weekend like many else and i don’t understand how the locals deal with seven Melbourne and then noodle updates.

For 1) they’re shit and tell you nothing
2) there’s barely 3 stories each update and they’re super brief that if you blink and you’ll miss it

Thankfully we have the ABC and 9 does well but me and my mates wanted some substantial news before the footy.

8 Likes

Welcome to regional Australia.

2 Likes

Spare a thought for the people of Mildura, Griffith, Mt Gambier, Riverland and Imparja viewers. They don’t even have local news updates.

I imagine (Southern Cross) Ten’s updates will be in the same world as what Seven Tasmania produce now for Darwin and Central. Faces to camera with no imagination.

2 Likes

Local news websites and Facebook groups are far more useful for local news than a short update on television.

2 Likes

Depends on which local sites and Facebook groups are trustworthy.

Scone.com.au has major ads for one of the candidates in the by-election, which can make them look biased. And don’t forget people spreading fake crap on Facebook.

1 Like

Does Tasmania get Victoria’s Coronavirus Press Conferences?

1 Like

It has always been like that the entire time I was living in Darwin. There’s no room for a 3rd news bulletin in Darwin

1 Like

Where’s Murph been lately?

Surely SCA could do a “7 News” for Darwin just like they do for Tasmania, they did when it was Telecasters Australia Ltd, at least they invested a lot of money into Seven Darwin at the time. Having 7 News Melbourne on air on a Seven affiliate in Darwin does not make sense. Firstly it is delayed due to the time difference, and secondly 90% of the stories are only relevant to Victoria and means absolutely nothing to those in the Territory. If Nine can do a Darwin bulletin, and Seven Queensland can do Seven Local News so can SCA in Darwin! Or why not use the Seven Queensland resources to prepare a Darwin bulletin, they are affiliates after all!

Why would they do something that they’re not legally obliged to do that’s almost definitely not going to turn a profit? You neglect to realise that businesses like SCA only care about the bottom line - if 7 Tasmania had poor ratings you can guarantee they’d pair back or scrap the news output down to a legally defined minimum.

Because Seven don’t own or produce anything specifically for SCA and they’d have to pay money to Seven for the resources to create a bulletin that likely wouldn’t make any money.

Becuase it was brand new and they were trying to get eyeballs on the channel at a time where it was just Channel 8 and the ABC and nothing else.

3 Likes

7 Darwin has no money.

Nine’s revenue is 10x more than what 7 and 10 make up there. Please note Nine News Darwin got a boost because they are being supported by the regional news grants.

9 Likes

I do wonder WHY 7 Darwin takes the Melbourne bulletin as opposed to SYD BNE or ADL? Is it purely because of the AFL content?

I recall years ago someone saying Melbourne news also had more of a national focus which made it more suitable for Darwin. Although they could have been talking about NTD taking Melbourne news on weekends and not 7 Darwin? I don’t think there’s much truth to it though.

3 Likes

Considering they took BTQs bulletin prior to switching to the Melbourne bulletin this is probably accurate.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, NTD used to carry the first half (or thereabouts) of Nine News Sydney on weekends before crossing to the local studios for a quick bite of local news + more comprehensive local Sport/Weather.

Not sure if there’s that much more national content in a local TV news bulletin for Melbourne compared to a Sydney one, since both would have their fair share of stories which don’t travel well outside the metro area of their own state let alone to the Northern Territory.

AFL content seems like a more plausible explanation for Seven/Ten Melbourne news making it up there, since that code seems have considerably more of a following in Darwin/NT than the NRL. Although on the whole, both major football codes seem to be covered well by FTA television up there.

1 Like

Sorry for the late responses here, I just remembered I saw this post when you wrote it and I didn’t know at the time.

I haven’t been home of a weekday so I’m not sure but I noticed last weekend we had the press conference live while Sydney had the normal programming so it’s quite likely that Tas would have had them.

Just on holidays I’m pretty sure, should be due back soon but I remember him making a comment a couple of weeks ago just before he went.

1 Like

Seven Darwin carries a Melbourne relay so AFL is shown in the Northern Territory.

It’s logistically easier to carry a pure Melbourne feed rather than creating a customised schedule. Melbourne also has better AFL coverage.

Same goes for NTD carrying QTQ bulletin on weekends but Nine Darwin also chose to carry Brisbane in 2018 to keep Jono on screens.

3 Likes

An Adelaide or Brisbane feed for AFL won’t work because of the different schedule to include Fox Footy games featuring local teams and they probably can’t show these in Darwin

2 Likes