Seven & Ten News (SCA)

I don’t think that was part of the decision making there, I mean there wasn’t really any alignment between the two bulletins, except for them briefly sharing the same title card. Even when they were both Southern Cross News the branding was completely sperate.

It would be good for a refresh; the issue is 7 doesn’t want the bulletin to be named anything that sounds like 7 News.

1 Like

One thing that hasn’t really been mentioned is the fact that the station is called ‘Seven Tasmania’. Not Channel Seven or Seven Network. So I’m pretty sure they can call it whatever they like as long as it’s in the order of ‘Seven Tasmania’. Someone mentioned further back they should have called it Southern Cross Seven or added ‘Southern Cross’ text under the 7 logo. Probably wouldn’t have been a bad idea in retrospect.

You’d hope Seven won’t have a problem with branding their bulletin as Seven Tasmania News (which Tasmania reporters sign off with) or Seven Tasmania Nightly News (which the presenter says).

Imagine if Southern Cross Austereo got Rob Fairs back to present sport like they got Kim Millar back to read the news after Jo Palmer resigned.

That was me

:+1:

6 Likes

Haven’t seen a farewell like the one given to Tom for a long time. Shows how much of a big loss he’s going to be. He introduced his final Friday Flashback and then said a goodbye message before Lou added some more and they had a package made up for him (I assume it will be on the YouTube soon or somebody will be here encoding it right away!) Then Tom and Lou talked a bit more but you could tell that both were really quite emotional about it all.

Going to be a big loss… also, did others know that Tom was on the TV show First Dates back in 2016? That made an appearance in the footage!

EDIT: He just made a reappearance with Murph at the end of the weather too telling Lou to hurry up with the closer so they could go do some serious farewelling! The entire closer has been Tom Johnson footage too - Murph was right calling it the Tom Johnson hour.

4 Likes

Total legend that’s why. There are only a few names that come to mind who put their heart into the job (especially sport) as much he did. Ray James, Rob Fairs and David McQueston.

1 Like

I suspect Seven didn’t want them to co-brand the station as 7 Southern Cross (or similar), I imagine they didn’t want their brand diluted.

Re news, it’s a little surprising they didn’t keep the ‘Southern Cross News’ name for the 6pm bulletin, similar to how NBN/WIN have kept their legacy news brands despite the station brand now being Nine.

Meanwhile Prime7 existed for over 10 years…

They didn’t have a problem with PRIME and GWN rebranding to PRIME7 and GWN7 in 2011

WIN is still an affiliate which is why their news bulletin is WIN News

Southern Cross is still an affiliate which is why their news bulletin is Southern Cro… oh wait.

7 Likes

I think 7 had two other things at play here … 1. that they had their eyes on buying Prime7 in more recent years anyway and 2. that they saw 9 flexing their muscles on regional Nine stations and decided to do the same.

1 Like

Tonight’s full bulletin.

As great as Tom’s highlight package was it did overlook his serious side, e.g. tonight’s lead story.

Along with Ray James, Rob Fairs and David McQuestin he joins the likes of Peter Gilligan, Shane Yates and Steve Titmus.

Great send off for Tom, he will be missed from our screens. I didn’t realise he had been around since 2016!

Side topic: TNT hasn’t been locally owned since ENT sold the station in 1988, however it has always still felt very local. TVT was still locally owned until ENT sold to WIN in 1994. It’s rare to compliment SCA for anything but the rebrand to 7 Tasmania has been a successful rebrand and still feels like our local station. WIN managed to cock everything up since the takeover in 1994. WIN still has fantastic journo’s pumping out news on a daily basis but sadly their work is lost in what is seen locally as a substandard product.

8 Likes

Lou was presenting so it was from Hobart where they don’t do them. Still happen on the nights that Kim does them or they’re from Launceston. In the bulletin above Lou would have been in Hobart and Tom and Murph in Launnie I reckon - probably a statewide party but from Jo Palmer’s post the other night it looks like it’s been a week long celebration.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Reading this article, it seems 7News is happy to claim the Tasmanian bulletin and its talent as being from 7News, but won’t allow SCA to brand it as 7News?

12 Likes

Yeah, a bit weird that - might be because he’s moving to 7 Adelaide but also because it’s got lots of 7 logos etc… to claim. Either way, still a good write up for him there.

News is advertised as being at 7:10 for Tassie tonight according to @Techster 's updates!

7 Tasmania have just released an 8 minute online only bulletin on Youtube, with the regular bulletin not airing due to the Matilda’s game.

7 Likes