Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Belconnen pronounced incorrectly again tonight in the local update. Seriously, mispronouncing names once is bad enough but now it’s a daily drinking game.

6 Likes

I did wonder if it mean that presenter needs glasses, or if the autocue text can be made larger/clearer (changing the font/styling to something where the characters clearly look different even for someone with poor eyesight).

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Future of regional affiliate branding

“Manika” Oval tonight.

The subtitles even said “Manuka (Man-i-ka)” :sob:

2 Likes

IMO, Grace Evans (the Regional Victoria SCA 10 News presenter) is one of the better presenters, along with Alex Sykes.

12 Likes

An angle on the Spencer Gulf bulletin?!

Did someone bump the camera? :thinking:

11 Likes

I am also genuinely shocked.

1 Like

Still using the same supers and graphics package they made back in 2014 even though Hobart has the updated graphics available. :expressionless:

5 Likes

Was it Belka-nen again?

3 Likes

Yeah, something like that.

3 Likes

how can you muck that up? I’ve never lived in Canberra but I know how to pronounce Belconnen :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

I know people who have called it Bel-co-nen which just sounds weird but apart from that I thought it was pretty standard but I’d like to see some samples of things and see if it’s just an accent thing or people just surprised that this is what happens when news gets produced out of regions - something many regions have already dealt with for years.

1 Like

Reign it in please, constructive criticism can be made without personally attacking presenters.

9 Likes

Proper nouns should be displayed in CAPS on autocue for this reason. Phonetically if needs be.

This has been said before, but telephones do operate in Hobart for fact checking. Proper nouns aren’t subject to accent variations - they are either wrong or right. Sure the same place name can be pronounced differently when used in different places, Launceston here in the UK is ‘Lawn-ston’ for example not Lon-sess-ton. But Melbourne is never Mel-born. Possibly “Malbin” if you have a strong Vic twang.

1 Like

Almost right, for example we still pronounce Paris differently than the French do, but those are language- not accent-variations.

Within the same language however, I think you’re right; we should pronounce a place name as the locals do.
It’s trickier when the same name is used in different locations, such as Melbourne, Florida, USA, or Albany & Albany in Aus.

1 Like

Unless you’re from overseas :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

1 Like

Never knew that Amanda Abate presented Southern Cross Ten News updates for Southern NSW before she joined Seven :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Maybe we’d have better luck if the SC10 news updates were made in New Zealand.

1 Like