Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Maybe SC7 News Tasmania?

1 Like

You mean Grant Blackley’s ‘other’ account?

Grant Blackley should know better, how did he let this happen? This is far from his finest hour.

For a bloke at the head of 10 for years and having been on the other end of a few affiliation negotiations, this has pushed him more towards the amateur hours of regional Rhys than he would’ve liked.

Yeah possibly, as long as it’s SC7 and not Southern Cross 7 News.

Is he still on FB with that name? Where’s the original post?

I wonder if this could lead to something else eventually like SC paying more and Seven producing the news or even looking to buy the stations. I know they’ve said in the past they’re not interested anymore and there’s recently been the new affiliation agreement but if they want more editorial control, we’ll see what they want to offer.

1 Like

For whatever reason it seems Ten had no problem with their brand being used for SCA updates, unlike Seven and Nine:

3 Likes

Woah

6 Likes

But rightly so… Seven have every right to protect there news brand.

It looks bad on Southern Cross’s behalf, I really thought this would have been sorted before announcing the change.

Strange that Seven are happy to slap it on the channel, but not the news. Then to have a seperate brand for news? Tacky. Really hope they somehow manage to include Seven in the news brand otherwise they might as well continue as Southern Cross. Wonder if they could carry the 7 Local News brand perhaps? I feel it’s key to have the news branded as Seven too. It’s going to feel very disjointed. It’s a real shame, Southern Cross News Tasmania could absolutely have pulled this off out of all the regionals.

2 Likes

It’s an underserved slight on the TNT newsroom. For decades it has been a leader in non metro news matched only in the present day with that of NBN.

The botched brand change is an embarrassment to SCA. These matters should’ve been settled at the time of signing the deal unless a deal was not truly signed and only in principle agreement reached to continue.

Financially, why bother with the 7 news or channel brand, SCA are paying significantly higher in affiliation fees yet continue to do the work themselves.

Imagine if you are Grant Wilson, you and your CoS answering daily calls and now social media about a name change and nothing you can do about it, all handled interstate. Product doesn’t appear to miss a beat but not ideal at all.

4 Likes

It’s just bizarre that Seven West Media are fine with the 7 logo on their Tasmania affiliate’s station, repeating what happened with Nine (so no concern about protecting their brand there), yet at the last minute complain about the news service?

An objection just about the noodle updates may be understandable, but SC7’s Tasmania news is of a reasonable quality.

I don’t see why 7WM shouldn’t be happy with the bulletin being prominently named “7 News Tasmania”.

If they want to control the product from their affiliates, then buy them (now that they can).

1 Like

Or the other option could have been for Seven to produce the news bulletins themselves ala what Nine do for SCA already in the regional areas.

If the issue was going to be around the quality of bulletins for GTS/BKN then they really had an option to ask Nine to fill the gap here by extending their agreement on the east coast to cover regional SA.

I wonder if Seven did produce the bulletins like with Nine whether that wouldn’t have guaranteed the staffing positions and may have provided uncertainty.

Unlikely to happen when the primary affiliate for SA is Seven not Nine.

1 Like

The GTS/BKN bulletin seems to be fine, the only real issues being visual and the nasal weather presenter. Fraser presents very well, as do most of the reporters.

Southern Cross News SA is much better since Tim Hatfield left and all, but one, of the current reporters are very good.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t affect them at all. SCA own all three networks and moving their news bulletin wouldn’t mean less eyeballs. Just because their original channel is what has become 7 means diddly squat.

Like I said unlikely to happen when they are a 7 affiliate in this market and considering most people in the market don’t change their tv channel from gts/bkn (6). There are many in the area who don’t know 9 exists.

1 Like

I disagree with this. Tim Hatfield was an institution in the area. Everyone knew who he was. Plus he made a effort by coming to the area regularly. Frailer hasn’t been to the area once since taking over. Also ratings have dropped by 5% since Tim left.

2 Likes

I think that would work really well.