Seven Sport

I’m confused with this VASC TV deal, can Seven take over the AGP TV rights if it becomes a championship round or does it remain with 10 & Fox Sports until the end of 2022. By the way Mark Fogarty is saying that 10 will be forced to give up the Grand Prix rights. Which I think isn’t correct, he previously stated that it was going to continue on 10.

I just honestly think it will be on 10 and Fox Sports, with 3 broadcasters showing the Supercars from next year

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/09/25/supercars-would-race-for-points-at-australian-gp-in-2021/
1 Like

This is poor form. If Seven wanted people to watch the horse race so much why did they put it on 7Two? Why does Seven want people to stop watching the cricket to watch the horse races?

2 Likes

Maybe just for the race but not anything in between so they can go back and watch the cricket in between?

4 Likes

The F1 rights are a separate deal altogether so unless 10 decide/come to an agreement with Seven to do some sort of rights transfer, Supercars are just going to have to find a solution to the issue

2 Likes

I don’t see the issue. Why can’t 10 air the AGP and Melbourne 500?

The issue is Supercars wants the Aus GP round to count towards the overall championship. Previously the issue was avoided because it was a non-championship event.

Yes I get that, but does the broadcaster really matter?

Because the Melbourne 500 round is held on the same Albert Park track as F1. Only F1 rights holders (in this case, 10 and Fox Sports) have exclusive access to the track.

Yes, its so punters who are watching the cricket, but also the races, can see that in, say 1 minute Race X is on, and they’ll switch to 7two and watch the race and once it’s done, they will switch back to 7. This means that you don’t have to channel switch all the time to see if the race is on or not.

Again, so? What’s the issue with 10 broadcasting it. Fox would broadcast it anyway.

since its an F1 round it should go to whoever has the broadcast rights to both Supercars and F1 for that weekend. No way should 10 give up the rights to the F1 & Supercar weekend. Bad luck for 7, who will just have to fight harder for the rights beyond 2023.

1 Like

Wasn’t this the case last time Seven had the Supercars? Could’ve sworn Ten carried the Supercars race alongside the rest of the AGP support categories.

Yes, because that wasn’t a championship round. This one will be. Apparently that makes it different.

1 Like

It was a Non Championship round from 2007 till a few years ago when it did become a Championship round. The issue is that it may well be a Championship round next year.

2 Likes

it shouldn’t be any different next year, it should be on 10 & Fox end of story.

1 Like

Seven really wanted viewers to switch to 7Two this afternoon

3 Likes

I wonder this this is included in any promotional parts of their contract. It is a good thing if you are a rights holder having your content promoted to other potential viewers.

On the AGP thing, surely Supercars would have some foresight and have written in the contract that these are the broadcast rights for all Supercars Championship races except for support races at the Australian Grand Prix.

1 Like

Swimming now without a broadcaster. It was very low rating anyway.

Swimming lost popularity when 10 took over the rights. The massive ratings from when it was on 9 are long gone.

But you have to feel for these low rated sports now in this post covid era. They really need to produce the content themselves and then enter some sort of revenue sharing deal with a network.

8 Likes

Swimming used to rate well when 9 had the rights

2 Likes