Seven Sport

Hard Knocks - 2023 Season

Friday 18 August 12pm 7Mate

This season The New York Jets
Ep 1: Training Camp With The New York Jets: Will the arrival of four-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers take the Jets to Super Bowl glory? This series chronicles the New York Jets training camp and pre-season ahead of the 2023 NFL Season.

3 Likes
1 Like

7Mate’s NFL coverage is scheduled to start Monday 11 September at 3:00 AM with two games at 3:00 and 6:30 followed by Armchair Experts NFL edition at 9:30 AM.

6 Likes

Does it suggest a few sports are heading Seven’s way? Not going for the Olympics means the network has a few more dollars to spend.

Could the sports include ICC tournaments?

4 Likes

Will be shared with Fox Cricket. Nine and Fox has the rights. 7 airing Australia matches and exclusive WTC finals.

Melbourne Cup carnival is up for grabs too

Could be F1 coverage (Melbs race only) too.

3 Likes

Why do they no longer show the 10:30 am game? (Sunday Night US time) I’m assuming they no longer have the rights to this?

7 and Fox partnering with lots of sports rights

3 Likes

They lost the rights to Sunday Night Football a year or two back. Now they get second pick of the Sunday afternoon (US time) early and late timeslots behind ESPN, with ESPN then getting third choice for ESPN2 or ESPN+ depending on their other commitments.

I normally pick up my preferred game off NFL Gamepass and flick through the Seven and ESPN games during commercials.

3 Likes

Could be the 2026 FIFA World Cup?

3 Likes

Nah wouldn’t be that far ahead, could just be talking about their streaming rights deals for AFL and Cricket?

5 Likes

Interesting article about the Melbourne Cup TV rights. Sounds like it could still go to either 7 or 9. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/horse-racing/vic-racing/victoria-racing-club-and-racing-victoria-at-loggerheads-over-broadcast-proposals-for-melbourne-cup-carnival/news-story/a6eb9c98e5859e602ddf61c46b1f4442

3 Likes

Seven has been eyeing a return to the Melbourne Cup carnival with 10’s rights up for grabs.

4 Likes

Why would Nine spend money on this?

It’s a sport that has way to many other options to watch it, without purely exclusive coverage than it’s not worth the hassle.

Crazy

3 Likes

It stops Seven getting it? Pretty flimsy reason, but we’ve seen pettier moves

Seriously though I suspect the off-track component is worth it as a vehicle for Nine to wine/dine clients

4 Likes

Was just about to say the same thing!

Also reinforces Nine’s now ‘a force to be reckoned with’ sports portfolio (save for what the WWC did for Seven recently), as well as their presence in Melbourne/ AFL markets and it’s still a high rating event, despite its fall over the past decade, easily still well over 1m metro broadcast and mid '000s in Melbourne alone, which is something any broadcaster would love especially for revenue and network cross-promotion including that night, as well as the year’s top programs rankings.

3 Likes

Your not picking up what would be the worst value (dollars to event) sport going around to show your credentials as a sports broadcaster.

3 Likes

Like we’re saying though, if Seven are keen, I’m sure Nine are absolutely lurking too. I guess it’ll depend how they can monetize, there’s 9Now and more so Stan Sport to also consider, as well as the entire carnival. The comment in the article about returning to a focus on the ‘colours off the field’ so to speak is also interesting, in a similar way to all the colour pieces that are an integral part of the Australian Open and was key to Nine getting/producing that, I remember then HoS Tom Malone saying.

I suspect if TAB and other stakeholders make a fuss about 7Plus and 9Now / Stan too much, the networks will immediately say ‘goodbye’, we know how vital they’ve become, just look at recent AFL, Cricket, Olympics and Tennis deals.

Wonder if Nine would be interested in the wider racinv rights, that’d really get Racing .com/Valandys/RNSW/RV/Sky filthy.

3 Likes

They won’t want to be pissing him off

This is what brings the value to the VRC - a broadcaster who focuses on the off-track goings-on will be highly valued because the VRC can leverage that when they sell the event to brands.

The value of the on-track is massively degraded by the reality that its widely available and not available exclusively.

5 Likes